
Trump Orders US Negotiators Not To Rush Iran Deal As US Blockade Stays
Key Takeaways
- Trump orders negotiators not to rush Iran deal; U.S. blockade on Iranian ports remains.
- Talks show progress toward a framework; crucial terms remain under negotiation.
- Final agreement timeline uncertain; negotiations could extend for several days.
Deal expectations cool
US President Donald Trump said he has instructed his representatives “not to rush into a deal” with Iran, while Reuters reported that Trump said there is no rush and that the US blockade stays as negotiations continue.
Trump wrote on Truth Social that “If I make a deal with Iran, it will be a good and proper one,” and he also said “negotiations are proceeding in an orderly and constructive manner.”

CNN reported that a US official told it the framework agreement could take “a few more days to finalize,” with the US and Iran still negotiating crucial details.
The BBC said the mooted deal involves a “60-day ceasefire extension,” reopening the Strait of Hormuz, and further negotiations over Iran’s nuclear programme, after Trump’s Saturday post that an agreement had been “largely negotiated.”
Nuclear and strait terms
CNN said the framework would give negotiators “60 days to iron out a longer-term agreement,” with the Strait of Hormuz and Iran’s nuclear programme described as critical.
NBC News reported that the framework would get the Strait of Hormuz “de-mined and back open for business,” and that the memorandum of understanding is structured so Iran “gets nothing until they deliver,” tying loosening of the blockade to opening the strait and delivery of enriched uranium.

BBC reported that Trump said Washington’s blockade of Iranian ports “will remain in full force and effect until an agreement is reached, certified, and signed,” while Iran continued to control the Strait of Hormuz.
CBS News said Iran has agreed in principle to dispose of highly-enriched uranium, and described a two-step process with immediate opening of the Strait of Hormuz in exchange for lifting the US blockade, followed by negotiations on a mechanism for Iran to give up nuclear programme parts.
Republican backlash and next steps
The Hill reported that Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baqaei posted on X that Iran is winning the negotiations with President Trump, while the same article said reports emerged that both sides agreed to basic terms but details still needed to be worked out and approved by Iran’s supreme leader and President Trump.
“Skip to main content 3 hours ago - Politics & Policy Trump asked Muslim leaders to join Abraham Accords after Iran war ends Barak Ravid email (opens in new window) sms (opens in new window) facebook (opens in new window) twitter (opens in new window) linkedin (opens in new window) bluesky (opens in new window) Add Axios as your preferred source to see more of our stories on Google”
MS NOW said key Republicans met the framework with skepticism, quoting Sen. Lindsey Graham warning “President Trump: Stick to your guns in getting a good deal with Iran,” and it also cited Sen. Thom Tillis saying, “It doesn’t make sense to me.”
BBC reported that the deal has split Republicans, with Sen. Ted Cruz calling it “a disastrous mistake” and Roger Wicker saying a 60-day ceasefire would mean “everything accomplished by Operation Epic Fury would be for naught!”
Reuters said the fate of Iran’s highly enriched uranium would be negotiated within 30 to 60 days, and it added that Tasnim said key clauses of a potential agreement were “unresolved at this time,” including frozen Iranian assets.
More on Iran

Donald Trump Nears 60-Day Iran Memorandum Reopening Strait of Hormuz, Clearing Mines
26 sources compared

Trump Says US-Iran Deal Is Largely Negotiated, Framework Gives 60 Days
21 sources compared

Donald Trump Says U.S. and Iran Have Largely Negotiated Deal to Reopen Strait of Hormuz
24 sources compared

Trump Tells Republicans 'Don’t Listen to the Losers' Over Iran 60-Day Ceasefire Deal
10 sources compared