Israel Intercepts Global Sumud Flotilla, Boards Ships Off Cyprus and Arrests Hundreds
Image: The Times

Israel Intercepts Global Sumud Flotilla, Boards Ships Off Cyprus and Arrests Hundreds

19 May, 2026.Gaza Genocide.4 sources

Key Takeaways

  • Global Sumud flotilla aimed to break Gaza blockade and deliver humanitarian aid.
  • Israel intercepted and boarded flotilla vessels in international waters near Cyprus.
  • Amnesty condemned the move; foreign ministers' joint statements protested the blockade.

Flotilla intercepted at sea

The Times said 41 boats in a 54-vessel flotilla were intercepted and that more than 300 activists on board were arrested, while Laodong.vn said Israeli naval commandos intercepted all 50 ships of the fleet and transferred all 430 people to Israeli ships.

Image from Laodong.vn
Laodong.vnLaodong.vn

The flotilla had set sail from Turkey and, according to The Times, the raids came shortly after the Israeli foreign ministry warned the boats to turn back.

Laodong.vn added that the Global Sumud aid convoy of 54 ships departed from the Marmaris region of Turkey on May 15 and that the organizers said Israeli forces opened fire to block many ships before landing to control and temporarily detain hundreds of international activists.

The Times also reported that GSF said 426 people were taking part in the flotilla from 39 countries, while Laodong.vn said at least 347 people from 40 countries had been arrested, including 74 Turkish citizens.

Voices trade accusations

GSF framed the interception as an attack on humanitarian solidarity, writing on X, “Global Sumud Flotilla is under attack!” and saying the Israeli occupation “abducted our volunteers.”

The Times reported that the Israeli foreign ministry claimed the flotilla was a “provocation”, and it quoted the statement on X saying, “Once again, a provocation for the sake of provocation: another so-called ‘humanitarian aid flotilla’ with no humanitarian aid.”

Image from Mehr News Agency
Mehr News AgencyMehr News Agency

Irish officials and participants also spoke directly about the detentions, with The Times quoting Dr Margaret Connolly saying, “If you are watching this video, it means I have been kidnapped from my boat in the flotilla by the Israeli occupying forces.”

Micheál Martin, the Irish prime minister, told The Times that it was unacceptable that Irish citizens had been detained and said, “In the first instance, what happened is absolutely unacceptable and is wrong.”

Turkey condemned the interception as piracy, with Laodong.vn reporting that the Turkish foreign ministry called it a “new act of piracy” and demanded Israel “immediately end its intervention and unconditionally release the detained flotilla participants.”

Diplomatic and legal stakes

Laodong.vn said foreign ministers of 10 countries issued a joint statement on May 19 protesting Israel’s blockade of ships in the aid convoy under the Global Sumud initiative and said the actions violate international law and international humanitarian law.

Creating new perspectives since 2009 May 19, 2026 at 1:15 pm Protests held in Rome and several other cities across Italy against Israel following the attack on the Global Sumud Flotilla, which aimed to break the blockade on the Gaza Strip and deliver humanitarian aid in Italy on May 18, 2026

Middle East MonitorMiddle East Monitor

The same Laodong.vn report said the South African Ministry of Foreign Affairs expressed “deep concern” at reports showing that many South African citizens were arrested by Israeli military forces while participating in a train on its way to the Gaza Strip.

It also said the Global Sumud aid convoy of 54 ships aimed to break the blockade in the Gaza Strip, while Laodong.vn reported that the Israeli Foreign Ministry said on the night of May 19 that Israeli naval commandos had intercepted all 50 ships of the fleet.

Amnesty International condemned the move in a post on X, calling Israel’s insistence on stopping the flotilla “shameful and inhumane,” and warning that “cutting off essential supplies to civilians under occupation is a war crime.”

Mehr News Agency quoted Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi condemning Israel and the United States for blocking humanitarian aid and stating that “starving civilians, obstructing relief efforts, and enforcing collective punishment constitute crimes rather than legitimate security policies.”

More on Gaza Genocide