Israeli Forces Detain 12 Canadian Activists on Gaza-Bound Flotilla Near Cyprus
Image: Al-Jazeera Net

Israeli Forces Detain 12 Canadian Activists on Gaza-Bound Flotilla Near Cyprus

20 May, 2026.Gaza Genocide.22 sources

Key Takeaways

  • Israeli forces intercepted and boarded the Gaza-bound Global Sumud flotilla near Cyprus, detaining activists.
  • Twelve Canadians were detained among those onboard.
  • Two flotilla activists were released from detention and deported.

Flotilla seized near Cyprus

Israeli forces detained all twelve Canadian activists who attempted to challenge the naval blockade of Gaza, and Global Sumud Canada identified them as Michael France, Omar Shaban, Safa Chebbi, Sebastian Tow, Ko Tinmaung, Umir Tiar, Shahid Mahmood, Adam Joshua Norrad Bouzide, Olivier Huard, Ehab Lotayef, Mary Grace Mathisen and Daniela-Maria Bonamico.

The Global Sumud Flotilla said its goal was to deliver aid to the Palestinian people and break what it called an illegal siege, while CP24 reported that the Canadians were part of a fleet of 50 vessels and 430 activists from 40 different countries bound for Gaza that Israeli forces intercepted.

Image from Al Jazeera
Al JazeeraAl Jazeera

In a separate report, the BBC said Israeli forces boarded the Gaza-bound flotilla in international waters near Cyprus and detained hundreds of pro-Palestinian activists, with the Global Sumud Flotilla describing the boarding as an "illegal, high-seas aggression" about 250 nautical miles (460km) from Gaza.

The BBC also reported that the flotilla said "428 unarmed civilians from more than 40 countries have been illegally kidnapped" by Israel's military, while Israel's foreign ministry accused the flotilla of being a "provocation" seeking to help Hamas.

CP24 added that Israel’s Foreign Ministry posted video it said depicts flotilla activists being transferred onto Israel’s vessels and said its searches turned up no humanitarian aide.

Detention, hunger strike, diplomacy

Global Sumud Canada said most Canadian participants had previously agreed to stage a hunger strike if detained by Israeli forces, and Safa Chebbi, the organization’s Canadian spokesperson, said, "We have chosen the hunger strike as a form of political expression".

CP24 reported that Global Affairs Canada spokesperson Thida Ith said, "Under the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations, arresting authorities are required to inform Canadian citizens of their right to contact a consular representative," as consular officials monitored the situation.

Image from Anadolu Ajansı
Anadolu AjansıAnadolu Ajansı

The BBC reported that the hundreds of detained activists were being transported by Israeli naval vessels to the Israeli port of Ashdod, and it said the flotilla urged governments and world leaders to demand the activists "immediate and unconditional release" and ensure legal and consular help.

In Jerusalem, the Associated Press via PBS reported that Israeli forces on Tuesday intercepted all remaining vessels from the activist flotilla, with a live feed showing armed Israeli soldiers boarding vessels as activists in life vests put their hands up.

PBS also reported that the flotilla said late Tuesday that 428 detained activists from over 40 nations remained "unaccounted for" because they had neither contact with lawyers nor access to consular help.

Aid, sanctions, and legal risk

The PBS report said Israel has called the flotilla "a provocation for the sake of provocation" with no real intent to deliver aid, while it said the boats carry a symbolic amount of aid and that Israel’s Foreign Ministry Office said Tuesday night that "all 430 activists" had been transferred to Israeli vessels.

PBS also reported that the U.S. Treasury imposed sanctions against European activists Saif Abu Keshek, Jaldia Abubakra Aueda, Hisham Abdallah Sulayman Abu Mahfuz and Mohammed Khatib, and it quoted Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent calling the flotilla "pro-terror."

The BBC reported that Italy’s Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani called for an urgent review of Israel’s use of force after Italian activists said soldiers fired rubber bullets at vessels, while Israel’s foreign ministry said live ammunition was not fired.

In the same BBC account, Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan condemned Israel’s "piracy and banditry" against what he described as the "voyagers of hope," and it said Hamas official Basem Naim accused Israel of "state terrorism and systematic undermining of the entire international order".

PBS added that Gaza’s Health Ministry says Israel’s retaliatory offensive following the Oct. 7, 2023, Hamas-led attacks has killed more than 72,700 people, and it said the ministry does not give a breakdown between civilians and militants.

More on Gaza Genocide