Full story
Busch Dies at 41
Kyle Busch, a two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion, died at 41 after being hospitalized with a "severe illness," NASCAR announced Thursday.
“Kyle Busch, one of the most decorated drivers in NASCAR history, has died, NASCAR announced.”
The Busch family said he was "currently undergoing treatment and will not compete in any of his scheduled activities this weekend at Charlotte Motor Speedway," where he was scheduled to compete in the Coca-Cola 600.

NASCAR and Richard Childress Racing said Busch was in his 22nd full-time season in NASCAR’s top division, where he had won two Cup Series titles and 63 races.
The reports tied his recent health issues to a sinus cold, with FOX Sports noting on May 10 at Watkins Glen that he had been fighting a sinus cold and he finished eighth.
Busch had been preparing for the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway over the upcoming holiday weekend, after his last win in the Craftsman Truck Series came on May 15 at Dover Motor Speedway.
Statements and Tributes
In a joint statement, the Busch family, Richard Childress Racing and NASCAR described Busch as "a rare talent, one who comes along once in a generation," and said he was "fierce, he was passionate, he was immensely skilled and he cared deeply about the sport and fans."
NPR reported that Busch’s family said he was hospitalized with a "severe illness," three days before he was to compete at the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway, and that no cause of death was given.

NPR also relayed that Busch had radioed into his crew near the end of a Cup Series race at Watkins Glen asking a doctor to give him a "shot" after he finished the race.
The New York Times said NASCAR announced Busch’s death after he "was hospitalized this week with an unspecified illness and never recovered," and noted he was 41.
NASCAR’s own account said Busch’s death was announced by the Busch family, NASCAR and Richard Childress Racing, and that his team had indicated earlier Thursday that he had been hospitalized with a severe illness.
What Comes Next
With Busch’s death confirmed, the joint statement from the Busch family, Richard Childress Racing and NASCAR said, "Our thoughts are with Samantha, Brexton and Lennix," and it added that NASCAR lost a giant of the sport "far too soon."
“His family did not provide details on his illness or cause of death.”
ABC News reported that Busch’s family did not provide details on his illness or cause of death, while also quoting the joint statement’s praise of his connection to fans through the "proud and loyal 'Rowdy Nation.'"
NBC News said Busch was hospitalized with a severe illness and that his family did not disclose what the illness was, and it also noted he was ranked 24th in the Cup Series standings with two top-10 finishes in 12 races this season.
USA Today said Busch was scheduled to compete this weekend at Charlotte Motor Speedway, but his family statement earlier said he would not compete in any of his scheduled activities at the event.
NASCAR’s account placed Busch in his 22nd full-time season and said he won two Cup Series titles in 2015 and 2019 and 63 races, framing what the sport now faces without him on the schedule.


