
EU Delists Syria’s Defense and Interior Ministries, Extends Sanctions on Former Regime Figures Until June 1, 2027
Key Takeaways
- EU renews sanctions on Assad-era individuals and entities for one year.
- Seven entities, including Defense and Interior Ministries, are delisted from sanctions.
- Sanctions extended until June 1, 2027.
EU delists Syrian ministries
The European Union removed Syria’s Ministries of Defense and Interior from its sanctions lists on Monday, while extending restrictive measures on individuals and entities linked to the former regime until June 1, 2027.
“On Monday, the European Union's Council announced an extension of sanctions on the regime of the ousted Syrian President Bashar al-Assad for an additional year, while seven entities were removed from its blacklist as part of a broader easing of measures on Damascus”
The Council of the European Union said it delisted seven Syrian entities, “among them the two ministries,” and described the move as intended to support the EU’s renewed engagement with Syria and to help advance the country’s transition and recovery.

The Council said it had already lifted all economic sanctions on Syria in May 2025, while preserving targeted measures against figures associated with the former regime and sanctions tied to security concerns.
The EU said networks connected to the former regime continue to wield influence and could still threaten the transition and national reconciliation, justifying sanctions on individuals and entities deemed to pose such risks.
Damascus welcomes, EU cautions
Syria welcomed the EU decision to lift sanctions on seven Syrian government entities, including the ministries of interior and defence, with Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al Shaibani writing on X that “We welcome the European Union’s decision to lift sanctions on a number of Syrian government entities, including the ministries of interior and defence,”.
The European Council said the delisting was paired with continued restrictive measures, warning that “networks linked to the former Assad regime continue to retain influence and pose a risk of undermining the transition process and hindering efforts toward national reconciliation and accountability.”
The Syrian Foreign Ministry said the European step “will contribute to supporting recovery and reconstruction efforts, and strengthening the ability of Syrian institutions to carry out their duties in serving citizens and consolidating security and stability.”
The Council also reiterated that those designated remain subject to asset freezes and travel bans, with EU citizens and companies prohibited from making funds available to them.
Sanctions framework and next steps
The Council said the EU’s restrictive measures were prolonged following its annual review of the sanctions regime, and it set the end date for the renewed measures as “until 1 June 2027.”
“- Syria welcomes the decision, saying it will support recovery and reconstruction efforts - EU restrictions against individuals and entities linked to the deposed regime of Bashar Assad to remain in place LONDON: The EU removed sanctions against seven Syrian government entities on Monday, including the defense and interior ministries”
In parallel with the delisting, the Council said the EU lifted all economic sanctions on Syria in May 2025 to support the country’s “peaceful and inclusive transition, socio-economic recovery, and reconstruction,” while keeping targeted restrictive measures against individuals and entities linked to the former al-Assad regime.
The European Commissioner for the Mediterranean Dubravka Šuica confirmed that the EU is working to implement a financial package estimated at 175 million euros, in addition to providing a second package worth 180 million euros during the current year, as part of support for reconstruction and recovery.
Šuica said an investment conference would be organized at the end of the current year to support Syria and the return of refugees, and she described the Syrian European meeting as a “historic opportunity,” while linking recovery to “building the future and achieving resilience to instill hope in Syrians.”
More on Syria

Syrian Government Takes Over Ain al-Arab Administration, Kobani, After January 29 Agreement With SDF
12 sources compared

Syrians Flee to Masnaa Border as Shiite and Alawite Minorities Fear Islamist Retaliation
12 sources compared

Ahmed Al-Sharaa Announces Syria Government Reshuffle, Appoints Khaled Zaarour as Information Minister
12 sources compared

Three Australian Women Linked to Islamic State Arrested After Returning From Syria With Children
16 sources compared