Iran National Team Starts US And Canada Visa Procedures In Ankara For 2026 World Cup
Key Takeaways
- Iran's World Cup squad submitted visa applications at the US Embassy in Ankara.
- Some players sought Canadian visas during the Ankara visa process.
- Team training camp is in Antalya ahead of the World Cup.
Visa steps in Ankara
Iran’s national football team began visa procedures for the 2026 FIFA World Cup by submitting visa applications at the US Embassy in Ankara while holding a training camp in Antalya since May 19.
“Toggle Play Iran’s World Cup hopes hit US visa hurdles Read more Players from Iran’s national football team are in Turkey applying for US visas for the 2026 World Cup”
Mehdi Mohammad Nabi, first vice president of the Iranian Football Federation, said the squad would travel to Ankara to complete both US and Canadian visa procedures for all team members, and he added that several foreign-based players were also expected to join the delegation.

The tournament is set to be jointly hosted by the US, Canada, and Mexico from June 11 to July 19, and local media reported that players arrived at the embassy on Thursday to complete visa procedures.
As they left the building, players smiled when reporters asked whether their applications had been approved, and the team’s visa process was framed as part of preparations for matches scheduled in the United States.
The Independent reported that the entire squad applied for Canadian visas, with some players also submitting applications for US entry, as Iran prepared for group-stage matches beginning on 15 June in Los Angeles.
Matches and hurdles
The Independent said Iran are scheduled to face New Zealand on 15 June and Belgium on 21 June in Los Angeles before taking on Egypt in Seattle five days later, with access to Canada required if they progress to the knockout rounds.
An Iranian football federation official confirmed the whole squad applied for Canadian visas, and the same account said some players who had not applied for US visas before the Iran war also submitted applications in Ankara.

TRT World reported that Mehdi Mohammad Nabi previously said the squad would travel to Ankara to complete both US and Canadian visa procedures for all team members, and it added that foreign-based players were expected to join the delegation for the process and other formalities.
Al-Monitor reported that at least four Iranian footballers and one of their entourage went to the US embassy in Ankara Thursday to submit visa applications, and it said the players were also expected to follow similar procedures at the Canadian embassy.
Al-Monitor also quoted the Iranian football federation vice-president as saying he was "very confident" in FIFA's protocols as the team prepare to play at the World Cup.
Confidence, protocols, and uncertainty
Iran’s participation in the 2026 World Cup is described as remaining uncertain even as Iranian Football Federation Vice President Mehdi Mohammad Nabi said the team is "very confident" and has a "clear plan" for travel to the United States.
“In Ankara, Iran World Cup squad players start US visa process At least four Iranian footballers and one of their entourage went to the US embassy in Ankara Thursday to submit visa applications for the World Cup, an AFP correspondent said”
In the same account, Nabi said there are "no guarantees yet that all players and members of the delegation will obtain entry visas to the United States," while he stressed that "FIFA regulations state that the host country is obliged to provide the necessary facilities to all qualified teams."
The Independent reported that preparations have been overshadowed by uncertainty over travel and security arrangements following the conflict between Iran, the US, and Israel, and it noted that US president Donald Trump suggested in March that it would not be appropriate for Iran to play in the World Cup "for their own life and safety."
The Independent also said FIFA president Gianni Infantino maintained that Iran will play in this summer’s tournament, and it quoted Trump as later telling reporters: "Let them play".
annahar reported that FIFA Secretary General Matthias Grafström described a Saturday meeting in Istanbul with the Iranian federation as "very constructive" to ensure Iran's participation in the tournament, as the team continues administrative preparations for matches scheduled in the US.
More on Sports

Kyle Busch Dies At 41 After NASCAR Hospitalization For Severe Illness
16 sources compared

Thomas Tuchel Leaves Phil Foden and Cole Palmer Out of England World Cup Squad, Recalling Ivan Toney
19 sources compared

Bruno Fernandes Equals Premier League Assist Record as Manchester United Beat Nottingham Forest 3-2
10 sources compared

Aston Villa Beats SC Freiburg 3-0 in Europa League Final in Istanbul
17 sources compared