Pentagon Releases 64 Declassified UFO Files After U.S. Intelligence Officer Reports Orange Orb Near Mountain Range
Image: New York Post

Pentagon Releases 64 Declassified UFO Files After U.S. Intelligence Officer Reports Orange Orb Near Mountain Range

22 May, 2026.Technology and Science.7 sources

Key Takeaways

  • Pentagon released a second batch of declassified UFO files with new videos and documents.
  • Intelligence officer provided a firsthand account described as virtually speechless.
  • Video shows a fighter jet engaging a UFO over Lake Huron, Michigan.

Orbs, Jets, and Declassified Files

The Pentagon released a second tranche of declassified records on unidentified anomalous phenomena, including a 2025 first-hand account from a senior U.S. intelligence officer that he was "virtually speechless after these observations" during a helicopter mission investigating "thuds" near a mountain range.

Pentagon releases more declassified UFO files, including intelligence officer's account of seeing 'orbs' Friday's release included more than 50 videos and other documents

ABC NewsABC News

In the officer’s memo, the object was described as an orange orb that split in two and changed direction, and the ground team reported it had "approached within ten feet of the helicopter" before dropping below and speeding away.

Image from ABC News
ABC NewsABC News

CBS News said the Friday release included 64 files, comprising six PDF files, seven audio files and 51 video files, with the videos showing footage of UAPs from military aircraft.

The BBC reported that the Department of Defense released a further batch of previously classified files to provide what it called "unprecedented transparency" to the American people, while noting the batch contains new videos of known "unidentified anomalous phenomena" sightings but gives no conclusive evidence of alien technology or extraterrestrial life.

NBC News added that the documents include a disclaimer telling readers not to interpret anything "as reflecting an analytical judgment, investigative conclusion, or factual determination" about the described events’ validity, nature, or significance.

Lake Huron Shoot-Down Footage

Among the newly released materials is a video labeled "USAF ANG F-16C [CALLSIGN] Shoots Down UAP over Lake Huron" that FOX 2 Detroit said was part of a Feb. 12, 2023 incident over Lake Huron near Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

FOX 2 Detroit described the infrared clip as showing an object appearing to be a weather balloon shot down moments before a bright white object appears on video, and the file does not speculate on the origin of the object, saying it was for informational purposes only.

Image from BBC
BBCBBC

The BBC said the tranche includes new videos of known "unidentified anomalous phenomena" sightings but gives no conclusive evidence of alien technology or extraterrestrial life, and it quoted the statement that the materials are "unresolved cases".

In the Pentagon’s descriptions, the video includes a 46-second clip with redactions and notes that at the 20-second mark the footage "appears to depict a kinetic interaction" between two distinct areas of contrast.

NBC News also reported that in the helicopter account, fighter jets were called in and the orbs were able to match "the jets speed and flight path" and appeared to "chase" the fighter jets.

What Comes Next for UAP

Live Science said the Department of Defense released a second tranche adding another 60 documents to its ongoing database, and it described the broader set as covering nearly 80 years of alleged sightings dating back as far as 1947.

Washington — The Pentagon on Friday released a new batch of 64 files related to UFOs, or UAPs, unveiling a second tranche of records that includes a 2025 first-hand account from an intelligence officer about an experience that left him "virtually speechless

CBS NewsCBS News

Live Science quoted the DOD’s website that "The materials archived here are unresolved cases" and said this can occur for a variety of reasons, including "a lack of sufficient data."

ABC News reported that after multiple investigations, the Pentagon’s All-domain Anomaly Resolution Office (AARO) has found no evidence that any of these incidents are of an extraterrestrial nature, while military officials admit many remain "unresolved" and cannot be explained.

ABC News also said the Pentagon has released over 200 files related to UAPs following the directive from President Donald Trump, who previously posted that the effort was for "Complete and Maximum Transparency" and asked "WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?"

In the CBS News account of the latest tranche, the Pentagon noted that "[m]any of these materials lack a substantiated chain-of-custody," and it described a currently serving "senior intelligence officer" writing that he and the crew had "a series of close UAP encounters lasting over an hour."

More on Technology and Science