
Southampton Expelled From Championship Play-Off Final After Unauthorized Filming Breaches Against Oxford United, Ipswich Town, Middlesbrough
Key Takeaways
- Southampton expelled from Championship playoff final after admitting spying on Middlesbrough, Oxford United, Ipswich Town.
- Middlesbrough reinstated to face Hull City in the Wembley final.
- EFL disciplinary process ongoing; potential delay of final due to Spygate hearing.
Spygate Expulsion
Southampton were expelled from the Championship play-offs after admitting to multiple breaches of EFL Regulations related to the unauthorized filming of other clubs’ training, with the EFL saying the admitted breaches concerned fixtures against Oxford United in December 2025, Ipswich Town in April 2026 and Middlesbrough in May 2026.
“Southampton have been expelled from the English Football League (EFL) Championship playoff final after admitting to spying on a training session of semifinal opponents Middlesbrough”
The EFL said Southampton were first charged on Friday 8 May, with further charges issued on Sunday 17 May in relation to additional breaches during the 2025-26 season, and it described the punishment as removing Southampton from the promotion tournament and reinstating Middlesbrough.

BBC Sport reported that the independent disciplinary commission also handed Southampton a four-point deduction in the Championship for next season, and it said the final would remain on Saturday at Wembley with the kick-off time to be confirmed.
The BBC also recapped that Middlesbrough were at their Rockliffe Park training base preparing for the game against Southampton 48 hours later, and it identified the accused as Southampton analyst intern William Salt who was said to have stood pointing his mobile at the training session while wearing in-ear headphones.
With the play-off final now set to feature Middlesbrough against Hull City, the EFL’s order meant the richest game in world football was no longer Southampton’s to play for.
Appeal and Anger
Southampton players were exploring possible legal action against their own club if the EFL’s verdict to expel them from the Championship play-off final is upheld, and The New York Times reported that the players were furious at the EFL verdict after finding out at the same time as everyone else.
The New York Times said the EFL announced on Tuesday that Southampton were expelled after admitting to spying on other clubs and that their semi-final opponent Middlesbrough had been reinstated, while it also reported that Southampton would appeal the sanctions and that the parties were working to try and resolve any appeal on Wednesday 20 May.

BBC Sport reported that sources confirmed Southampton will lodge an appeal on Wednesday and that the EFL would be working to try and resolve any appeal on Wednesday, 20 May, with the possibility that it could result in a further change to Saturday’s fixture.
In Middlesbrough’s response to the decision, the club said it “welcome[s] the outcome” and added, “We believe this sends out a clear message for the future of our game regarding sporting integrity and conduct,” as it said it was focused on its game against Hull City at Wembley on Saturday.
ESPN’s explainer framed the punishment as the “harshest possible punishment,” saying the EFL made an example of Southampton and that Middlesbrough—who lost against Southampton in their playoff semifinal—were now one game from the Premier League as they prepared to face Hull City on Saturday.
Money at Stake
The dispute carried immediate financial stakes because the play-off final is described as the richest one-off soccer match, with the Independent saying it offered a windfall of at least 200 million pounds ($270 million) in future Premier League earnings for the winning team.
BBC Sport said the winners of the play-off final were guaranteed a minimum £110m in Premier League broadcast revenue, while it also noted that Southampton admitted to “multiple breaches of EFL regulations related to the unauthorised filming of other clubs' training”.
Al Jazeera reported that the match is regarded as the most lucrative in world football because the winner is promoted to the Premier League and receives 200 million British pounds ($268m) in extra income, and it said Southampton would also be docked four points next season after admitting to multiple breaches.
The Independent also described the broader precedent-setting impact of the Southampton case by placing it alongside other “Spygate” episodes, including the 2019 Leeds fine for spying on Derby and the 2024 Olympic spying case involving Canada’s women’s team.
As the EFL said it was in discussion with all three clubs regarding the implications of today’s decision, the BBC reported that Southampton’s supporters had already sold tickets for Saturday’s game and would receive a full refund while Southampton’s lawyers were expecting to work through the night.
More on Sports

Arsenal End 22-Year Premier League Wait After Manchester City Draws 1-1 at Bournemouth
30 sources compared

Arsenal Beat Burnley 1-0 as Kai Havertz Heads In Bukayo Saka Corner
11 sources compared

Steve Clarke Names Craig Gordon, Findlay Curtis, Ross Stewart in Scotland’s 2026 World Cup Squad
21 sources compared

Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City Future Unsettled As Contract Runs Until 2027
19 sources compared