
Trump Says U.S. Will Send 5,000 Additional Troops to Poland
Key Takeaways
- United States will send 5,000 additional troops to Poland.
- Deployment based on Trump’s relationship with Polish President Karol Nawrocki.
- Comes amid reports of a Europe-wide troop drawdown and unclear U.S. presence.
Trump reverses Poland plan
President Donald Trump said on Thursday that the United States will send an additional 5,000 troops to Poland, reversing an earlier decision to cancel a deployment as Washington presses Europe to shoulder more of its own defence burden.
“Skip to main content Updated 2 hours ago - Politics & Policy Trump says U”
France 24 reported Trump made the announcement on his Truth Social network and said the move was based on his relationship with Poland's president Karol Nawrocki, whom he said he was "proud to endorse" in elections that Nawrocki won last year.
The Washington Post said the announcement has stirred confusion after weeks of changing statements about reducing—rather than increasing—the American military footprint in Europe, and it cited U.S. officials confirming about 4,000 service members were no longer deploying to Poland.
DW said Trump justified the decision on his relationship with Nawrocki and quoted him writing on Truth Social: "Based on the successful Election of the now President of Poland, Karol Nawrocki, who I was proud to Endorse, and our relationship with him, I am pleased to announce that the United States will be sending an additional 5,000 Troops to Poland," while also noting contradictory messages from the Pentagon and Vice President JD Vance.
The Hill said the reversal came after the Pentagon canceled the long-planned deployment of 4,000 service members to Poland, and it reported lawmakers expressed frustration and concern over the move to halt the planned rotation without consultation with Congress.
Conflicting messages and pushback
DW said the Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell described the troop changes as part of a "comprehensive, multilayered process" designed to advance President Trump's America First agenda in Europe and other theaters by incentivizing NATO allies to take primary responsibility for Europe's conventional defense.
DW also reported Polish Defense Minister Wladyslaw Kosiniak-Kamysz denied that the reduction of US troops in Europe would affect Poland, saying: "The number of American soldiers in Poland is not being reduced."

In the U.S. political fight, The Hill quoted House Armed Services Committee Chair Mike Rogers (R-Ala.) saying the panel was "not happy" and that the committee had not been consulted, adding, "We don’t know what’s going on here, but I just tell you we’re not happy with what’s being talked about."
The Hill reported Vice President JD Vance defended the halt Tuesday, saying "We’ve not reduced the troop levels in Poland by 4,000 troops" and that the administration delayed a deployment that was going to Poland rather than reducing troop levels.
Politico said the announcement came shortly after the administration said it would withdraw 5,000 troops from Germany and reported that a Polish official and a NATO representative, granted anonymity, said they were taken aback because the administration did not discuss the decision with allies in advance.
What’s at stake next
Axios said the U.S. has around 80,000 troops stationed in Europe at present, with about 10,000 of those being in Poland, and it framed the Thursday announcement as coming a week after the Pentagon abruptly said 5,000 troops would be withdrawn from Germany.
Fox News reported the Pentagon announced Tuesday it is reducing the number of Brigade Combat Teams (BCTs) stationed in Europe from four to three, and it said the decision followed the Pentagon’s recent decision to halt a planned rotation of roughly 4,000 U.S. troops to Poland.
Fox News also quoted the Pentagon statement that the move would temporarily delay the deployment of U.S. forces to Poland and described Poland as "a model U.S. ally," while saying the department would determine final disposition based on further analysis of U.S. strategic and operational requirements and allies’ ability to contribute forces toward Europe’s defense.
The Washington Post said Trump’s social media announcement raises uncertainty for European allies that have been blindsided by the changes, and it noted the administration has complained about NATO members not shouldering enough of the burden of their own defense and failing to do more to support the Iran war.
DW added that Trump hosted Nawrocki at the White House in May last year and backed him ahead of the Polish election in which the nationalist politician went on to defeat the candidate of Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk's centrist, pro-European party, with Trump later meeting Nawrocki again in September when he said the U.S. could increase its troop presence in Poland.
More on USA

Trump Says He Will Intervene as US Charges Raúl Castro Over 1996 Plane Downing
12 sources compared

Fitzpatrick And Suozzi Lead House Bid To Kill Trump’s $1.8 Billion Anti-Weaponization Fund
12 sources compared

House GOP Leaders Cancel Vote To Limit Trump War Powers in Iran
14 sources compared

Jeff Landry Heckled in Nuuk as Protesters Reject US Footprint on Greenland
11 sources compared