U.S. Department of Justice Creates Anti-Weaponisation Fund After Trump IRS Tax Returns Leak Settlement
Key Takeaways
- DOJ created roughly $1.8 billion fund to compensate those claiming politicized investigations.
- Fund arises from settlement resolving Trump’s IRS tax return leak lawsuit.
- Republican lawmakers express skepticism and seek to kill the fund.
Fund from IRS settlement
The U.S. Department of Justice established an “Anti-Weaponisation Fund” after a settlement resolving Donald Trump’s lawsuit against the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) over the 2019 leak of his tax returns, and the fund is described as a $1.776 billion mechanism to compensate people who claim they were victims of politically motivated investigations and prosecutions.
TRT World said the initiative “stems from a settlement resolving US President Donald Trump’s lawsuit against the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) over the 2019 leak of his tax returns,” and it added that DOJ says there are no “partisan requirements” to seek compensation.

CNN reported that Trump’s $10 billion lawsuit against his own IRS “started to flounder” before the long-dormant campaign idea was revived as part of the settlement, with an unprecedented legal initiative that could funnel nearly $1.8 billion in taxpayer money to Trump friends and supporters.
CNN quoted one person familiar with the deliberations saying, “The concept was always there, but the question mark was the funding,” as the Justice Department’s fund was poised to dole out “lawfare and weaponization” payouts with few apparent limits on eligibility.
In the same TRT World account, the fund is set to remain in place until December 15, 2028, after which any remaining balance from the original $1.776 billion will return to the federal government.
Eligibility sparks GOP fight
As the political fallout grew, CBS News said GOP senators pressed Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche in a tense meeting, with Alabama Sen. Tommy Tuberville telling reporters, “You could call it a curveball right at the end, and nobody could hit it,” referring to the compensation fund.
CBS News also reported that Blanche did not provide adequate answers or clarity about the $1.776 billion Justice Department fund announced earlier this week, which will provide taxpayer-funded payouts to people who allege the legal system has been “weaponized” against them.

BBC described how eligibility appears “extremely broad,” citing a memo sent to sceptical Republican US senators that justified the $1.8bn sum because “literally tens of millions of Americans were subjected to improper and unlawful government targeting.”
BBC also quoted Michael Cohen’s post on X, saying, “After years of being smeared, surveilled, financially exposed, imprisoned, and silenced, I will file a claim asking whether America's justice system became America's political weapon.”
The BBC account added that the settlement agreement bars Trump or his family from receiving payouts, while it noted that critics assumed the fund would be used for payouts to Trump allies, including hundreds convicted in connection with the Capitol Hill riot on 6 January, 2021, whom Trump pardoned on his first day back in office.
Who may apply, what’s at risk
CNN reported that in private discussions, some advisers pushed for clear eligibility limits over fears that rioters in the January 6, 2021 Capitol attack who were convicted of assaulting police officers will secure payouts, while others—including conservative activist Charlie Kirk before his death—pushed for casting a wide net that includes January 6 rioters.
CNN also said hundreds of Trump supporters who participated in the Capitol attack have already been advised to apply for compensation, citing lawyer Peter Ticktin, and it noted that close advisers and aides to Trump may also qualify based on federal scrutiny tied to a years-old investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election.
BBC reported that former FBI Director James Comey told CNN he might apply, saying, “It appears that they're serious,” and adding, “It's to compensate people who have been targeted by the justice department for, they say, personal, political, or ideological reasons.”
Fox News said the Trump administration pushed back on “slush fund” attacks and laid out who qualifies, with Vice President J.D. Vance saying, “Republicans can apply for it. Democrats can apply for it.”
Fox News further reported that the Anti-Weaponization Fund will evaluate claims on a “case-by-case” basis and that the agreement gives the board discretion to weigh “other factors” it considers fair and appropriate when deciding whether to compensate claimants.
More on USA

Trump Sends 5,000 Troops to Poland, Reversing Earlier U.S. Pullback in Europe
15 sources compared
Trump Administration Orders Most Green Card Applicants to Apply From Home Countries
13 sources compared

Federal Judge Waverly Crenshaw Dismisses Human Smuggling Charges Against Kilmar Abrego Garcia
27 sources compared

House Republicans Cancel Iran War Powers Vote, Delaying Measure Until June
11 sources compared