
USS Nimitz Strike Group Enters Caribbean As US Charges Raúl Castro With Murder
Key Takeaways
- USS Nimitz carrier strike group enters Caribbean amid tensions between the US and Cuba.
- Raúl Castro indicted in Miami on murder charges for 1996 downing of two planes.
- Strike group comprises USS Nimitz, its air wing, a guided-missile destroyer, and a supply ship.
Carrier Arrives as Charges Land
The USS Nimitz strike group entered the Caribbean Sea amid rising tensions between the United States and Cuba, with the deployment announced by US Southern Command on Wednesday.
“ANI |Updated:May 21, 2026 05:31IST Washington DC [US], May 21 (ANI): The US aircraft carrier USS Nimitz and its strike group have entered the Caribbean Sea amid rising tensions between the United States and Cuba, according to a report by The Hill”
The Hill reported that the arrival came as the Department of Justice charged former Cuban President Raúl Castro with murder tied to the 1996 downing of two civilian planes over international waters that killed four people.
US President Donald Trump said, "It's very important," and framed the indictment as "a very big moment for people, not only Cuban Americans, but people who came from Cuba, that want to go back to Cuba, see their family in Cuba."
The strike group includes the USS Nimitz, its air wing comprising F/A-18E Super Hornets, EA-18G Growlers and C-2A Greyhounds, along with USS Gridley and USNS Patuxent, according to ANI’s account of The Hill’s reporting.
The US Southern Command said in a post on X, "Welcome to the Caribbean, Nimitz Carrier Strike Group!"
Trump Denies Escalation
Trump denied escalation against Cuba after the Raúl Castro indictment, telling reporters, "There won't be escalation. I don't think there needs to be," as the Nimitz carrier strike group arrived in the Caribbean.
The Hill also quoted Sen. Rick Scott (R-Fla.) saying, "We shouldn’t take anything off the table," while adding, "Same thing that happened to Maduro should happen to Raul Castro."

Rep. Maria Elvira Salazar (R-Fla.) encouraged Trump to invade Cuba, saying, "I think that’s exactly what should happen. And that’s exactly what is good for the United States, we cannot have these thieves running that island any longer," in a press conference ahead of the expected indictment of Castro.
CIA Director John Ratcliffe met Cuban officials on the island last week to emphasize that the timeframe for talks would not remain open indefinitely, according to The Hill.
Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel responded that the US charges are just a "political maneuver" with "no legal basis whatsoever," and warned that any US military attack would cause "a bloodbath with incalculable consequences" and a devastating impact on peace and stability in Latin America and the Caribbean, according to China Daily.
Legal Case and Political Risk
The indictment was unveiled on Cuba’s Independence Day, and the charges are fueling speculation that the Trump administration is creating a pretext for military action against Cuba, The Hill reported.
Folha de S.Paulo said the USS Nimitz arrived in the Caribbean on Wednesday (the 20th) and described the strike group as consisting of the aircraft carrier, its embarked air wing, a guided-missile destroyer, and a supply ship, quoting US Southern Command’s social media post.
Folha de S.Paulo reported that three Democratic senators introduced a resolution to block the use of US armed forces against Cuba, with Senator Tim Kaine of Virginia saying, "Our military should not be sent to risky situations when there is no clear benefit to the U.S."
The same report said acting US Attorney General Todd Blanche stated that the White House expects Castro to appear in the country "of his own accord or otherwise to go to prison."
In parallel, Folha de S.Paulo reported that Díaz-Canel said Cuba "has the absolute and legitimate right to defend itself against a military attack" and that a possible operation "would cause a bloodbath with immeasurable consequences," while Trump said Cuba is a "pariah state that harbors hostile foreign military forces."
More on USA

US Indicts Former Cuban President Raúl Castro Over 1996 Brothers To The Rescue Shootdown
27 sources compared

U.S. Indicts Raúl Castro Over 1996 Shootdown Killing U.S. Nationals
13 sources compared

Trump-Backed Ed Gallrein Ousts Rep. Thomas Massie in Kentucky 4th District Primary
12 sources compared

DOJ Charges Carmen Mercedes Lineberger With Stealing Jack Smith’s Sealed Trump Report
20 sources compared