
Donald Trump Says US May Strike Iran Again, Delays At Gulf Allies’ Request
Key Takeaways
- Trump delayed a planned attack on Iran at Gulf allies' request.
- Talks with Iran progressed; a deal seems very possible.
- War could end quickly if Iran accepts the peace proposal.
Hour Away, Then Paused
U.S. President Donald Trump said Tuesday that the United States may strike Iran again and that he was "an hour away from making the decision to go today" before postponing it at the request of US allies in the Gulf.
Trump told reporters that the timeline could be "two or three days, at least" and warned that Washington "can't let them have a new nuclear weapon."

In Tehran, Iran’s ISNA news agency reported that Iran’s army spokesperson Mohammad Akraminia said, "If the enemy acts foolishly, falls into the Israeli trap and commits another aggression, we will open new fronts against them with new methods."
Trump also said several Gulf allies told him there was progress in negotiations brokered by Pakistan toward a peace deal, and he said he would allow a limited period of time for talks to continue.
Diplomacy vs. Option B
Vice President JD Vance told reporters at the White House that Washington is still pursuing a diplomatic deal but retains "Option B" to restart the military campaign to "achieve America's objectives."
Vance said the United States would not go for a deal that allows Iran to have nuclear weapon, arguing that a nuclear weapon with Iran would lead to an arms race that would make the world less safe.

Trump said on Monday that the Gulf allies asked him to wait for "two to three days" because they feel they are close to a deal with Iran, and he said he had planned a "very major attack" but put it off "for a little while, hopefully, maybe forever."
The NPR report also said Trump instructed the U.S. military "to be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment's notice" if an acceptable deal is not reached.
Deadlines, Nuclear Red Lines
Trump said he was giving Iran "two or three days" and that the window could be "Friday, Saturday, Sunday, maybe early next week" because "we can't let them [Iran] have nuclear weapons."
The Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty report also said Trump announced a temporary cease-fire on April 8 and that it was extended indefinitely on May 22 following what Trump said was a request from Pakistan, which is mediating in the conflict.
In a separate account, the China Daily report said Trump told reporters that this time was "a little bit different" from previously stalled talks and that he believed a deal could be reached soon, while adding, "Now, they must document that in writing."
The same China Daily report said Trump reiterated the need for Iran to abandon its nuclear program and described the pause as something the Gulf states asked him to delay for a few days, with the pause potentially lasting longer.
More on USA

DOJ Bars IRS From Examining Trump’s Pre-Agreement Tax Returns, Blanche Signs Addendum
13 sources compared

Donike Gocaj Dies After Stepping Into Uncovered Maintenance Hole on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan
10 sources compared

Tim Walz Signs Minnesota Prediction Markets Ban as CFTC Sues to Block It
10 sources compared

US Central Command Chief Brad Cooper Rejects Responsibility for Minab School Strike
10 sources compared