
Donald Trump Threatens Iran As Talks Flounder, Says Time Is Of The Essence
Key Takeaways
- Trump threatens Iran as talks stall, warning time is running out for potential U.S. action.
- Truth Social post accompanies warning of potential U.S. military action.
- Renewed strikes referenced as possible U.S. action amid stalled talks.
Trump threatens Iran
United States President Donald Trump reiterated threats against Iran as negotiations to end the conflict between the two countries continued to flounder, posting on Truth Social that "For Iran, the Clock is Ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won’t be anything left of them," and adding "TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!"
“United States President Donald Trump has reiterated his threats against Iran, as negotiations to end the conflict between the two countries continue to flounder”
Al Jazeera reported from Tehran that the Iranian government indicated that violent rhetoric from the US would not be tolerated, with correspondent Almigdad Alruhaid saying, "From what we understand, this kind of language is not acceptable here in Tehran."

Al Jazeera also said the increasingly hostile remarks from both sides signaled the ceasefire could be at imminent risk of shattering, with Alruhaid warning that "the finger’s on the trigger on both sides."
The Al Jazeera report tied the rhetoric to a narrowing diplomatic window, saying "the diplomatic window right now is narrowing" even as it described hard language and hard messaging from both sides.
Iranian adviser rejects
Iranian Supreme Leader’s adviser Ali Akbar Velayati warned that Trump’s threats were leading Washington into a dangerous "strategic trap" fueled by Israeli instigation, writing that "In such circumstances, Trump’s threats, which are being stoked by Tel Aviv’s instigations—amount to entering a strategic trap," and concluding that "Soon, Washington will have to search with a lantern just to find the remnants of its credibility in West Asia."
Mehr News Agency quoted Velayati warning the US that repeating threats would bring "more crushing and severe blows," as he told Mehr that "Repeating any folly to compensate for America’s disgrace in the Third Imposed War against Iran will result in nothing but receiving more crushing and severe blows."

Al Jazeera reported that Mehr said the US offered "no tangible concessions" in its latest proposals and accused Washington of seeking concessions it failed to obtain during the war, a position Mehr said would lead to an impasse in the negotiations.
In the same Al Jazeera account, Alruhaid said the US and Iran’s ceasefire—agreed within hours of Trump’s April 7 social media post—was still in place even as both sides accused each other of violations.
Ceasefire and next moves
The Al Jazeera report said Trump’s latest post came as negotiations continued to flounder and described a ceasefire that had been in place ever since, while both sides accused each other of violations.
“Ali Akbar Velayati, a senior advisor to the Leader of the Islamic Revolution, has warned that Washington is falling into a “strategic trap” dug out by Israel and would lose what remains of its credibility in West Asia if it wages another war on Iran”
Al Jazeera also quoted Alruhaid saying "we do know that there is hard language, hard messaging from both sides — that the finger’s on the trigger on both sides," framing the risk that the ceasefire could be at imminent risk of shattering.
The Statesman reported that Trump spoke with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu as he warned Iran that "Clock is Ticking" and that the country should "better get moving fast," while it also said Netanyahu told his Cabinet he had "our eyes open regarding Iran" and expressed confidence in Israel’s preparations for "every scenario".
In the same Statesman account, it described Netanyahu set to convene top aides and ministers on Sunday evening for a security discussion in his office in Jerusalem, linking the US post and the Israeli leadership meetings to hints of renewed strikes on Iran.
More on Iran

Trump and Netanyahu Hold Tense Call Over New Iran Deal Proposal, Axios Says
10 sources compared

U.S. Senate Advances Tim Kaine War Powers Resolution To End War With Iran
20 sources compared

JD Vance Says U.S. Made A Lot Of Progress In Iran Talks After Trump Postponed Attack
21 sources compared

US Central Command Chief Brad Cooper Rejects Responsibility for Minab School Strike
10 sources compared