Donald Trump Threatens New Attacks On Iran If Tehran Refuses Deal Soon
Image: 巴士的報

Donald Trump Threatens New Attacks On Iran If Tehran Refuses Deal Soon

19 May, 2026.USA.81 sources

Key Takeaways

  • Trump threatens to bomb Iran at a much higher level if peace deal not reached.
  • Trump paused planned attack at Gulf allies' request as Tehran sent peace proposal.
  • Negotiations stalled; Iran reviewing U.S. proposal with key demands unmet.

Trump threatens new assault

United States President Donald Trump said on Tuesday that the US may launch new attacks on Iran if Tehran continues to refuse the significant concessions he wants before a deal can be struck to end the Middle East war.

Trump told reporters at the White House that he had been an "hour away from making the decision to go today" before postponing a fresh wave of strikes.

Image from 1News
1News1News

The Guardian reported that Trump threatened a "big hit" if Tehran did not make a deal soon, while France 24 said Trump offered a deadline of several days for resuming strikes if a deal was not agreed.

France 24 also reported that Iran warned it was prepared to open "new fronts" in the event of a renewed US attack, with Iran’s army spokesman Mohammad Akraminia reiterating that warning.

Al Jazeera said Trump paused an attack on Iran at the behest of Gulf leaders after Tehran sent a new peace proposal to Washington through Pakistan, and that a durable peace agreement remained elusive despite an initial temporary ceasefire that began on April 8.

Negotiations and competing claims

The Guardian said Pakistani mediators had mediated between Tehran and Washington and that they had complained both sides were "changing their goalposts," while Al Jazeera said Tehran’s response to the previous US proposal had been "conveyed to the American side through mediator Pakistan."

Al Jazeera reported that Trump wrote on Truth Social that "serious negotiations are now taking place" and that he had instructed Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth, Chairman of The Joint Chiefs of Staff General Dan Caine and the US military not to carry out the scheduled attack.

Image from @globaltimesnews
@globaltimesnews@globaltimesnews

France 24 quoted Trump saying he was negotiating with a country where "you're beating them badly" and that they "come to the table, they're begging to make a deal," as it described the US and Iran trading threats after Trump postponed a major assault.

The Guardian quoted Neil Quilliam of London’s Chatham House saying, "Trumps’ threats have lost all credibility … Both sides are too far apart in terms of what they are willing to accept or work on."

Al Jazeera said Iran submitted a revised 14-point peace plan to end the war, and that Iranian Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said Tehran’s demands included the release of its assets frozen abroad and the lifting of sanctions.

What’s at stake next

The Guardian said the closure of the strait of Hormuz and the threat of further conflict had sent oil prices soaring, increasing inflation worldwide and threatening a global recession, while it also said a new round of fighting could send prices even higher and stock markets tumbling.

France 24 reported that Trump faced intense political pressure at home to reach an accord that would reopen the Strait of Hormuz, and it said fuel prices remained high as congressional elections loom in November.

Al Jazeera said the US and Iran have exchanged multiple proposals in recent weeks amid a ceasefire that has mostly halted six weeks of fighting, but that the initial direct talks mediated by Pakistan in Islamabad in April stalled and Trump said the ceasefire is "on life support."

Masrawy quoted Trump saying, "We have completely defeated the Iranian army and the blockade is 100% effective," and it also quoted him saying the US will not allow Iran to possess a nuclear weapon.

The Guardian reported that Iran’s ISNA news agency said Mohammed Akraminia reiterated on Tuesday that Tehran would continue to manage the strait and that the US needed to "respect the Iranian nation and observe the legitimate rights of the Islamic republic," while it also described Akraminia saying Iran would "open new fronts" against the US if new attacks occur.

More on USA