Israeli Airstrikes Kill 10 in Southern Lebanon, Including Six Paramedics and a Syrian Girl
Image: شفق نيوز

Israeli Airstrikes Kill 10 in Southern Lebanon, Including Six Paramedics and a Syrian Girl

22 May, 2026.Lebanon.31 sources

Key Takeaways

  • Ten people killed by Israeli airstrikes in southern Lebanon.
  • Six paramedics among the dead in Deir Qanoun al-Nahr.
  • A second strike hit rescuers, described as a double-tap.

Double-tap kills rescuers

Israeli airstrikes in southern Lebanon on Friday killed 10 people, including six paramedics and a Syrian girl, Lebanon’s Health Ministry said, with the first strike hitting Hanouiyeh and killing four paramedics working for Hezbollah’s Islamic Health Association.

A second strike on Deir Qanoun al-Nahr in the coastal Tyre province killed six people, including a Syrian child and two paramedics from the Al-Risala Scouts Association, and the ministry said the attacks “violated” international law.

Image from Al Jazeera
Al JazeeraAl Jazeera

In Deir Qanoun al-Nahr, videos described by TRT World showed a “double tap” in which a second missile hit the site as rescuers gathered after an initial strike on a motorcycle.

Drop Site News described the aftermath in Deir Qanoun Al-Nahr where rescue workers pried away rubble and Ahmed Hariri, a paramedic and photojournalist, was killed in another Israeli airstrike on Friday that left a total of six people dead.

The same Drop Site News account said an earlier Israeli airstrike on Thursday killed four paramedics and wounded five more in an Israeli attack on Hannawiyah that destroyed both the town’s main Health Authority center and a newly established ambulance station in Tyre.

Competing claims and video

The Lebanese Health Ministry said the Friday attacks included “six people were martyred,” including two rescuers from the Risala Scouts association and a Syrian girl, while the Israeli military said it was examining claims that uninvolved individuals were harmed.

CP24 reported that the Israeli military said it struck Hezbollah infrastructure sites in Hanouiyeh where Hezbollah members were present, and it added that it was examining whether people who were not the targets were harmed.

Image from Al Jazeera
Al JazeeraAl Jazeera

TRT World described video circulating on social media showing paramedics being killed in Deir Qanoun al-Nahr, with a woman asking “An innocent child… what did she ever do?” as an ambulance arrived and a second strike hit the site.

In the same TRT World account, Hezbollah’s parliamentary bloc head Mohammad Raad said in a message on Friday, “We are fighting our enemy on the battlefield, and it has grown frustrated by the strength and heroism of our fighters... so it resorts to unleashing the hell of its rage, might and tyranny to destroy your villages and displace you,” and he repeated the group’s denunciation of direct talks between Israel and Lebanon.

CP24 also said the Israeli military previously accused Hezbollah of using ambulances as cover for militant activities, without offering evidence, while the Health Ministry said the attacks “violated” international law.

Ceasefire strains and fallout

The violence came despite a U.S.-brokered ceasefire that CP24 said had not stopped near-daily attacks from both sides, and TRT World said that since a truce began on April 17, Israel has continued to launch attacks, carry out demolitions and issue orders for residents of south Lebanon to flee.

Drop Site News said that for the past five weeks Israel’s relentless aerial and ground assault continued despite a nominal ceasefire announced by President Donald Trump on April 16, and it said Israel has killed more than 3,100 people across the country and wounded more than 9,400 since March 2, according to Lebanon’s Ministry of Health.

Amid the mounting toll, TRT World said Lebanon’s health ministry reported that Israeli attacks have killed at least 3,111 people since the wider regional war began, and it said the victims include 123 medics, as well as more than 210 children and nearly 300 women.

The Anadolu Ajansı account said at least 16 hospitals have been damaged in Israeli attacks in Lebanon since March 2, and it said official data revealed at least 116 people have been killed and 263 wounded in attacks targeting medics and ambulance crews during the same period.

France 24 reported that Hezbollah leader Naim Qassem said his group was ready for “a long confrontation” after an Israeli strike killed at least 12 health-care workers at a health center in Lebanon, and it quoted the Lebanese ministry saying it was “mourning the health workers of Burj Qalawiya” as rescue operations were still underway.

More on Lebanon