Masoud Pezeshkian Says Iran Government Fully Supports Modernizing Armed Forces
Image: Monte Carlo Doualiya

Masoud Pezeshkian Says Iran Government Fully Supports Modernizing Armed Forces

21 May, 2026.Iran.5 sources

Key Takeaways

  • Government fully supports modernization and strengthening of Iran's armed forces.
  • Modernization includes upgrading equipment and enhancing combat readiness across the armed forces.
  • Pezeshkian and Hatami discussed these aims during a meeting.

Pezeshkian backs modernization

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said the government fully supports efforts to strengthen Iran’s defense capabilities, modernize military equipment, and enhance the combat readiness of the armed forces during a meeting with Major General Amir Hatami, Commander-in-Chief of the Iranian Army.

President Masoud Pezeshkian says the government will use “all available capacities” to strengthen the country’s Armed Forces, praising the Iranian military’s “decisive, intelligent, and deterrent” responses to the recent US-Israeli aggression

PressTVPressTV

Pezeshkian emphasized the armed forces’ “decisive, intelligent, and deterrent” responses to hostile actions and said the Army demonstrated “high operational readiness, intelligence superiority, command cohesion, and effective combat capability.”

Image from PressTV
PressTVPressTV

In the same meeting, Pezeshkian said the government will support strategic programs aimed at “enhancing defense power, logistical backing, modernization of equipment, strengthening operational infrastructure, and increasing the country’s deterrence capability.”

Hatami presented a report on the Army’s latest operational situation, defense measures, and missions, and he stressed that Iran’s Army is “fully prepared to deliver a decisive, regret-inducing response commensurate with the authority of the Islamic Republic of Iran against any threat.”

Strait of Hormuz warning

Iranian Army spokesman Brigadier General Akrami Nia said countries backing American sanctions may face difficulties in crossing the Strait of Hormuz, adding that Iran has strengthened its defensive and offensive capabilities.

Nia said Iran’s armed forces were able to withstand military pressure and carry out military operations that he deemed successful, which led the opposing side to accept a ceasefire due to its inability to achieve its objectives.

Image from WANA News Agency
WANA News AgencyWANA News Agency

On the maritime front, he stressed that talk of imposing a blockade on Iran is aimed at political propaganda, saying Iranian maritime trade continues normally and that only some ships were detained according to international reports.

Nia also said Tehran does not trust understandings related to the ceasefire, confirming continued development of military capabilities and updating the target bank to match existing threats.

Regional conflict and threats

In a filmed statement, the Houthis’ military spokesman Yahya Saree said the group carried out the second military operation in the Battle of the Sacred Jihad, “propelled by cruise missiles and drones,” targeting “vital and military objectives” in southern occupied Palestine.

According to the ANNA News Agency, Brigadier General Akrami Nia said that Iran has strengthened its defensive and offensive capabilities, noting that the Iranian armed forces were able to withstand military pressure and carry out military operations that he deemed successful, which led the opposing side to accept a ceasefire due to its inability to achieve its objectives

Khabargozari ĀnāKhabargozari Ānā

The Houthis had earlier announced on Saturday “the first military operation, propelled by ballistic missiles,” targeting “sensitive military objectives” of the Israeli enemy in southern occupied Palestine.

The Revolutionary Guards warned on Sunday they would target American universities in the Middle East, giving the American government until “Monday 30 March, noon” to issue an official statement condemning strikes on the universities “if it wants to avoid retaliation against American universities in the region.”

In Tehran, a 32-year-old actress who asked not to be named described Israeli strikes as “very violent, as if all of Tehran were shaking,” while the Israeli army said it carried out strikes on the headquarters of the Iranian regime’s Maritime Industries Organization in Tehran.

More on Iran