
Swatch Closes UK Stores After Royal Pop Watch Chaos, Police Arrest Man in Cardiff
Key Takeaways
- Swatch closed UK stores due to safety concerns from large queues for Royal Pop.
- Closures affected major UK cities including Manchester, Liverpool, London, Cardiff.
- Launch sparked chaotic scenes, with crowding, scuffles, and calls to police.
Royal Pop launch chaos
Swatch closed stores across the UK and in some cities in Europe and the US at the weekend after the launch of a limited-edition Royal Pop watch caused chaos.
“BreakingNational Mediation Board summons LIRR unions, MTA | Live updates SHOPPING Giant crowds force Swatch stores to close during 'Royal Pop' pocket watch launch ByEyewitness News”
The BBC said Swatch shut stores in Manchester and Liverpool for a second day after queues built up again, with shoppers keen to buy a new £335 pocket watch.

In the UK, police were called when huge crowds descended on stores in Manchester, Cardiff, Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester and Sheffield, and a dispersal order was put in place in Birmingham.
In Cardiff, South Wales Police confirmed it attended St David’s 2 shopping centre at 6.20am on Saturday after reports of 300 people trying to enter a Swatch outlet, and it arrested a 25-year-old man from Pengam and issued a Section 35 dispersal notice.
Swatch said it had closed its Greater Manchester store for a second day on Sunday, and it also posted that “To ensure the safety of both our customers and our staff in Swatch stores, we kindly ask you not to rush to our stores in large numbers to acquire this product.”
Police, tear gas, arrests
In Birmingham, a dispersal order was put in place after huge crowds descended on Swatch stores, and the Guardian reported police dogs were deployed at the Battersea power station and Westfield shopping centres in London to tackle the chaos.
In Paris, a police source said officers had fired teargas to control a 300-strong crowd outside a Swatch shop, where a metal shutter and two security gates were damaged.

In Cardiff, South Wales Police said it was called at 6.20am on Saturday May 16 to a group of approximately 300 people trying to enter the St David’s 2 shopping centre, and it arrested a 25-year-old man from Pengam and issued a Section 35 dispersal notice.
The Independent quoted a South Wales Police spokesperson saying: “South Wales Police was called at 6.20am on Saturday May 16 to a group of approximately 300 people trying to enter the St David’s 2 shopping centre.”
The Guardian also reported that Swatch kept its Manchester and Liverpool stores closed for a second day on Sunday, after a post on the company’s Instagram account said: “In light of safety considerations for both our customers and our staff, Manchester store will be closed for the day.”
Resale surge and next steps
Swatch’s Royal Pop collaboration with Audemars Piguet was described as limited-edition and in-store only, with the BBC saying the items had been resold online for up to £16,000 and would “remain available for several months.”
“Liverpool ONE Swatch shop forced to close again after queue forms The Swatch store failed to open on Saturday after huge crowds gathered A Liverpool ONE shop has been forced to close for a second day after queues formed”
The Times said the eight models, starting at £335, were being listed on resale websites for £16,000 and described crowds at stores in London as becoming “mob-like” as the sites prepared to open for the launch on Saturday morning.
In New York, the Guardian reported that John McIntosh said “It was like a mosh pit,” and it added that he had been in the queue since Wednesday.
In the Liverpool ONE area, the Liverpool Echo reported that a man believed to be the shop’s manager addressed the crowd saying: “There is no Royal Pop on sale today, it has all been removed from stores.”
Across the launch, Swatch said queues of more than 50 people cannot be accepted and sales may need to be paused, and the BBC said some criticised the company for not making the watches available on its website and for police resources being diverted.
More on Business

UAE Orders ADNOC to Accelerate West-East Oil Pipeline Bypassing Strait of Hormuz
14 sources compared

Michigan Lawmakers Introduce Connected Vehicle Security Act To Ban Chinese-Made Vehicles Ahead Of Trump-Xi Meeting
13 sources compared

Audi Previews Q9 Flagship SUV Interior Ahead of 2026 Global Unveiling
14 sources compared

United Arab Emirates Withdraws From OPEC And OPEC+ Starting May 1
13 sources compared