U.S. Marines Board Iranian-Flagged Tanker M/T Celestial Sea in Sea of Oman
Image: شبكة يافا الإخبارية

U.S. Marines Board Iranian-Flagged Tanker M/T Celestial Sea in Sea of Oman

16 May, 2026.Iran.26 sources

Key Takeaways

  • Pakistani Interior Minister Naqvi visits Tehran to facilitate Iran-US peace talks.
  • Iran says indirect talks with the U.S. continue via Pakistani mediation; exchanges occur in Tehran.
  • Pakistan pushes restart of Iran-US talks; Naqvi visits Tehran for a second time amid impasse.

Talks, blockade, and war

Iran’s indirect negotiations with the United States continued through Pakistani Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi’s May 16 trip to Tehran and his return four days later, with Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmail Baqaei saying message exchanges were continuing “on the basis of Iran's 14-point text.”

In parallel, the U.S. Central Command said US Marines boarded the Iranian-flagged commercial tanker M/T Celestial Sea in the Sea of Oman on May 20, suspected of attempting to violate the U.S. blockade by transiting toward an Iranian port.

Image from Al Jazeera
Al JazeeraAl Jazeera

CENTCOM said the forces “released the vessel after searching and directing the ship’s crew to alter course,” and it added that US forces had redirected 91 commercial ships to ensure compliance.

The diplomatic push unfolded as a Congressional Research Service report released on May 13 documented 42 airframes lost or damaged since the US-Israeli war with Iran began on February 28, and the Department of Defense estimated the cost of aircraft losses at $2.6 billion.

Trump’s ultimatum and Pezeshkian’s reply

US President Donald Trump told reporters, “We’re in the final stages with Iran. Either we have a deal or we’re going to do some things that are a little nasty,” while Press TV said Pezeshkian reiterated that Iran would resist coercion aimed at forcing surrender.

Press TV quoted Pezeshkian writing on X that “Forcing Iran to surrender through coercion is nothing but an illusion,” and it said the comments came amid Trump’s continued daily issuance of menacing language addressing Iran.

Image from Al-Yawm as-Sabi'
Al-Yawm as-Sabi'Al-Yawm as-Sabi'

Hum News English reported that Trump’s warning was paired with his claim that he had come close to authorising fresh strikes but decided to delay military action to allow diplomacy more time.

The same Hum News English report said nearly six weeks after Trump paused Operation Epic Fury under a ceasefire arrangement, efforts to formally end the conflict had made little progress, even as negotiations continued through Pakistani mediation.

Islamabad prepares talks

As Naqvi continued his second visit in less than a week, Iranian state media reported he met Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, IRGC Commander-in-Chief General Ahmad Vahidi, and Interior Minister Eskandar Momeni in Tehran amid an impasse over a proposal to end the war.

Geo News and other reports cited in Geo News said a new round of negotiations would likely be held in Islamabad after the ongoing Hajj, and it also said the final version of the agreement between the US and Iran may be announced within hours.

Al Jazeera Net described Islamabad closing all entrances to the Red Zone since Thursday morning with containers and concrete barriers, and it said roads leading to the Serena Hotel were closed as the hotel was set to host the American and Iranian delegations.

In the same Al Jazeera Net account, Naqvi told U.S. Ambassador Natalie Baker that a comprehensive plan had been prepared to ensure the security of all foreign guests “in all respects,” while the Iranian ambassador to Pakistan Reza Amiri-Moqaddam said the Iranian delegation would arrive on Thursday in Islamabad to hold serious talks based on ten points Iran proposed.

More on Iran