U.S. Supreme Court Rejects Donald Trump Appeal Over E. Jean Carroll $5 Million Verdict
Image: Univision

U.S. Supreme Court Rejects Donald Trump Appeal Over E. Jean Carroll $5 Million Verdict

17 August, 2026.USA.13 sources

Developing · updated 1h ago · 13 outlets

Supreme Court denied rehearing, leaving $5 million Carroll verdict intact. The verdict found Trump liable for sexually abusing and defaming E. Jean Carroll.

13 outlets1 divide1 fact unevenly coveredseverity 2/10

Beat 1 · The verdict

Forbes and The Hill use different emphasis: finality vs rehearing rarity.

Read them yourself

Do not take our word for it. Here is what they published.

All 13 outlets

Full story

Supreme Court Rejects Again

The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday declined to hear President Donald Trump’s appeal seeking to overturn a $5-million US verdict for E. Jean Carroll, leaving the judgment in place after a jury found him liable for sexually abusing and defaming the former magazine columnist.

declined on Monday to hear his appeal of a $5-million US verdict

CBCCBC

The justices rejected Trump’s request to revisit their June decision declining to hear his appeal of the 2023 jury verdict stemming from Carroll’s allegation that he raped her in the 1990s in a Manhattan department store’s dressing room.

Image from Anadolu Ajansı
Anadolu AjansıAnadolu Ajansı

The court’s order was unsigned and came with no explanation, and the Supreme Court rarely grants requests for reconsideration.

The case is civil, and the Supreme Court action on Monday did not resolve Trump’s separate legal battle over a separate $83.3-million US jury verdict for defaming Carroll in 2019 during his first term as president.

Lawyers React, Case Final

Carroll’s attorney Roberta Kaplan said, “We are pleased that the United States supreme court has declined again to hear this case,” adding that “the jury’s unanimous verdict that Donald Trump sexually assaulted and then defamed E Jean Carroll is now final and cannot be challenged in any court.”

Trump’s legal team, in a statement carried by The Hill, said, “The American People stand with President Trump as they demand an immediate end to all of the Witch Hunts, including the Democrat-funded travesty of the Carroll Hoaxes,” and also claimed “President Trump will keep winning against Liberal Lawfare.”

Image from AP News
AP NewsAP News

The Guardian reported that the Supreme Court announced its Monday decision in an unsigned order listing Trump’s petition under “rehearings denied” without providing an explanation.

NBC News said Trump had already turned over the $5 million dollars, plus interest, after the Supreme Court declined to take up his appeal in June.

What’s at Stake Next

While the $5-million US civil judgment remains intact, the Supreme Court is still weighing Trump’s appeal of the separate $83.3-million US defamation verdict, which the sources describe as tied to statements Trump made about Carroll in 2019 during his first term as president.

the justices also are weighing the Republican president's appeal ofa separate $83.3-million US jury verdict

CBCCBC

CBC reported that Trump’s lawyers argued in the $83.3-million US case that presidential immunity shields him from Carroll’s claims and that lower courts wrongly decided he had forfeited that defence.

Anadolu Ajansı said Monday’s Supreme Court action “does not resolve Trump’s separate legal battle” over the $83.3 million judgment, and that Trump’s appeal raises different legal questions from those involved in the $5 million judgment.

The Guardian also noted that the White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Monday about the Supreme Court’s decision, and that the court is not set to act on the $83.3 million appeal until later this year, according to NBC News.

Story read · 13 outlets · 1 disagreement · 1 fact unevenly covered

Coverage map

Western Mainstream (7)

West Asian (1)

Western Alternative (1)

How each outlet frames it

Every outlet we compared, the headline it ran, and a link to the original article.

West Asian

Anadolu Ajansı
Anadolu Ajansı

US Supreme Court again rejects Trump bid to overturn E. Jean Carroll $5M verdict

17 August, 2026

Western Mainstream

AP News
AP News

Supreme Court again rebuffs Trump’s push to toss out $5 million verdict in E. Jean Carroll case

17 August, 2026

CBC
CBC

U.S. Supreme Court again rejects Trump's effort to overturn E. Jean Carroll verdict

17 August, 2026

CNBC
CNBC

Supreme Court again rejects Trump bid to overturn E. Jean Carroll verdict

17 August, 2026

NBC News
NBC News

Supreme Court turns away Trump’s latest bid to block E. Jean Carroll award

17 August, 2026

Politico
Politico

Supreme Court turns down Trump’s last-ditch bid to overturn $5M verdict in E. Jean Carroll suit

17 August, 2026

The Guardian
The Guardian

US supreme court again rejects Trump’s bid to overturn E Jean Carroll verdict

17 August, 2026

The Hill
The Hill

Supreme Court rejects Trump’s long-shot effort to overturn E. Jean Carroll verdict

17 August, 2026

Latin American

Forbes México
Forbes México

The Supreme Court confirms that Trump must pay $5 million to E. Jean Carroll

17 August, 2026

La Vanguardia
La Vanguardia

El Supremo ratifica por segunda vez el veredicto por abuso sexual contra Trump en el caso Carroll

17 August, 2026

Univision
Univision

The Supreme Court again rejects Trump's pressure to overturn the $5 million verdict in the E. Jean Carroll case

17 August, 2026

Western Alternative

Mediaite
Mediaite

JUST IN: Supreme Court Hands Trump Loss in Final Bid to Toss $5M E. Jean Carroll Verdict

17 August, 2026

Asian

South China Morning Post
South China Morning Post

US top court again rejects Trump push to toss out E. Jean Carroll verdict

17 August, 2026

NewsCord Digest

Get every USA story like this one, in one email

Daily or weekly, only the topics you follow, each with the difference our analysis found across the outlets covering it.

Set up your digest

More on USA