ITV News · Gaza · 16 Aug 2026

One side gets far more space, the military's claims carry no caveat, and their dead are sourced, ours are stated as fact.

2.2
/ 10 · article score
scored on 8 of 10 measures

Every highlight is a quote the model flagged. Tap one — or a metric below — to see what it measures and why it scored the way it did.

Headline analysisMilitary claim verificationCasualty attribution symmetryPerspective allocation

Israel's Ben-Gvir suggests killing '30 to 40' people in Gaza nightly on podcast with ex-hostage

Israel's National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir publicly advocated killing “30 to 40” people in Gaza each night in comments made in a podcast hosted by a former Israeli hostage. Ben-Gvir, a member of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's coalition cabinet, made the remarks on Rom Braslavski's podcast while discussing Israel's recovery from Hamas' attack on October 7, 2023. Criticising a recent reduction of Israeli airstrikes in Gaza, the lawyer and politician said: “It’s no secret, I disagree with the prime minister. “I think targeted assassinations should be carried out in Gaza, taking down 30 to 40 every night. Not just those who pose an immediate threat – there are people there who are not worthy of life. They shouldn’t live. They’re not even people.” Similar statements have been made in the past by Ben-Gvir and other Israeli officials, many of which have been presented to the United Nation's world court as evidence of genocidal intent against the Palestinians. Israel denies that it has committed genocide in Gaza. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir in the Knesset in 2023. Credit: AP Ben-Gvir, leader of Israel's far-right Otzma Yehudit (Jewish Power) party, has served as Israel's national security minister since 2022 as part of a coalition deal with Netanyahu's Likud party. Figures like Ben-Gvir have become more popular among Israelis since Hamas’ brutal attack in 2023, which saw militants kill around 1,200 people and take 251 hostages. Many hostages have recounted long-term starvation, physical and psychological abuse and, in some cases, sexual abuse. Ben-Gvir does not have power over the country’s military and cannot order strikes on Gaza. But, after operating for decades within Israel's far-right fringe, he is now one of the most influential people in the country. He has substantial control over key parts of Israel’s security apparatus, running the country’s prisons — where thousands of Palestinians from Gaza and the West Bank are incarcerated – as well as the national police force. He has previously boasted of lessening food rations for Palestinian prisoners. Israel’s top court ruled in 2025 that the prison service under Ben-Gvir was depriving Palestinians of a minimum subsistence diet. 'A horrific act of terror': Settlers siege Palestinian homes in the West Bank Israeli airstrikes on southern Lebanon kill 11 people, threatening fragile truce Until recently, Israel was striking Gaza nearly every day, attacks that have killed over 1,250 people since an October truce deal came into effect, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry. Israel's military, which says the strikes have targeted Hamas militants, appeared to ease off on the attacks in a quiet concession to US President Donald Trump after Netanyahu rejected the president’s latest attempt to move the truce forward. Israeli media last week reported that the authority for carrying out strikes has now been limited to the army’s chief of staff, raising the ire of right-wing lawmakers such as Ben-Gvir. In the same podcast appearance, the lawmaker advocated for mass emigration of Palestinians from Gaza – a proposal that international lawyers say could amount to ethnic cleansing – and resettlement of Gaza by Israel. Israel withdrew from the Gaza Strip 20 years ago, dismantling a block of 21 Jewish settlements known as “Gush Katif” and pulling out its forces. Since the most recent war, Israel now controls 60-70% of Gaza having established a so-called "yellow line", having pushed beyond a boundary agreed under a ceasefire deal. Subscribe for free to our weekly newsletter for exclusive and original coverage from ITV Wales, sent direct to your inbox every Saturday morning. “I see all of Gaza as ours,” said Ben-Gvir said during the interview. “Settlements not just in Gush Katif but throughout Gaza, encouraging as much emigration as possible, sending them to their countries, and for the terrorists, no emigration, nothing, just to kill them one by one.” Trump’s latest proposal involves Hamas gradually giving up its weapons while Israeli forces halt their attacks and begin withdrawing from Gaza. Hamas accepted the deal, although the group linked the surrender of its heaviest weapons to the creation of a Palestinian state, something Israel’s current government and most of its political class adamantly reject. Netanyahu says Israel will not retreat from any of its positions in Gaza until Hamas has been completely disarmed. The stance leaves other elements of the ceasefire, including the deployment of international forces and any reconstruction of the devastated territory, on hold. Want a quick and expert briefing on the biggest news stories? Listen to our latest podcasts to find out What You Need To Know…

Read the original article ↗