The New York Times · Gaza · 19 Aug 2026

Passive voice hides who attacked, and one side gets far more space.

4.0
/ 10 · article score
scored on 6 of 10 measures

Every highlight is a quote the model flagged. Tap one — or a metric below — to see what it measures and why it scored the way it did.

Aggressor framingHeadline analysisPerspective allocation

Israel Opens Criminal Investigation Into Killings of Hind Rajab and Gaza Medical Workers

The Israeli military said on Wednesday that it would open criminal investigations into the killing of Palestinians by its troops in two high-profile cases during the war in Gaza, including the deaths of Hind Rajab, a 5-year-old girl, and of more than a dozen medical workers. The decision to open the criminal investigations into suspicions of military misconduct during the war came after a lengthy review of the cases and followed widespread international condemnation of Israel’s conduct, with several rights groups and governments accusing the country of war crimes. Image An undated handout photograph of Hind Rajab. Credit... Agence France-Presse — Getty Images More than 70,000 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza during the war, according to the territory’s health ministry, whose data does not distinguish between civilians and combatants but has included thousands of children. The Israeli military said in a statement on Wednesday that a fact-finding mission had completed a review of about 150 incidents during the war, which was waged after the Hamas-led attack on Israel on Oct. 7, 2023 , and had transferred them to the military prosecution services for examination. Such investigations have rarely led to convictions. The first of the two cases to be investigated involves the deaths of Hind Rajab and six members of her family who were killed in a car in Gaza City in January 2024, as well as the shelling of a Palestine Red Crescent ambulance that had tried to approach the vehicle, an attack that caused the deaths of two paramedics. The second case involves the fatal shooting in March 2025 of 14 Palestinian medics and rescue workers in southern Gaza, as well as that of a U.N. employee who drove by after the others had been shot. The military said that it had found no grounds for criminal investigation in three other cases, including the killing of seven employees of World Central Kitchen, a relief group, in April 2024. The military also declined to open a criminal investigation into a deadly strike on a building occupied by Doctors Without Borders in February 2024 or into the killing of two of the medical organization’s employees who were traveling in a convoy in Gaza City in November 2023. Natan Odenheimer contributed reporting.

Read the original article ↗