New York Post · Iran · 20 Aug 2026

0.8
/ 10 · article score
scored on 4 of 11 measures · thin coverage

Every highlight is a quote the model flagged. Tap one — or a metric below — to see what it measures and why it scored the way it did.

Headline analysis

Trump announces ‘Economic D-Day’ against Iran: ‘Most crushing economic operation ever taken’ 

President Trump announced Wednesday that the US will target Iran and its allies with “the most crushing economic operation ever taken against any country” – dubbing the effort “Economic D-Day.” “No one has given the Islamic Republic of Iran a greater opportunity to make a Deal than me,” Trump wrote on Truth Social . “TRAGICALLY, for them, they have failed to take it.” 3 President Donald Trump speaks to the press as he tours a new helipad on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026. MediaPunch / BACKGRID “Therefore, today, I am announcing the MOST CRUSHING ECONOMIC OPERATION EVER TAKEN AGAINST ANY COUNTRY!” the president announced. “This will be Economic Warfare and Isolation on an unprecedented scale.” Trump said Iran is “hanging by a thread” as a result of US military strikes that have devastated the country’s navy, air force and military infrastructure — and declared that “ANY country that allows its financial institutions, businesses, airports, or government entities to provide any type of lifeline to Iran will itself face TREMENDOUS Economic Consequences.” “Oil smuggling, swap lines, cash transfers, exchange houses, ship registries, front companies — It all needs to stop NOW. You know who you are,” the president warned. Explore More US quietly guides millions of barrels of oil through Strait of Hormuz in stealth operation Iran threatens to strike US bases in Europe if Trump escalates war: report US charges 17 Iranians in cyber-theft campaign targeting hundreds of universities worldwide Trump likened the operation to “an ECONOMIC D-DAY” that will require “our Allies to stand with the United States of America to isolate, and defeat, the Iran threat.” 3 US airstrikes have decimated Iran’s military infrastructure, according to Trump. Social Media via REUTERS Trump’s declaration comes after the 60-day period for negotiations to end the war – established under an interim peace deal signed in June – expired Monday without a breakthrough. On Tuesday, the president indicated that no further talks with the regime are planned and the US Naval blockade of Iranian ports in the Strait of Hormuz “remains in full force and effect.” 3 No new talks between the US and Iran are planned, Trump said earlier this week. AFP via Getty Images “These maniacs are on the ropes, and these HISTORIC MEASURES will cripple them and their ability to project terror worldwide,” Trump’s post continued. “IRAN WILL NEVER HAVE A NUCLEAR WEAPON. THANK YOU FOR YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS MATTER.” The White House did not immediately respond to The Post’s request for comment.

Read the original article ↗