1,754 Settlers Storm Al-Aqsa Mosque Courtyards Under Israeli Security Protection
Image: وكالة صدى نيوز

1,754 Settlers Storm Al-Aqsa Mosque Courtyards Under Israeli Security Protection

22 May, 2026.Gaza Genocide.8 sources

Key Takeaways

  • Settlers stormed the Al-Aqsa courtyards carrying offerings.
  • Jordan condemned the incursions; eight countries condemned the raids.
  • Heavy security protection enabled repeated mosque incursions.

Al-Aqsa incursions escalate

More than 1,754 settlers stormed the courtyards of the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound last week under heavy security protection, according to وكالة سبأ, as the frequency of incursions increased and attempts to impose a new reality within the holy site accelerated.

The Al-Aqsa Mosque witnessed a development described as 'dangerous and unprecedented' after a group of settlers managed to storm its courtyards yesterday, Friday, carrying 'plant offerings' known as the 'bread offering', which are pieces of bread stained with blood used in Jewish religious rites, in an incident described as the first of its kind since 1967

Al-Jazeera NetAl-Jazeera Net

The same report said the incursions coincided with concessions granted to settlers by Israeli occupation forces, including extending the permitted hours for incursions during both the morning and afternoon periods.

Image from Al-Jazeera Net
Al-Jazeera NetAl-Jazeera Net

In occupied Quds, the Islamic Waqf Department said nine settlers stormed Al-Aqsa Mosque through the Al-Ghawanimah Gate, assaulted two mosque guards, and reached the Dome of the Rock courtyard carrying what is known as the "bread offering."

The incident occurred on a Friday, a day when Al-Aqsa Mosque is closed to settler incursions, and it was described as the first time settlers reached the Dome of the Rock courtyard, according to وكالة سبأ.

In a separate account, SadaNews said six settlers stormed Al-Aqsa this evening, Friday, carrying "bread offerings" after assaulting two of the mosque's guards and reaching the area surrounding the Dome of the Rock through the Al-Ghawanima Gate.

Condemnations and competing counts

Foreign ministers from the United Arab Emirates, Jordan, Turkey, Egypt, Indonesia, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, and Qatar condemned the recurring violations of the historic and legal status quo in Jerusalem’s holy sites, including incursions into Al-Aqsa by Israeli settlers and extremist ministers under protection of Israeli police, according to سكاي نيوز عربية.

The UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs said the ministers reaffirmed that these provocative acts at Al-Aqsa constitute a "flagrant breach of international law and international humanitarian law."

Image from TRT Arabi
TRT ArabiTRT Arabi

Jordan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, through a spokesperson Fuad al-Majali, condemned the ongoing incursions by settlers into Al-Aqsa and described an attempt to introduce offerings into a courtyard as a "flagrant violation of international law" and a "blatant breach of the sanctities."

While the counts of the Friday incursion varied across reports, SadaNews described six settlers carrying "bread offerings," and وكالة سبأ described nine settlers reaching the Dome of the Rock courtyard carrying the "bread offering."

What’s at stake next

Jordanian officials warned that the incursions come in the context of attempts to impose new facts on the ground aimed at dividing the mosque temporally and spatially, with Fuad al-Majali saying the Kingdom rejects the practices that violate the historical and legal status quo.

Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate had earlier on Friday announced that nine settlers stormed the Al-Aqsa Mosque after assaulting two of its guards, while they were carrying a plant offering

TRT ArabiTRT Arabi

The Jordanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs reiterated that there is no sovereignty by Israeli occupation authorities over the holy shrines and said the Blessed Al-Aqsa Mosque, in its full area of 144 dunams, is a pure place of worship for Muslims, according to سانا.

سكاي نيوز عربية also said the ministers stressed the need to preserve the historic and legal status quo and renewed the assertion that the entire area of the Al-Aqsa Mosque / Haram al-Sharif, spanning 144 dunams, is a place of worship exclusive to Muslims.

In parallel, the Al-Aqsa Mosque incident was framed as part of a broader pattern of Temple-related attempts to impose rituals inside the mosque, with Al-Jazeera Net describing the "bread offering" as an incident that was "dangerous and unprecedented" and the first of its kind since 1967.

Al-Jazeera Net further quoted Jerusalem-based researcher Ziad Abuheish warning: "We are facing rites of encroachment and substitution more than rites related to the unseen or the afterlife."

More on Gaza Genocide