Full story
Alcaraz returns to US Open
Carlos Alcaraz confirmed on Thursday that he will return to competitive tennis at the U.S. Open after a more than four-month absence caused by a right wrist injury, with the tournament running Aug. 30-Sept. 13 in New York.
“Aug 20 : Carlos Alcaraz will return to competitive tennis at the U.S. Open”
CNA reported that the seven-times Grand Slam champion will play after withdrawing from the Barcelona Open in April and missing the French Open, Wimbledon, and the North American hard-court events in Toronto and Cincinnati.

TheScore said Alcaraz’s status for the American Slam was in doubt after he withdrew from the Cincinnati Open earlier this month, and it noted he will attempt to defend his US Open title after missing two consecutive majors.
Bleacher Report added that Alcaraz made his return official in a joint Instagram post with Fabrizio Romano, and it quoted Romano’s announcement: "Here we go! Carlos Alcaraz will return to the tour at the U.S. Open".
The New York Times framed the announcement as a social-media message, quoting Alcaraz’s six-word return line: "I’m coming back. Here we go."
Training, rivals, and doubts
CNA said Alcaraz trained with Denmark's Holger Rune in Murcia as he tested the injury at higher intensity, and it added that he gradually increased his workload in recent weeks.
Eurosport reported that Alcaraz published a "Here we go !" on X accompanied by the American flag, and it said the Spaniard had not played in competition since the Barcelona tournament in April.

LaSexta quoted former coach Rick Macci, who said the last Grand Slam of the year would be "muy igualado" if Alcaraz plays the US Open, while also expressing doubts about how he might handle the event.
The New York Times connected the return to the next week’s health question, writing that "Assuming his wrist stays healthy during the next week" he will look to renew his rivalry with world No. 1 Jannik Sinner.
Bleacher Report noted that despite missing Wimbledon and Roland-Garros, Alcaraz remained No. 2 in the ATP rankings behind only Sinner, putting him in position to be among the top seeds at the U.S. Open.
What’s at stake next
Alcaraz’s return is set to be directly at the last Grand Slam of the season, and CNA said the bid is to defend his title in New York after he won his first Grand Slam at Flushing Meadows in 2022.
“ending a more than four-month absence caused by a wrist injury, in a bid to defend his title in New York”
TSN described him as the defending champion and said he will be back to defend his title later this month, adding that he did not compete at either Roland Garros or Wimbledon after winning the Australian Open.
The New York Times said the U.S. Open singles participation was not yet fully set in stone, noting that the main draws get underway Aug. 30 and that the draw for singles participation would be decided on Aug. 27.
El Confidencial said the U.S. Open will be held in New York from August 30 to September 13, and it described Alcaraz’s injury timeline beginning with his withdrawal from the Trofeo Conde de Godó on April 15.
Finally, TheScore and CNA both tied the comeback to the U.S. Open’s timing and Alcaraz’s absence, with TheScore noting he hasn’t played since withdrawing from the Barcelona Open in April following his opening-round victory over Otto Virtanen.



