Full story
Hakim charged over Heaton Park
A man has been charged in connection with the terror attack at the Heaton Park synagogue in Manchester last year, with Counter Terrorism Policing North West charging Hekmat Omar Ali Hakim, 49, of St James Road, Higher Broughton, with failing to disclose information about terrorist activity.
“called it a "significant development"”
Sky News said Assistant Chief Constable Rob Potts, head of counter-terrorism policing in the North West, called the charge a "significant development".

The attack on 2 October 2025 killed worshippers Melvin Cravitz and Adrian Daulby, after Jihad al Shamie, 35, a Syrian-born British citizen, drove into the gates of the Heaton Park Hebrew Congregation Synagogue and attacked with a knife while wearing a fake suicide vest.
The sources describe Al Shamie being shot dead as he charged at officers with the knife, and they say Hakim was remanded to appear before Westminster Magistrates' Court on Friday.
LBC said the 49-year-old Iraqi national was charged with failing to disclose information relating to terrorist activity, after the attack left two people dead and three other men treated in hospital for serious injuries before being released.
Potts’ statement and court date
Assistant Chief Constable Rob Potts, who holds operational responsibility for Counter Terrorism Policing North West, said: "This charge is directly related to the terrorist attack which took place at the Heaton Park Hebrew Congregation Synagogue last October."
In the same statement carried by The Independent, Potts added: "This is a significant development in our investigation, and my thoughts are with all those affected by the attack, particularly the bereaved loved ones and survivors."

The Independent said Hakim has been remanded in custody to appear before Westminster Magistrates' Court on Friday, while About Manchester said he was remanded to appear before Westminster Magistrates Court tomorrow.
About Manchester also tied the charge directly to the attack on the morning of Thursday 2 October 2025, naming Melvin Cravitz and Adrian Daulby as the two who died and saying three other men were treated in hospital for serious injuries before being released.
The Jewish Chronicle likewise said Counter Terrorism Policing North West charged Hakim on Thursday and that he was remanded in custody to appear before Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Friday.
Investigation links and wider impact
The Times of India said police described the charge as a "significant development" and reported that there had been eight arrests in connection with the attack, with Hakim's case being the first charge to relate directly to the events of October 2.
“described the charge as a "significant development"”
The Times of India also placed the attack in context of a separate case, saying Mohammad Bashir, 31, was jailed for life in July with a minimum term of 17 years after being convicted of preparing acts of terrorism.
According to The Times of India, Bashir had plotted with Al-Shamie to target the UK's Defence Academy near Shrivenham and drove him on a 10-hour round trip to conduct hostile reconnaissance of the site in August 2025.
Sky News said a man who plotted with the Manchester attacker to target the UK Defence Academy near Swindon was convicted in July of preparing acts of terror, and it described the attack as happening on Yom Kippur.
Radio Royal said the 35-year-old attacker was shot dead by police and that Hakim was remanded to appear before Westminster Magistrates’ Court tomorrow, as the charge relates to failing to disclose information about terrorist activity.

