Israel Approves Defence Compound, Museum and Recruitment Office on Demolished UNRWA Site in East Jerusalem
Image: TRT World

Israel Approves Defence Compound, Museum and Recruitment Office on Demolished UNRWA Site in East Jerusalem

17 May, 2026.Gaza Genocide.15 sources

Key Takeaways

  • Israel approves Defense Ministry complex, IDF museum, recruitment office on former UNRWA site.
  • Project sits on the demolished UNRWA site in Sheikh Jarrah.
  • Palestinian authorities condemned the plan as an escalation.

UNRWA site becomes IDF

The planned compound is set to include a military museum, a recruitment office and a defence minister’s office, and Defence Minister Israel Katz called the decision one of “sovereignty, Zionism, and security.”

Image from Al-Jazeera Net
Al-Jazeera NetAl-Jazeera Net

The Reuters report says Israel demolished structures inside the UNRWA East Jerusalem compound in January after seizing the site last year, and UNRWA had not used the building since the start of last year after Israel ordered it to vacate and cease operations.

The dispute is tied to Israel’s allegations about UNRWA staff and the October 7 attacks by Hamas, with Reuters reporting that Israel has alleged some UNRWA staff were members of Hamas and took part in the attack on Israel on October 7, 2023, which killed about 1,200 Israelis.

Reuters also reports that UNRWA operates in Gaza, the West Bank and elsewhere in the Middle East, providing schooling, healthcare, social services and shelter to millions of Palestinians, and that a UNRWA spokesperson declined to comment on the Israeli plan.

Katz’s framing, Guterres’ pushback

Israel’s Defence Minister Israel Katz framed the plan as justified by linking the new IDF recruitment office and defence institutions to Hamas’ October 7 attack, saying, “There is nothing more symbolic or justified than establishing the new IDF recruitment office and defence establishment institutions precisely on the ruins of the former UNRWA compound.”

The Jerusalem Post reported that Katz said the government led by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu approved his proposal on Jerusalem Day, and he described the move as building “and strengthening Jerusalem - the eternal capital of the Jewish people” on the ruins of the demolished UNRWA complex.

Image from Anadolu Ajansı
Anadolu AjansıAnadolu Ajansı

In response, the Jerusalem Governorate condemned the Israeli approval as “a dangerous escalation and a serious breach of international law,” and it called on UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres to take urgent steps to refer Israel to the International Court of Justice if it does not revoke laws and measures targeting UNRWA.

The Anadolu Ajansı report says the governorate described the conversion of the UNRWA compound into Israeli military facilities as “a grave violation of the immunities and privileges of United Nations organizations,” and it cited the January demolition of the UNRWA compound in Sheikh Jarrah as occurring under the direct supervision of National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir.

An Al Arabiya English report similarly describes the plan as including a military museum, a recruitment office and a defense minister’s office, while noting that UNRWA had not used the building since Israel ordered it to vacate and cease operations.

Land allocation and legal stakes

The Anadolu Ajansı report says the joint statement by Israel’s Defense Ministry and the Jerusalem municipality stated the ministry would allocate 36 dunams (nearly 8.9 acres) of land for the construction of a new Israeli army museum and “an advanced recruitment office.”

Jerusalem Governorate condemns Israel's plan to turn UNRWA compound into military facilities Israel approved plans to build Defense Ministry office, army museum, recruitment center on former UNRWA compound in Sheikh Jarrah Layan Bsharat 17 May 2026•Update: 17 May 2026 Türkiye, İstanbul The Jerusalem Governorate on Sunday described Israeli approval to convert the former compound of the UN agency for Palestinian refugees (UNRWA) in the Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood into Israeli military facilities as “a dangerous escalation and a serious breach of international law

Anadolu AjansıAnadolu Ajansı

It adds that the governorate said the project followed the demolition of the UNRWA compound in Sheikh Jarrah in January under the direct supervision of National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir, and it argued Katz’s plan allocates approximately 36 dunams without a public tender.

Al-Jazeera Net’s account says the Palestinian Authority governorate described the approval as a serious escalation and a flagrant violation of international law, and it argued the step breached Israel’s obligations as the occupying power under the Fourth Geneva Convention.

That same report says the governorate called on UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres to refer Israel to the International Court of Justice and to return assets and properties it seized, warning that continued international silence would encourage further assaults on international institutions and the Palestinian people in Jerusalem.

The Reuters-linked reporting also places the plan within a wider conflict over UNRWA’s role, noting that Israel has alleged Hamas involvement by some UNRWA staff while UNRWA has fired several staff members and said Israel had not provided evidence for all allegations, with Philippe Lazzarini accusing Israel of “a large-scale disinformation campaign.”

More on Gaza Genocide