Jared Kushner Meets Benjamin Netanyahu in Jerusalem After Hamas Talks in Egypt
Image: Ynetnews

Jared Kushner Meets Benjamin Netanyahu in Jerusalem After Hamas Talks in Egypt

16 August, 2026.Gaza Genocide.19 sources

Developing · updated 1h ago · 19 outlets

Kushner met Netanyahu in Jerusalem after Hamas talks in Egypt to advance Gaza plan. Netanyahu demanded Hamas disarmament before any Israeli withdrawal or progress.

2.3We read these line by lineNBC News framed this story hardest. 3 of 19 sources analysed.See it →
19 outlets1 divideseverity 2/10

Beat 1 · The verdict

Reuters pairs “no breakthrough” with a 30-day progress forecast, leaning optimistic

Read them yourself

Do not take our word for it. Here is what they published.

All 19 outlets

Full story

Kushner meets Netanyahu

Jared Kushner, President Donald Trump’s son-in-law and envoy, met Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Jerusalem after holding rare talks with Hamas in Egypt, in an effort to advance a stalled Gaza peace deal.

Kushner described his nearly four-hour meeting with Netanyahu as "good"

ReutersReuters

The Guardian reported Netanyahu told Kushner there could be no progress on the stalled Gaza ceasefire deal or an Israeli withdrawal from the coastal strip until Hamas first disarms, and that an Israeli official said there had been no breakthrough in the meeting.

Image from CBC
CBCCBC

Reuters said Kushner left Jerusalem on Monday without a breakthrough after two days of talks with Israeli and Hamas leaders, with both sides standing firm on key demands.

Reuters reported that Israel has carried out air strikes and seized more territory in Gaza despite an October ceasefire, while Hamas refused to give up its weapons.

In the same Reuters account, Kushner described his nearly four-hour meeting with Netanyahu as "good" and said Hamas representatives told him "all the right things."

Disarmament blocks withdrawal

The Guardian said Netanyahu insisted there could be no Israeli withdrawal or reconstruction without full Hamas disarmament, and that the Israeli prime minister requested that a US general supervise the group’s handover of weapons.

NBC News reported that Netanyahu and Kushner agreed that Gaza Strip “demilitarization” should start with a Hamas weapons handover supervised by an American military general, according to a senior Israeli official.

Image from ColombiaOne
ColombiaOneColombiaOne

In the Reuters account, Netanyahu rejected the deal this month, insisting that Israel would not pull back until Hamas is completely disarmed, while Kushner said the United States will not restrict Israel's right to defend itself if there are imminent threats.

NBC News also said Netanyahu “made it clear” that the Israel Defense Forces will not redeploy but will “continue to thwart” threats to its forces and the residents of Israel.

Reuters added that Netanyahu and Kushner agreed that Gaza's reconstruction would not start until Hamas is disarmed, and quoted Kushner saying, "We're very committed to the fact that we have a plan to rebuild Gaza, but we will not allow Gaza to be rebuilt until the demilitarization occurs."

What’s at stake next

Reuters said more than 1,200 Palestinians and four Israeli soldiers have been killed in Gaza since last October, and it tied the stalled diplomacy to continued Israeli air strikes and Hamas refusal to give up its weapons.

More than 1,200 Palestinians and four Israeli soldiers have been killed in Gaza

ReutersReuters

At stake, Reuters reported, was a plan for reconstruction of the war-ravaged Gaza Strip, with Kushner saying reconstruction would not begin until demilitarization occurs and with the prime minister’s office and the Board of Peace agreeing that disarmament and demilitarization should be prompt and completed before any reconstruction happens.

The Guardian said the timing of the meeting was not auspicious because Netanyahu was struggling in the polls ahead of national elections later this year, and it described Gaza as a highly charged issue where Netanyahu is seen as vulnerable.

NBC News reported that Powerful National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir condemned efforts to advance the ceasefire deal and called for the “targeted” killing of “30 or 40” people in Gaza every night.

In the NBC News account, Ben-Gvir said on a podcast hosted by Rom Braslavski, "I think we need to carry out targeted killings in Gaza — take out 30 or 40 every night."

Story read · 19 outlets · 1 disagreement

Coverage map

Western Mainstream (14)

African (1)

Western Alternative (1)

Latin American (1)

How each outlet frames it

Every outlet we compared, the headline it ran, and a link to the original article.

We scored these line by line

Our Watchdog read these 3 articles sentence by sentence. 0 means no framing found, 10 means severe. How we score.

NBC News
NBC News2.3 / 10

Kushner and Netanyahu agree U.S. general should oversee Hamas ‘demilitarization,’ source says

17 August, 2026

The Guardian
The Guardian2.3 / 10

Netanyahu and Kushner talks make no breakthrough on stalled Gaza deal

18 August, 2026

The New York Times

Kushner Meets Netanyahu in Israel in Effort to Break Logjam Over Gaza

17 August, 2026

African

Africanews
Africanews

Kushner seeks to revive Gaza peace as Netanyahu resists Hamas disarmament

17 August, 2026

Western Mainstream

CBC
CBC

Kushner meets Netanyahu to revive stalled Gaza peace plan

18 August, 2026

Cnn
Cnn

Kushner meets Netanyahu after talks with Hamas on stalled Gaza peace plan

18 August, 2026

DW
DW

Netanyahu meets with Kushner in Jerusalem

17 August, 2026

El Mundo
El Mundo

Kushner presiona a Netanyahu para avanzar en el plan sobre Gaza

17 August, 2026

Euronews
Euronews

Kushner cierra las conversaciones sobre Gaza sin avances

17 August, 2026

France 24
France 24

Kushner meets with Netanyahu seeking to unblock the Gaza peace plan: where are the obstacles?

17 August, 2026

LaSexta
LaSexta

Trump’s son-in-law meets Netanyahu after meeting Hamas in Egypt to try to unlock the peace plan for Gaza.

17 August, 2026

Reuters
Reuters

Kushner's talks with Israel, Hamas end without breakthrough on Trump Gaza plan

17 August, 2026

RFI
RFI

Trump's envoy meets with Netanyahu after talks with Hamas on Gaza peace

17 August, 2026

RTVE.es
RTVE.es

Trump's son-in-law pressures Netanyahu to speed up the U.S. 15-point plan for Gaza

17 August, 2026

The Washington Post
The Washington Post

Kushner, Netanyahu make little progress on advancing Gaza deal after meeting

17 August, 2026

Western Alternative

ColombiaOne
ColombiaOne

US Moves to Advance Trump’s Gaza Peace Plan

17 August, 2026

Latin American

La Vanguardia
La Vanguardia

EE.UU. fracasa en su intento de hacer avanzar el plan de paz de Trump para Gaza

17 August, 2026

Israeli

The Times of Israel
The Times of Israel

Palestinian-American raises US flag upon return to Qusra home besieged by settlers

17 August, 2026

Ynetnews
Ynetnews

Kushner meets Hamas, heads to Netanyahu to close Gaza deal as Washington loses patience

16 August, 2026

NewsCord Digest

Get every War on Gaza story like this one, in one email

Daily or weekly, only the topics you follow, each with the difference our analysis found across the outlets covering it.

Set up your digest

More on Gaza Genocide