Jean-Philippe Mateta Takes Crystal Palace Contract Dispute To FIFA Over 2024 Extension
Image: Tribuna

Jean-Philippe Mateta Takes Crystal Palace Contract Dispute To FIFA Over 2024 Extension

22 August, 2026.Sports.16 sources

Developing · updated 1h ago · 16 outlets

Mateta challenges validity of the final 10 months of his Crystal Palace contract. He argues the 12-month extension activated in 2024 is invalid.

16 outlets2 divides1 fact unevenly coveredseverity 2/10

Beat 1 · The verdict

Football Today says FIFA left the case unresolved; Goal says FIFA declined intervention as out of remit.

Read them yourself

Do not take our word for it. Here is what they published.

All 16 outlets

Full story

Mateta vs Palace at FIFA

Jean-Philippe Mateta has taken his contract dispute with Crystal Palace to FIFA, arguing that the final year of his deal is invalid after Palace activated a 12-month extension in 2024.

FIFA ruled earlier this week that it does not have the jurisdiction to overturn the existing contract

Football TodayFootball Today

The France international’s argument centers on whether that extra year is legally enforceable, with his contract currently due to expire at the end of the 2026/27 season.

Image from AOL.co.uk
AOL.co.ukAOL.co.uk

A Premier League rules tribunal first considered his case before it was taken to FIFA, but FIFA ruled earlier this week that it does not have the jurisdiction to overturn the existing contract, leaving the dispute unresolved.

Mateta started Crystal Palace’s Premier League opener against Everton on Saturday, and the dispute has unfolded as clubs show interest in him ahead of the transfer window deadline.

Appeals fail; tribunal outcome

Mateta failed in an attempt to have the extension ruled invalid by an independent Premier League tribunal and FIFA, with the AOL.co.uk report saying official confirmation of the outcome has not been disclosed.

talkSPORT said the Premier League tribunal over the contest was held midway through last season and “didn't go in the player's favour,” before Mateta took his case to FIFA.

Image from BBC
BBCBBC

In the same reporting, FIFA is described as having ruled that the dispute falls outside its jurisdiction, meaning Mateta’s contract at Selhurst Park remains binding.

The dispute is also framed alongside Palace’s early-season squad issues, including Pierre Sage’s insistence that Ismaïla Sarr will remain at the club despite strong interest from Galatasaray.

What happens next for Palace

With FIFA declining jurisdiction, Mateta’s current deal remains in place as Palace brace for more interest in the final days of the window and continue to reject enquiries, including one from Aston Villa.

Palace have already rejected an enquiry from Aston Villa for Mateta this week

Football TodayFootball Today

talkSPORT said Aston Villa are understood to have enquired about a potential move for Mateta this summer, while Palace are also linked with further attention for Adam Wharton and Daniel Muñoz.

The contractual fight is tied to Mateta’s stated position that the final year should be considered null and void, but multiple reports stress that the extension activated by Palace in 2024 is still treated as binding.

As the season begins, Palace’s new manager Pierre Sage is also dealing with injuries and medical updates, including Chadi Riad being stretchered off with what appeared to be a serious knee injury after attempting to block a cross against Everton.