Full story
Maggie’s visit, hidden diagnosis
Queen Camilla said she was “longing to let it out” but “obviously I couldn’t” during a visit to a Maggie’s cancer support centre at the Royal Free Hospital in London on January 31, 2024, after she had learned King Charles had cancer but before the diagnosis was publicly announced.
“The Queen officially opened a new Maggie’s cancer support centre at the Royal Free Hospital in north-west London on Jan 31, 2024”
In the same film, Camilla recalled: “Nobody could say anything at the time. That was quite difficult,” as she carried on with an official engagement with cancer patients and their families while the palace announcement had not yet been made.

The BBC said the King’s cancer diagnosis was revealed on 5 February 2024, just days after the Queen’s engagement at the Royal Free.
The Telegraph reported that the King has been receiving treatment for an undisclosed form of cancer for more than two years after being diagnosed in January 2024, and that he was admitted to hospital on Jan 26, 2024 for treatment for an enlarged prostate.
The Telegraph also said the Queen officially opened a new Maggie’s cancer support centre at the Royal Free Hospital in north-west London on Jan 31, 2024, two days after the King had been discharged from hospital and five days before Buckingham Palace announced that he had cancer.
Coping, openness, and support
Camilla told Maggie’s chief executive Dame Laura Lee that she felt it “wasn’t the time to say” when she “almost said something” during the Royal Free visit.
The Guardian said Camilla released a “seven-minute film” to highlight the vital support Maggie’s offers cancer patients and to promote services for relatives and especially men who may be more reluctant to seek help.

The Telegraph reported that Dame Laura Lee said the King’s candour about his diagnosis had encouraged more people to visit the centres, and revealed a 12 per cent increase in male visitors.
In the film, Camilla said of her husband: “Look at my husband, nothing stopped him. He just said: ‘This is my way, I’m going to cope with it.’”
The BBC added that Buckingham Palace reiterated the King’s health continues to move in a “positive direction,” while noting that more than two years later he is still receiving cancer treatment.
What’s at stake next
The Telegraph said Maggie’s centres offer holistic support away from the clinical environment of a hospital, allowing patients and relatives to visit at any time to share stories and seek expert advice, with Dame Laura Lee saying: “We’re not saving them medically but we’re saving them psychologically and emotionally.”
““We’re not saving them medically but we’re saving them psychologically and emotionally,” Dame Laura said”
The Guardian reported that Maggie’s has 27 centres across the UK, built in the grounds of major NHS cancer hospitals, and that Camilla called on every hospital to have a Maggie’s centre.
The Telegraph said the Queen has visited 18 of the UK’s 27 centres, and that she praised their “uplifting” and “wonderfully welcoming” atmosphere while saying: “Every single city must have a Maggie’s.”
In the same coverage, the Telegraph said the King returned to public-facing engagements in April, prompting the Queen to say at the time that he “won’t slow down and won’t do what he’s told”.
The BBC said the King has never disclosed the type of cancer he has, while Maggie’s said his public announcement prompted a 12% increase in men contacting them with a cancer diagnosis.




