Full story
Benfold loses power
A US Navy guided-missile destroyer, the USS Benfold, spent four days last month without power in the South China Sea after an “engineering casualty involving its generators” occurred on July 24 during routine operations in the Indo-Pacific.
“spent four days last month without working toilets, galley services and air conditioning”
The power loss left the ship unable to maneuver on its own and disrupted working toilets, galley services, air conditioning and potable water, with Navy Cmdr. Matthew Comer saying “There were no injuries to the crew.”

Comer said the cause of the power outage is under investigation, and the Navy said the cruiser USS Robert Smalls provided cooked meals during the four days the Benfold was powerless.
The Benfold was towed to Subic Bay in the Philippines for repairs, and the Navy statement said the repairs were completed by August 8 and the ship returned to duty.
CNN reported the incident was another setback as concerns mount over the heavy strain on the US Navy due to the Iran war and global commitments, with Carl Schuster comparing the stress to his own experience near Puerto Rico.
Crew stress and scrutiny
Carl Schuster, a former US Navy captain, told CNN that in a power-loss scenario “Operations officers were worried about crew morale and operational concerns,” while engineers focused on restoring systems and the navigator worried about drift and weather.
CNN also linked the Benfold incident to wider scrutiny of Navy conditions, noting reports of low morale and mental health concerns aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln after it endured more than 200 days without a port call during operations against Iran.

Stars and Stripes said an email from fleet spokesman Cmdr. Matthew Comer described the same four-day outage affecting potable water, air conditioning, toilets and galley services, and it quoted Comer saying “We commend the crew on their actions and resilience.”
Stars and Stripes reported that the strike group came to the Benfold’s aid, with meals supplied by the cruiser USS Robert Smalls, and it said the George Washington Carrier Strike Group started Thursday for the Middle East to relieve the USS Abraham Lincoln.
The Independent similarly said the incident only became public on Friday when it was first reported by USNI News, and it quoted Comer emphasizing that the Benfold “needed assistance from the George Washington carrier strike group.”
Repairs, redeployment, risk
After the Benfold was towed to Subic Bay in the Philippines, Stars and Stripes reported that personnel from Ship Repair Facility – Japan Regional Maintenance Center, headquartered at Yokosuka Naval Base, Japan, met the ship on July 28.
““The ship’s power was restored, July 30, and all required repairs were completed prior to Benfold berth shifting for fuel, Aug. 7,””
Stars and Stripes said the crew was provided food and contracted lodging off the ship beginning, July 29, and that “The ship’s power was restored, July 30, and all required repairs were completed prior to Benfold berth shifting for fuel, Aug. 7,” according to Comer.
On August 8, the Benfold departed Subic Bay and is now at Yokosuka, while the George Washington Carrier Strike Group began moving toward the Middle East to relieve the USS Abraham Lincoln, according to Stars and Stripes.
The Independent said the carrier was expected to replace the Lincoln, and it warned that this would leave the waters of the Pacific without a U.S. carrier presence for an unknown period of time.
CNN added that the Benfold incident is the second loss of power to have hit a US Navy destroyer in Pacific Command’s area of responsibility, following a May power-and-propulsion loss aboard the USS Higgins after an “engineering casualty” in its electrical system.




