Buckingham Palace Withdraws Prince Harry’s Lodging Offer During London Visit
Image: Town & Country Magazine

Buckingham Palace Withdraws Prince Harry’s Lodging Offer During London Visit

06 July, 2026.Britain.16 sources

Buckingham Palace confirms Prince Harry will not stay at the palace during London visit. The lodging offer was withdrawn after a delayed response from Harry.

16 outlets4 divides3 facts unevenly coveredseverity 6/10

Beat 1 · The verdict

Telegraph and People cite Palace motives differently, creating double standards on blame.

Read them yourself

Do not take our word for it. Here is what they published.

All 16 outlets

Full story

Buckingham offer withdrawn

Prince Harry’s U.K. visit hit a fresh snag in London after Buckingham Palace said he could no longer stay at the royal residence, with his spokesman telling PEOPLE that the offer had been "withdrawn."

The offer for the Duke of Sussex, 41, to stay at Buckingham Palace has been "withdrawn,"

PeoplePeople

The dispute unfolded after the BBC first reported that Harry had accepted an invitation to stay at Buckingham Palace, but the palace then said that this was not correct, and the offer was ultimately withdrawn.

Image from ABC
ABCABC

The situation was tied to security arrangements, including the denial of official taxpayer-funded security by the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures (RAVEC), which his team said drove him to come alone to London.

PEOPLE reported that Harry, 41, had accepted the accommodation offer on Saturday, July 4, before being told it was too late to do so, while the palace sources said he had initially declined and then accepted later on Saturday.

The controversy also intersected with an expected court decision on Tuesday, July 7 in the Associated Newspapers Limited case involving Harry and other prominent people including Elton John and Elizabeth Hurley.

Two sides, conflicting accounts

Buckingham Palace’s account and Harry’s team’s account diverged sharply, with the palace saying Harry missed a deadline and staff could not be prepared on short notice.

The Telegraph described the palace’s position that “common courtesy required a minimum level of notice to be given to the staff who make a stay at a royal residence work,” while Harry’s spokesperson said the timing was unclear after he had formally accepted.

Image from ABC News
ABC NewsABC News

In the statement carried by PEOPLE, Harry’s spokesman said, "It is therefore disappointing that the offer has now been withdrawn, with Tuesday’s judgment in the Associated Newspapers Limited case cited as the reason."

The Guardian framed the episode as a reversal after Harry had accepted an invitation, quoting his spokesperson that it was “disappointing that the offer has now been withdrawn” because officials had “been aware of [it] since last Thursday”.

The dispute also tied into the constitutional sensitivity of the impending High Court ruling, with the palace and courtiers concerned the King could be "compromise"d if Harry stayed at a royal residence while the case was decided.

What happens next

With the Buckingham Palace stay withdrawn, Harry was set to revert to alternative plans for private accommodation in London, while his wife Meghan Markle and their children Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet would not join him for the London leg.

Britain’s Prince Harry will likely not stay at the monarch’s longtime official residence or any other royal property

NBC NewsNBC News

NBC News said Harry’s spokesman indicated he would likely not stay at the monarch’s official residence or any other royal property when he visits London later this week, and that his family’s travel plans were walked back over the weekend.

The trip was scheduled to include engagements in London and Birmingham, with the Invictus Games one-year countdown in Birmingham and a five-day visit starting Tuesday.

CBS News reported that the visit would coincide with the delivery of a judgment expected Tuesday in Harry’s privacy claim against Associated Newspapers, publisher of the Daily Mail, and that the palace had made multiple requests for clarification but did not receive a formal response.

The stakes for the family’s plans remained unresolved in the sources, with ABC News saying it was not known where Harry would stay in London and that it was also unclear whether Meghan and the children would join him later in Birmingham.

Story read · 16 outlets · 4 disagreements · 3 facts unevenly covered

Coverage map

Western Mainstream (13)

Local Western (1)

Western Tabloid (1)

Other (1)

How each outlet frames it

Every outlet we compared, the headline it ran, and a link to the original article.

Western Mainstream

ABC
ABC

No royal residence and no security: Buckingham Palace denies lodging to Prince Harry during his London visit.

05 July, 2026

ABC News
ABC News

Prince Harry won't stay at Buckingham Palace during London visit, meeting with King Charles unknown

05 July, 2026

BBC
BBC

Buckingham Palace says Prince Harry will not stay at palace

06 July, 2026

CBS News
CBS News

Buckingham Palace says Prince Harry not staying there on U.K. visit, contradicting his spokesperson

06 July, 2026

Global News
Global News

Prince Harry won’t stay at Buckingham Palace during U.K. visit

06 July, 2026

Marie Claire
Marie Claire

“Recollections May Vary” After King Charles and Prince Harry’s Representatives Present Conflicting Stories About His Palace Stay

06 July, 2026

NBC News
NBC News

Prince Harry’s U.K. trip sparks fresh dispute over Buckingham Palace stay

06 July, 2026

People
People

Prince Harry Told He Can No Longer Stay at Buckingham Palace During London Visit

08 July, 2026

RTL Info
RTL Info

Invitation withdrawn: Why Prince Harry will travel to London alone and will not stay at Buckingham Palace?

07 July, 2026

Sky News
Sky News

Buckingham Palace denies Prince Harry will stay at London landmark

05 July, 2026

The Guardian
The Guardian

Buckingham Palace says Harry can no longer stay at royal residence on UK visit

06 July, 2026

The Telegraph
The Telegraph

Buckingham Palace tells Prince Harry: You can’t stay here

06 July, 2026

Town & Country Magazine
Town & Country Magazine

Why Prince Harry Won’t Be Staying at Buckingham Palace While in London

06 July, 2026

Local Western

Blick
Blick

King Charles III travels to the United States in a delicate context.

06 July, 2026

Western Tabloid

HOLA
HOLA

Prince Harry's UK visit overshadowed by royal drama: Why he can't stay at Buckingham Palace as Meghan Markle stays behind

06 July, 2026

Other

TN
TN

Prince Harry will go to London without Meghan: why he won't be staying at Buckingham Palace after all.

08 July, 2026

NewsCord Digest

Get every Britain story like this one, in one email

Daily or weekly, only the topics you follow, each with the difference our analysis found across the outlets covering it.

Set up your digest

More on Britain