
Donald Trump Calls Off Planned U.S. Attack on Iran After Saudi Arabia, Qatar, UAE Request
Key Takeaways
- The United States postponed a planned attack on Iran scheduled for Tuesday.
- Postponement followed Gulf leaders' requests—Qatar, Saudi Arabia, UAE.
- Negotiations with Tehran were underway toward a diplomatic deal.
Strike Paused for Talks
US President Donald Trump announced on Monday that he was calling off a planned U.S. attack on Iran, which he said was scheduled for Tuesday, at the request of Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates to allow peace talks to continue.
Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform that the leaders of the three Gulf nations asked him to hold off because “serious negotiations are now taking place” and they believed that “a deal will be made, which will be very acceptable to the United States of America, as well as all countries in the Middle East, and beyond.”

Trump said he had “instructed” Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Dan Caine and the U.S. military “ to be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice, in the event that an acceptable deal is not reached.”
The announcement came as Iran said it had formally responded to a new U.S. proposal, and days after Trump issued escalating public warnings including a late Sunday message declaring the “clock is ticking” and that “there won't be anything left” of Iran if no deal was reached.
Gulf Leaders Named
Multiple outlets tied the pause to specific Gulf leaders, with Trump saying he was asked to delay by the Emir of Qatar, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and UAE President Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
In a Truth Social statement, Trump said, “I have been asked to hold off on our planned military attack of the Islamic Republic of Iran,” adding that the proposed agreement would ensure “NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN.”

The National | Western Alternative reported Trump said the postponement may be indefinite, while he told journalists at a healthcare event that he put the strike off “hopefully maybe forever, but possibly for a little while.”
Trump also said he had informed Israel and other people in the Middle East that were involved with the effort, while warning that the US military had been ordered to remain ready for a “full, large-scale assault” if talks fail to end the war started by the US and Israel in late February.
Nuclear Demand and Next Steps
The proposed deal Trump highlighted centers on nuclear limits, with outlets repeating his demand that it would include “NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN,” even as he instructed the military to be prepared for a “full, large scale assault” if an acceptable agreement is not reached.
“Trump says delaying Iran attack at request of Gulf leaders Washington (United States) (AFP) – US President Donald Trump said he was postponing a planned attack on Iran scheduled for Tuesday at the request of Gulf leaders amid "serious negotiations" with Tehran”
Iran’s position, as described through Reuters and other reporting, included that its points of view were presented to the American side in return and that “Therefore, the process continues through Pakistan,” with Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei confirming the diplomatic process continues through Pakistan.
The Hindu also reported that the US has shown flexibility on allowing Iran to maintain limited peaceful nuclear activities under the supervision of the International Atomic Energy Agency, while a senior Iranian source said Washington agreed to free “one quarter” of frozen Iranian assets according to a phased timetable.
With the ceasefire described as fragile and negotiations still ongoing, Trump’s warnings remained central to the stakes, including his message that “For Iran, the Clock is Ticking” and that he had threatened renewed military strikes if negotiations fail.
More on Iran

Iran’s Persian Gulf Strait Authority Launches X Account With Real-Time Hormuz Updates
10 sources compared

Trump Cancels Planned Attack on Iran After Emir of Qatar, Saudi Crown Prince Request
15 sources compared

Trump Calls Off Tuesday Iran Attack After Qatar, Saudi Arabia, UAE Leaders Ask Him To Hold Off
40 sources compared

Iran Tightens Strait of Hormuz Control as Mohsen Rezaei Warns Gulf of Oman Graveyard for U.S. Forces
11 sources compared