DR Congo Government And Rwanda-Backed M23 Agree Roadmap For Peace Talks In Switzerland
Image: UA.NEWS

DR Congo Government And Rwanda-Backed M23 Agree Roadmap For Peace Talks In Switzerland

23 August, 2026.DR Congo.16 sources

DRC government and AFC/M23 agreed a roadmap with sequenced steps for peace talks. Roadmap outlines timelines for negotiations under the Doha framework.

16 outlets1 divide2 facts unevenly covered

Read them yourself

Do not take our word for it. Here is what they published.

All 16 outlets

Full story

Roadmap After Swiss Talks

The Democratic Republic of the Congo government and the Rwanda-backed M23 rebel group agreed on a roadmap for peace talks after five days of meetings in Switzerland from August 17 to August 21.

a “roadmap setting out sequenced steps and timelines for negotiations”

Al JazeeraAl Jazeera

In the joint statement, the parties said they developed a “roadmap setting out sequenced steps and timelines for negotiations” under the Doha Framework Agreement signed in November 2025.

Image from Al Jazeera
Al JazeeraAl Jazeera

They also agreed to establish a mechanism to monitor progress and address challenges in fulfilling obligations and commitments under the framework, and they welcomed progress in operationalising the ceasefire verification mechanism.

A ceasefire verification mission is due to arrive in Minembwe, in South Kivu province, on Monday, with the highland region described as having seen fierce fighting in recent months.

The talks were attended by representatives including the United States, Qatar, Togo, Switzerland and the African Union Commission, as the parties reviewed progress and challenges in the Doha peace process.

Ceasefire Reporting and Claims

The parties also affirmed “the importance of a standardised method for reporting allegations of ceasefire violations,” and they said they would set up a mechanism to address problems implementing the peace deal they signed late last year in Qatar.

France 24 reported that the two sides agreed on “the importance of a standardised method for reporting allegations of ceasefire violations” and said a first ceasefire verification mission is due in Minembwe on Monday.

Image from Al-Jazirah Net
Al-Jazirah NetAl-Jazirah Net

Even as the roadmap was agreed, fighting continued in eastern DR Congo, and Al Jazeera said an AFC/M23 spokesman, Lawrence Kanyuka, claimed that DRC “coalition forces” launched air raids using kamikaze drones against densely populated areas in the Minembwe region earlier on Saturday.

Al Jazeera added that it could not immediately verify the claim, while the United Nations warned in July that the security situation in North and South Kivu had been further destabilised by the growing use of drones by the warring sides.

The same Al Jazeera report tied the crisis to an Ebola outbreak, saying some 2,500 people had died from the virus since May.

What’s at Stake Next

The roadmap’s next steps are framed around implementing the Doha Framework Agreement, including commitments on prisoner exchanges, humanitarian access and restoring state authority, while disagreements remain over territorial control and the transfer of detainees.

released 15 prisoners and handed them over to M23

AOL.co.ukAOL.co.uk

AOL.co.uk said the agreement aimed to lay foundations for comprehensive peace and noted that earlier this month Democratic Republic of Congo authorities released 15 prisoners and handed them over to M23 and its political wing, the AFC.

The BBC said the parties pledged to “pursue negotiations towards comprehensive peace and conflict resolution” while setting up a mechanism to monitor the ceasefire, but it reported that fighting continued in North and South Kivu despite repeated ceasefire commitments.

The BBC also said the conflict is closely linked to tensions between DR Congo and neighbouring Rwanda, with Rwanda saying DR Congo has failed to dismantle the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR) and DR Congo denying support for the FDLR while accusing Rwanda of backing M23 with troops and weapons.

With the first verification mission due to take place on Monday in Minembwe, the immediate consequence described across the reports is that ceasefire monitoring and allegations reporting will be put into practice while the security situation remains fragile on the ground.