Gas Explosion At Liushenyu Coal Mine In Shanxi Kills At Least 82
Image: WFMZ

Gas Explosion At Liushenyu Coal Mine In Shanxi Kills At Least 82

23 May, 2026.China.16 sources

Key Takeaways

  • Gas explosion at Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi province killed at least 82 people.
  • Around 247 workers were underground when the blast occurred.
  • Rescue efforts are underway to reach those still trapped.

Blast in Shanxi

A gas explosion at the Liushenyu coal mine in Qinyuan county, Changzhi city, in China’s Shanxi province killed at least 82 people, with state media reporting 9 trapped earlier and rescue efforts still underway.

82 dead, 9 trapped in coal mine accident in northern China: State media Rescue efforts are underway

ABC NewsABC News

ABC News said the incident occurred Friday night local time and that carbon monoxide levels "exceeded limits" in the mine, according to Xinhua.

Image from ABC News
ABC NewsABC News

Al Jazeera reported that state media revised the earlier death toll of 90 to "82 deaths," and said 247 workers were on duty underground when the blast ripped through the mine on Friday.

The BBC reported the blast happened at 19:29 local time (11:29 GMT) on Friday, with 247 workers reportedly on duty and more than 100 people said to be saved as hundreds of rescuers were sent to the site.

In the aftermath, CNN said the blast happened some 300 meters below ground and that the explosion site was reported to have filled with water and debris from broken walls.

Xi orders accountability

Chinese President Xi Jinping urged authorities to intensify efforts to prevent major accidents, telling regions and departments to "thoroughly investigate, rectify all types of risks and hidden dangers" and prevent major and serious accidents.

Al Jazeera reported that an investigation team sent by China’s State Council would conduct a "rigorous and uncompromising" probe following Xi’s remarks.

Image from Al Jazeera
Al JazeeraAl Jazeera

The BBC said officials apologised for confusion over the death toll, describing the situation as chaotic at the beginning that led to an unclear headcount and an incorrect figure.

CNN reported that Xi instructed Vice Premier Zhang Guoqing to attend the scene on Saturday evening, and that Zhang Wenbo, chief of the city’s emergency management bureau, warned that "toxic and harmful gas has exceeded the limit for a long time" and there was a risk of secondary disasters.

Wang Yong, one of the hospitalized miners, told CCTV in a video interview that he smelled sulfur "like firecrackers" and saw smoke, and said he told people to run as others were choked by fumes.

Rescue hurdles and risks

The BBC said the rescue operation encountered difficulties because "water has built up near the explosion site" and because "blueprints provided by the mine did not match the actual conditions."

CNN reported that rescuers’ attempts were complicated by an underground map provided by the coal mining company that did not match actual underground conditions, forcing them to search all the tunnels rather than targeting a specific location.

The BBC also said China’s Ministry of Emergency Management sent 345 personnel from six rescue teams to help with the operation, and that officials warned of further risks ahead.

Beyond the immediate response, PBS (AP) said the explosion was under investigation and local officials cited "serious violations" of the law by the mine’s operator, while Xinhua later reported those responsible had been "placed under control."

More on China