Full story
Charles Young Park shooting
A gunman shot five people at Charles Young Park in downtown Lexington, Kentucky, during East End Day on Saturday evening, killing 16-year-old Di'Zhon Robertson and injuring four others.
““We don’t have any indication that this one is random, and therefore we don’t see that the community is at any wide threat.””
Lexington Police Chief Lawrence Weathers said the victims included a 4-year-old, a 14-year-old, and two adults with non-life-threatening injuries, and he told reporters there were no known suspects at that time.
NBC News reported that Weathers said “A lot of incidents like this that we deal with are not random,” adding “We don’t have any indication that this one is random, and therefore we don’t see that the community is at any wide threat.”
WDRB reported that the Fayette County Coroner's Office identified the person killed as Di'Zhon Robertson, and that he died at UK Hospital just after 7 p.m.
Calls for tips, no arrests
As of Sunday, the Lexington Police Department had confirmed that no arrests had been made in connection with the mass shooting, according to LEX 18 News.
To encourage information, the Youth Peace & Justice Foundation, also known as the Uvalde Foundation for Kids, offered a $5,000 reward for information leading to the direct identification or arrest of the suspect(s), and founder Daniel Chapin said, “One person is dead, four others were wounded and two of those victims are children.”

LEX 18 News reported that police asked people with information to contact the Lexington Police Department at (859) 258-3600 and to submit anonymous tips to the Bluegrass Crime Stoppers by phone at (859) 253-2020.
In a statement carried by WKYT, Mayor Linda Gorton said, “Our community is coming together to pray for those who were wounded yesterday, and for the young man we lost and his family and friends.”
Investigation and community impact
Police responded to reports of shots fired in the 200 block of Midland Avenue around 6:48 p.m. Saturday, and the Lexington Fire Department dispatched firefighters one minute later, according to LEX 18 News.
“Police responded to the scene of the 200 block of Midland Avenue around 6:48 p.m. Saturday.”
The investigation continued with roads blocked off, and LEX 18 News said Midland Avenue remained blocked off to the public as of 9 p.m. Saturday while authorities sought information.
At the scene, Devine Carama, director of ONE Lexington, said he was “eight inches away from gun fire” and described opening fire in a peaceful event “unacceptable,” while WKYT reported Carama’s statement that “Opening fire into a crowd at a peaceful event, in broad daylight, with women and children present is unacceptable.”
WKYT also reported that the City of Lexington issued an emergency mobilization plan declaring a police staffing emergency at 7:24 p.m. and instructed all Third Shift officers to report for duty.




