Full story
Canada attacked in Tehran
Iran’s foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei slammed Canada for what he described as Ottawa’s subservient role in supporting US military aggression against Iran, reacting in a post on X on Sunday evening.
“Washington calls Canada its 51st state; Washington imposes tariffs on Canadian goods”
Baghaei wrote that “Washington calls Canada its 51st state; Washington imposes tariffs on Canadian goods; Washington insults Canada and threatens to punish it over wildfire smoke,” and he added “And Ottawa's response? ‘Understood, Sir!’”.

He said Ottawa, in an apparent bid to appease Washington, is participating in the “unlawful US war of choice” against Iran, and he asked rhetorically, “What's the reward?”
Baghaei concluded with a rebuke that “This is not hockey night in Canada; it is Washington's farm team,” framing Canada as a Washington proxy in the aggression.
IRGC warns of shift
In parallel to the foreign ministry criticism of Canada, PressTV’s news headlines carried remarks from Brigadier General Yadollah Javani, saying Iran’s Armed Forces have so far taken a defensive approach to the enemy’s aggression but “may take an offensive approach in the future.”
Javani reiterated that “Iran has never started a war,” while also warning that any action needed to defend the country, ensure its security, and neutralize the enemy’s threats will be taken at the appropriate time.

In a separate PressTV item, Javani told a televised interview that “The enemy should know that it cannot catch us off guard,” and he added, “Instead, it is the enemy that must anticipate strategic surprises.”
The same PressTV coverage described Javani’s view that Iran’s responses have thus far been purely defensive, but that the defensive stance is poised to evolve into a transformative shift in strategic doctrine.
Doctrinal change and stakes
Mehr News Agency also reported that Brigadier General Yadollah Javani said Iran’s appointment decrees reflected a “transformational” approach to Iran’s defence doctrine, with new appointments described as veterans of the Iran-Iraq war.
“maximum deterrence" and a new posture in which defensive operations could take on an offensive character”
Javani said the IRGC command under Major General Ahmad Vahidi had been tasked with “maximum deterrence” and a new posture in which defensive operations could take on an offensive character.
The same Mehr News Agency account quoted Javani saying, “We have never been the ones to start a war, but since we are in the middle of a war,” and it added that the enemy should learn from the decrees and expect “strategic surprises.”
Separately, Middle East News framed the shift as Iran reframing its military doctrine from traditional deterrence to “deterrence defense,” noting that August 10, 2026 marked a milestone tied to new leadership appointments and a move toward a more proactive posture.


