Israeli Military Opens Criminal Investigations Into Hind Rajab And Rafah Paramedic Killings
Image: Ynetnews

Israeli Military Opens Criminal Investigations Into Hind Rajab And Rafah Paramedic Killings

19 August, 2026.Gaza Genocide.21 sources

IDF opened criminal investigations into Hind Rajab’s death after admitting troops fired on her car. Internal probes also cover the deaths of 15 Palestinian medics in Rafah in 2025.

4.0We read these line by lineThe New York Times framed this story hardest. 7 of 21 sources analysed.See it →
21 outlets2 divides1 fact unevenly coveredseverity 2/10

Read them yourself

Do not take our word for it. Here is what they published.

All 21 outlets

Full story

Criminal probes ordered

Israel’s military said Wednesday it would open criminal investigations into the killings of 5-year-old Hind Rajab and 15 Palestinian paramedics in Gaza, while deciding not to open criminal probes into three other attacks that killed aid workers from World Central Kitchen and Doctors Without Borders.

The military said it would not launch criminal investigations into three other attacks that killed aid workers from World Central Kitchen and Doctors Without Borders.

KSATKSAT

The IDF ordered Military Police investigations into the January 2024 death of Hind Rajab and the March 2025 killing of 15 Palestinians in Tel al-Sultan in Rafah, after it said it had completed reviews of about 150 incidents since the October 7 massacre.

Image from Al Jazeera
Al JazeeraAl Jazeera

In the Hind Rajab case, the military said troops fired at a family vehicle while it was traveling against the evacuation direction previously announced to residents, killing five occupants while Hind and her cousin Layan initially survived.

In the Rafah paramedic case, the military said troops set up an ambush along a main access route, fired on vehicles identified as belonging to Hamas, and later said 15 Palestinians were killed, with the force crushing the vehicles and covering the bodies with metal netting.

The IDF also said it cleared troops of criminal wrongdoing in the World Central Kitchen strike, after it concluded that commanders’ decisions did not cross the criminal threshold despite failures in the process.

Competing accounts and quotes

Al Jazeera reported that Israel’s military admitted it fired on the car carrying Hind Rajab and announced a criminal investigation, after earlier denials and after journalistic investigations including by Al Jazeera.

In Al Jazeera’s account, Palestinian Red Crescent spokesperson Eid Azizi said, “We are not obligated to prove the truth because it is already proven to the whole world,” adding, “We shouldn’t have reached this point if they respected and followed the international humanitarian law.”

Image from Al-Monitor
Al-MonitorAl-Monitor

The BBC described the IDF’s statement that it would open a criminal investigation into Hind, her family and the paramedics’ killings, and quoted the IDF saying it was due to “alleged failures in the co-ordination of the movement of the Palestine Red Crescent ambulance.”

The BBC also reported that Hind’s grandmother, also named Hind Rajab, told The Associated Press by phone that the Israeli investigation is not enough and called for an international probe, saying, “An international investigation is required to uncover the truth and hold all those responsible accountable.”

While the IDF said it would not launch criminal investigations into three other attacks involving aid workers, the AP reported that the military’s statement did not mention other high-profile killings it has pledged to investigate throughout the war, including Israeli strikes on a hospital in southern Gaza that killed five journalists in August 2025, including Mariam Dagga.

What’s at stake next

The IDF’s criminal-probe decisions were framed as part of a process that it said examined “exceptional operational incidents” during wartime, with the Military Advocate-General’s Corps issuing its first landmark war crimes report since October 7 regarding over 150 probes.

resulted in the opening of two criminal probes, two disciplinary probes, and the closure of one of the cases.

The Jerusalem PostThe Jerusalem Post

In the Jerusalem Post’s description of the IDF’s report, investigations into five major cases resulted in the opening of two criminal probes, two disciplinary probes, and the closure of one case, and it said the update that 150 cases are under criminal investigation was a jump from the around 100 number told to the Post on June 18.

The Jerusalem Post also said the WCK incident was handled as disciplinary rather than criminal, after the report said the IDF surveillance officials misidentified WCK security officials as Hamas and then misidentified other WCK officials as armed.

For the Hind Rajab case, the Jerusalem Post said Offir ordered that the probe be continued as a full criminal probe, and it described the “most serious part” as the second strike on rescuers sent to save her.

In the Rafah paramedic case, the IDF review described in ynetglobal and ynetnews said troops bulldozed over bodies and vehicles and buried them in a mass grave, while the IDF said U.N. and rescue workers were only able to reach the site a week later to dig out the bodies—an outcome that rights groups and UN officials have tied to demands for accountability.

Story read · 21 outlets · 2 disagreements · 1 fact unevenly covered

Coverage map

Western Mainstream (9)

Western Alternative (2)

Local Western (2)

West Asian (1)

How each outlet frames it

Every outlet we compared, the headline it ran, and a link to the original article.

We scored these line by line

Our Watchdog read these 7 articles sentence by sentence. 0 means no framing found, 10 means severe. How we score.

The New York Times

Israel Opens Criminal Inquiries Into Killings of Hind Rajab, 5, and of Medics

19 August, 2026

The Jerusalem Post

IDF war crimes report probes WCK, Hind Rajab, Red Crescent cases

19 August, 2026

France 24
France 243.7 / 10

Israeli army launches criminal probe into its troops' killing of five-year-old Hind Rajab

19 August, 2026

Al-Monitor
Al-Monitor2.7 / 10

Israel army admits firing on car in death of five-year-old Hind Rajab

19 August, 2026

ynetglobal
ynetglobal2.5 / 10

IDF orders criminal probes into Hind Rajab and Rafah paramedic killings, clears WCK strike

19 August, 2026

NBC News
NBC News2.3 / 10

Israeli military launches criminal probe into killing of Palestinian girl Hind Rajab in Gaza

19 August, 2026

Al Jazeera
Al Jazeera1.2 / 10

Israel admits firing on car carrying Hind Rajab, symbol of Gaza’s suffering

19 August, 2026

Western Mainstream

AP News
AP News

Israeli military launches criminal probes into killings of Hind Rajab and Palestinian paramedics

19 August, 2026

BBC
BBC

Israeli army orders criminal investigation into killing of Palestinian girl Hind Rajab in Gaza

19 August, 2026

CBC
CBC

Israel opens criminal probes over killings of 6-year-old Palestinian girl Hind Rajab, Gaza rescue workers

19 August, 2026

CBS News
CBS News

Israeli military orders criminal investigations into killings of 5-year-old Hind Rajab and 15 others in Gaza

19 August, 2026

Reuters
Reuters

Israel opens criminal probes over killings of Hind Rajab and Gaza rescue workers, military says

19 August, 2026

The Independent
The Independent

Israeli military announces criminal investigation into killing of Palestinian girl Hind Rajab in Gaza

19 August, 2026

Other

BioBioChile
BioBioChile

Israeli Army acknowledges attack on car carrying Palestinian girl in 2024: opened investigation

19 August, 2026

Latin American

El Tiempo
El Tiempo

Who was Hind Rajab, the 5-year-old Gaza girl that the Israeli army shot in a car and whose death will be investigated after two years?

19 August, 2026

Folha de S.Paulo
Folha de S.Paulo

Israeli Army will investigate the death of girl Hind Rajab and rescue workers in Gaza

19 August, 2026

Israeli

Haaretz
Haaretz

Israeli Army Orders Criminal Probes Into Killing of Hind Rajab, Gaza Medics

19 August, 2026

Ynetnews
Ynetnews

IDF orders criminal probes into Hind Rajab and Rafah paramedic killings, clears WCK strike

19 August, 2026

Local Western

KSAT
KSAT

Israeli military launches criminal probes into killings of Hind Rajab and Palestinian paramedics

19 August, 2026

V2 Radio
V2 Radio

Israeli army orders criminal investigation into killing of Palestinian girl Hind Rajab

19 August, 2026

Western Alternative

RTE.ie
RTE.ie

Israeli military opens probe into killing of Hind Rajab

19 August, 2026

NewsCord Digest

Get every War on Gaza story like this one, in one email

Daily or weekly, only the topics you follow, each with the difference our analysis found across the outlets covering it.

Set up your digest

More on Gaza Genocide