Netanyahu Pressured Israeli Intelligence to Endorse Iran Nuclear Program “Completely Destroyed” Claim
Image: ایران اینترنشنال

Netanyahu Pressured Israeli Intelligence to Endorse Iran Nuclear Program “Completely Destroyed” Claim

04 July, 2026.Gaza Genocide.13 sources

Netanyahu pressed security and intelligence to endorse claim Iran's nuclear program was completely destroyed. Israeli intelligence agencies rejected the request to endorse the complete destruction claim.

13 outlets4 divides3 facts unevenly coveredseverity 6/10

Full story

Dispute Over Iran Claim

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office pressured Israel’s intelligence and security establishment to endorse claims that Iran’s nuclear program had been “completely destroyed” after the end of the 12-day war between Israel and Iran in June 2025.

“There was one small problem with that statement. “It simply wasn’t true.”

Palestine ChroniclePalestine Chronicle

The confrontation reportedly took place hours after the war ended, with Israeli daily Yedioth Ahronoth saying Israeli intelligence officials refused to issue such an assessment and instead pointed to damage that was “significant—but incomplete.”

Image from Al-Jazeera Net
Al-Jazeera NetAl-Jazeera Net

A senior intelligence official reportedly refused to sign the requested document, telling his superior: “I cannot sign this.”

The report described resistance within Israel’s Atomic Energy Commission, where Brigadier General Moshe Edri, director general of the commission, agreed to help prepare an assessment but sought approval from senior nuclear scientists who rejected an initial draft as “heavily distorted.”

Pressure, Compromise, and Quotes

Yedioth Ahronoth reported that Netanyahu’s office intensified pressure on security, intelligence and military officials to produce an assessment confirming that Iran’s nuclear facilities had been destroyed, reinforcing a claim made by U.S. President Donald Trump following U.S. strikes on Iran in June 2025.

The newspaper said preliminary Israeli assessments, based on satellite imagery, drone surveillance and other intelligence, concluded that the damage was “significant, but not complete, and certainly did not amount to total destruction.”

Image from DW
DWDW

A compromise document was reportedly drafted stating that U.S. strikes had destroyed critical infrastructure at Fordow and significantly delayed Iran’s nuclear ambitions, while avoiding any claim that the country’s nuclear program had been eliminated.

The final version included a caveat that long-term gains would depend on preventing Iran from regaining access to its remaining stockpile of enriched nuclear material, with the report saying Israeli experts estimated Iran still possessed approximately 440 kilograms of fissile material, enough for roughly 11 nuclear weapons.

What’s at Stake Next

The dispute over the “completely destroyed” narrative unfolded alongside broader tensions over Washington’s peace negotiations with Iran, with The Times of Israel reporting that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and U.S. President Donald Trump agreed to meet in the US in the near future during a phone call Friday.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and US President Donald Trump agreed to meet soon in the US

The Times of IsraelThe Times of Israel

The Times of Israel also said the US and Iran signed a memorandum of understanding to extend the ceasefire, reopen the Strait of Hormuz, and undertake 60 days of negotiations on a final deal covering Iran’s nuclear program, while Israel was not a party and its fight with Iran had also paused.

In parallel, Israeli officials were preparing to present options for another attack, with DW reporting that Netanyahu would try to persuade Trump that Iran’s missile program expansion is a serious threat that may require swift action.

DW further quoted White House spokeswoman Anna Kelly saying, “The IAEA and the Iranian government have assessed the U.S. assessment that the 'Hammer Midnight' operation has completely destroyed Iran's nuclear capabilities,” as Israel weighed concerns about rebuilding nuclear enrichment sites and ballistic missile production sites.

Story read · 13 outlets · 4 disagreements · 3 facts unevenly covered

Coverage map

How each outlet frames it

Every outlet we compared, the headline it ran, and a link to the original article.

West Asian

Al-Jazeera Net
Al-Jazeera Net

Screaming and a sharp confrontation.. Behind the scenes of the dispute between Netanyahu and the intelligence about Iran's nuclear destruction

04 July, 2026

Tabnak
Tabnak

Israel's attack causes Iran to pivot toward a covert nuclear program / Trump is Netanyahu's accomplice

04 July, 2026

Türkiye Today
Türkiye Today

Israeli intel rejects Netanyahu request to back Iran nuclear claim: Report

04 July, 2026

ایران اینترنشنال
ایران اینترنشنال

NBC News: Netanyahu offers Trump a proposal for another attack on Iran with U.S. help.

04 July, 2026

Western Mainstream

DW
DW

Netanyahu's push to win Trump's support for another attack on Iran.

04 July, 2026

Euronews
Euronews

Is a second round of the Iran-Israel war on the way? Netanyahu adviser: Not attacking would be 'suicide'.

04 July, 2026

Western Alternative

Middle East Monitor
Middle East Monitor

Israeli intelligence rejects Netanyahu’s request to back claim Iran’s nuclear program was completely destroyed: Report

04 July, 2026

Palestine Chronicle
Palestine Chronicle

Israeli Intelligence Refused to Endorse Netanyahu’s Iran Nuclear Narrative – Report

04 July, 2026

Israeli

The Jerusalem Post
The Jerusalem Post

PM tells off IDF Chief of Staff over letter from Air Force head on Iran mission

16 June, 2026

The Times of Israel
The Times of Israel

Israeli Air Force chief confirms major strike on Iran was called off last week

16 June, 2026

The Times of Israel
The Times of Israel

Netanyahu’s office says he spoke with Trump, they agreed to meet soon

04 July, 2026

Ynetnews
Ynetnews

Netanyahu rebukes IDF chief over disclosure of canceled Iran strike

16 June, 2026

Other

اقتصادنیوز سایت مرجع اقتصاد ایران
اقتصادنیوز سایت مرجع اقتصاد ایران

Yediot Ahronot: Israel's intelligence agency rejected Netanyahu's request to back the claim of the complete destruction of Iran's nuclear program.

06 July, 2026

NewsCord Digest

Get every War on Gaza story like this one, in one email

Daily or weekly, only the topics you follow, each with the difference our analysis found across the outlets covering it.

Set up your digest

More on Gaza Genocide