Full story
Return without working roles
Prince Harry and Meghan are returning to the United Kingdom for an extended stay starting this fall, but they “won’t resume their roles as working members of the royal family,” the Associated Press reported from London.
“won’t resume their roles as working members of the royal family”
The couple’s children, Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5, have already enrolled at British schools and will start classes in September, according to a person close to the Sussexes cited by the Associated Press.

The Associated Press said the family plans to live at a private, non-royal residence outside of London while maintaining their home in Montecito, California, and their vacation property in Portugal.
The BBC said the move is expected to mean the Sussexes will not live in London and that “They are likely instead to be swapping a multi-million dollar mansion in California for a slightly chillier prospect in the UK countryside.”
The BBC also reported that “New terms for virtually all schools in England start by the second week of September,” tying the timing of the move to the start of the school year.
Security and reconciliation
Harry told the BBC, “I would love reconciliation with my family. There’s no point in continuing to fight anymore,” while the Associated Press reported that King Charles III was informed of the couple’s plans on Sunday.
The Associated Press said Harry replied “Nothing to say” when asked to discuss the reports by the AP at a roundtable event with U.S. veterans in Washington Wednesday night.

The BBC said the King “was told on Sunday that Harry and Meghan would be moving back,” and it added that the move “should not be seen as a precursor to a repaired relationship between Harry and his brother, the Prince of Wales.”
On security, the BBC noted that “In the US, the Sussexes have employed a private security team to protect them,” and it said there was no comment on whether that team would move to the UK.
The BBC also quoted Harry from last year’s security dispute, saying, “I can’t see a world in which I would bring my wife and children back to the UK at this point.”
Where they’ll live next
The BBC said the exact location of the Sussexes’ UK base has not been revealed, but it reported they “will not live in London” and that the Cotswolds and Northampton area are “rumoured to be where they will settle.”
“will not live in London”
The Associated Press reported the family plans to live at a private, non-royal residence outside of London, and it said Buckingham Palace has a policy of not commenting on speculation about non-working members of the royal family.
The BBC said the King was not involved in the decision made by his son and daughter-in-law, adding that “This was a surprise to him and the wider Royal Family.”
The Associated Press said the couple’s children will start classes in September and that rescue of their UK return includes a plan to maintain their home in Montecito, California, and their vacation property in Portugal.
The BBC also said the Sussexes will need to settle in so “we can expect the family to be back in the UK within the next 10 days,” framing the move as imminent.

