Thomas Tuchel Faces Backlash After England World Cup Squad Leaks Exclude Harry Maguire
Image: Vietnam.vn

Thomas Tuchel Faces Backlash After England World Cup Squad Leaks Exclude Harry Maguire

23 May, 2026.Sports.10 sources

Key Takeaways

  • The entire 26-man England squad was revealed via leaks the day before official selection.
  • Phil Foden, Cole Palmer, and Harry Maguire were notable omissions.
  • Tuchel's selections drew backlash, labeled ruthless, with criticism over excluding big names.

Leaked squad sparks row

England’s World Cup squad was announced on Friday morning after the entire 26-man roster was steadily revealed through leaks to journalists on Thursday, with the identities of who was in and who was out becoming clear from about 17:00 BST.

There were very few surprises when England's World Cup squad was announced on Friday morning

BBCBBC

BBC Sport said the leaks began around 17:00 BST at the same time as the majority of the players themselves were finding out, and it described Thomas Tuchel as selecting a group of players he fully trusts.

Image from BBC
BBCBBC

Manchester United defender Harry Maguire posted his “shock and disappointment” on social media after being informed of his non-selection on Thursday, and the BBC reported that Tuchel expressed displeasure with Maguire’s reaction.

Tuchel told the BBC sports editor Dan Roan, “It was not necessary to make it public,” linking Maguire’s public response to the controversy around the leaked selection process.

Tuchel’s trust vs backlash

Tuchel said, “My job is not necessarily to select the 26 most talented players,” and the BBC framed his comments around the idea that the squad should be committed to “team spirit and being unselfish.”

The BBC reported that Tuchel’s predecessor Gareth Southgate was praised for generating unity, and it said the first three players whose absence began to be leaked—Maguire, Phil Foden and Cole Palmer—were previously favourites of Southgate.

Image from football360.au
football360.aufootball360.au

The Guardian’s Football Daily described journalists convening at Wembley on Friday to confirm that the England Geopolitics World Cup squad leaked into the public domain on Thursday was “definitely the same as the one that was actually picked.”

In the Guardian’s account, Tuchel said, “I am very confident in the group that we chose,” while also arguing that “The best possible team is not necessarily the 26 most talented names.”

Group stage begins soon

The BBC reported that Tuchel telephoned players about their selection status beginning late on Thursday afternoon, and it said many included in the squad were informed by WhatsApp message.

The BBC added that Tuchel said, “I tried to show my respect and appreciation by telling them in personal phone calls,” while noting that “For some it was painful.”

The Guardian’s Football Daily listed the 26-man squad and included Harry Kane, Ivan Toney and Ollie Watkins in the forwards, while naming Jordan Pickford, Dean Henderson and James Trafford as goalkeepers as England prepares to travel to North America.

More on Sports