Full story
Interpol move over flotilla
Turkey said it would seek an Interpol red notice for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu as part of a domestic criminal case linked to an attack on activists seeking to deliver humanitarian aid to Gaza.
“Turkey said on Friday it would seek an Interpol red notice for the arrest of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu”
Turkish Justice Minister Akin Gurlek said arrest warrants had been issued for Netanyahu and another suspect on charges that included genocide, crimes against humanity and torture as part of a case against 35 people over the Israeli interception in international waters.

Reuters reported that in May Israeli forces opened fire on at least two vessels from the Global Sumud Flotilla sailing towards Gaza as it was making a renewed attempt to deliver aid after earlier missions were intercepted.
VOI.ID said Turkey accused Netanyahu of “genocide” related to Israel’s interception of a flotilla of aid ships for Gaza, adding that the Turkish Justice Minister asked the Ministry of the Interior to issue an Interpol Red Notice for Netanyahu and another Israeli citizen named Afek Moskovitch.
VOI.ID also said the Turkish Justice Ministry cited an arrest warrant issued on July 14, 2026 against Benjamin Netanyahu and Afek Moskovitch on charges of 'genocide' and other offenses including crimes against humanity and hijacking of transport vehicles.
Gurlek’s framing, Israel’s reply
Gurlek said the request was tied to arrest warrants issued for Netanyahu and Afek Moskovitch and that Turkey would use all available legal mechanisms to ensure Israel is held accountable for what Ankara calls its crimes in Gaza.
In a post on X, Gurlek wrote, "We will not allow the crimes committed in Gaza to be covered up or those responsible to be protected by a shield of impunity," according to the Anadolu Ajansı report.
The Jerusalem Post quoted Gurlek saying, "We categorically reject the notion that the Netanyahu administration, which is implementing a genocide policy in Gaza, is untouchable and unaccountable," and said Turkey would use national and international law to hold perpetrators accountable.
Reuters reported that Netanyahu’s office responded by calling the move a bid to intimidate, saying Erdogan’s "pathetic attempt to intimidate the leaders and soldiers of Israel, the only true democracy in the Middle East, will go nowhere."
The Anadolu Ajansı account also said Gurlek described the charges as stemming from "the armed intervention against civilians delivering humanitarian aid to Gaza in international waters and the detention of activists."
What’s at stake next
The Turkish Interpol request is tied to proceedings in Istanbul, where Reuters said the case involves 35 people over the Israeli interception in international waters.
“even if Interpol issues such a notice, it does not automatically require any country to arrest him”
Anadolu Ajansı reported that the prosecution is continuing before Istanbul's 11th High Criminal Court against 35 defendants, including Netanyahu and Afek Moskovitch, after arrest warrants were issued on July 14, 2026.
Reuters described an Interpol red notice as a request to police forces worldwide to locate and provisionally arrest a person pending extradition, while Interpol reviews requests before deciding whether to issue red notices.
Haaretz said even if Interpol issues such a notice, it does not automatically require any country to arrest him, and described the move as aimed at encouraging authorities in countries other than Turkey to arrest Netanyahu.
In the same Haaretz report, Netanyahu’s office condemned the move, saying, "Erdoğan is an antisemitic dictator who has massacred Kurds, harbors Hamas terrorists, occupies half of Cyprus, and jails record numbers of journalists and politicians who oppose him," as the dispute over Gaza-linked legal action continues.
