Arab News · West Bank · 20 Aug 2026

One side gets far more space.

2.5
/ 10 · article score
scored on 4 of 11 measures · thin coverage

Every highlight is a quote the model flagged. Tap one — or a metric below — to see what it measures and why it scored the way it did.

Headline analysisPerspective allocation

UK summons Israeli envoy over West Bank settlement project

<p> LONDON: Britain said on Wednesday it had summoned Israel’s charge d’affaires and demanded a halt to a major West Bank settlement project after Israeli authorities opened bidding for more than 1,200 homes in the area.<br /> The E1 plan, green-lit by Israel last year, has drawn international condemnation, with the UN secretary general saying at the time that it posed an “existential threat” to a contiguous Palestinian state.<br /> The project would further separate east Jerusalem, occupied and annexed by Israel and predominantly inhabited by Palestinians, from the West Bank.<br /> British foreign minister Ed Miliband called the move “an unacceptable and destructive act” and said it would “endanger the viability of a two-state solution.”<br /> “The Israeli Government must halt E1 plans immediately, retract the tender and stop all settlement expansion,” Miliband said in a statement.<br /> Miliband said he delivered the message directly to his Israeli counterpart Gideon Saar and that Israel’s charge d’affaires was summoned to the foreign ministry.<br /> The British government also pledged to unveil “a comprehensive set of measures” in the coming weeks, including sanctions targeting people involved in the “illegal settlement expansion.”<br /> “Britain will not stand back and accept the destruction of the two state solution,” Miliband said.<br /> Israel approved the plans for the roughly 12-square-kilometer&nbsp; parcel of land known as E1 just east of Jerusalem, in August last year.<br /> The plan seeks to build around 3,400 homes on the ultra-sensitive tract of land, which lies between Jerusalem and the Israeli settlement of Maale Adumim.<br /> The latest tender covers more than 1,200 housing units, according to Israeli NGO Peace Now.<br /> Peace Now said Israel’s housing ministry published the tender on August 18 and immediately opened it for bids.<br /> Submissions are due by October 19, one week before Israeli elections scheduled for October 27.<br /> The group said the homes accounted for about one-third of the planned E1 development and accused the government of trying to advance construction commitments before the vote.<br /> Israel heavily restricts the movement of West Bank Palestinians, who must obtain permits from authorities to travel through checkpoints to cross into east Jerusalem or Israel.<br /> Last year, Britain and France were among 21 countries who condemned Israeli approval of the E1 project, calling it a violation of international law and urging Israel to reverse the decision.<br /> Excluding east Jerusalem, the West Bank is home to around three million Palestinians, as well as about 500,000 Israeli settlers.</p>

Read the original article ↗