Araghchi Calls for Strong Iran-Saudi Ties as Trump Plans Nuclear Talks With Iran
Image: همشهری آنلاین، سایت خبری روزنامه همشهری

Araghchi Calls for Strong Iran-Saudi Ties as Trump Plans Nuclear Talks With Iran

18 May, 2026.Iran.6 sources

Key Takeaways

  • Iran and Saudi Arabia pledge to strengthen ties across mutual interests after ministerial talks.
  • Iran's foreign minister says Tehran will vigorously defend its territorial integrity.
  • Trump plans to hold nuclear talks with Iran, per Iranian media.

Araghchi, Trump contacts

Iran’s Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi spoke by phone with Faisal bin Farhan, the Foreign Minister of Saudi Arabia, and emphasized Iran’s determination to strengthen Iran-Saudi relations and to defend Iran’s sovereignty against any external threat with strength and vigor.

When on Friday a 32-year-old Iraqi was brought before a court in New York to be charged with planning to attack Jewish community sites in the US, a curtain was suddenly lifted on a corner of a shadowy world

The GuardianThe Guardian

In the same period, Hamshahri Online, citing Mehr and Reuters, said Donald Trump agreed to discuss the nuclear issue with Iranian representatives and that on January 10 contact was established between Iranian officials and the U.S. president.

Image from The Guardian
The GuardianThe Guardian

The Hamshahri Online account also said Trump signaled readiness to hold a meeting with Iranian officials while claiming that an action may be taken before the negotiation.

It further reported that Trump said Iran wants to negotiate and that there may be a meeting with them, adding that in fact a meeting with them is being planned.

Threats, arrests, strike

Noor News reported that Brigadier General Aziz Nasirzadeh, Minister of Defense and Armed Forces Logistics, disclosed mechanisms for using mercenary terrorists to kill and destroy in various regions of the country, including a pay rate of 500 million tomans for killing each person.

The same report said Nasirzadeh stated that a person had been arrested who had received 900 million tomans for such actions, and that some rioters present at the scene had used drugs.

Image from Al-Bawaba News
Al-Bawaba NewsAl-Bawaba News

Noor News also quoted Nasirzadeh describing a wounded person saying, "The same person who invited me to the riot beat me, and after a while, shot me and said you’re no longer useful."

In a separate account, the Independent Arabic described U.S. authorities raising the nationwide alert to the highest level in anticipation of terrorist acts that Iran and its proxies might carry out, and it quoted a Quds Force warning on Iranian television that "the enemy should know that his happy days are over, and he will not be safe anywhere in the world, not even in his own home."

Europe and US risks

The Guardian reported that Mohammed Saad Baqer al-Saadi, described as a senior commander of the Baghdad-based Kataib Hezbollah, was accused of being connected to 18 separate attacks including firebombings of synagogues and community centres in Belgium, the Netherlands and the UK.

Summary Rising fears that Iran will turn to terrorism after strikes that weakened its leadership and the assassination of Khamenei, with Tehran moving from 'strategic patience' to a more aggressive approach

Indbendnt ArabiyaIndbendnt Arabiya

The Guardian also quoted Tom Keatinge saying, "You don’t have to be in even the same time zone as your agents … They are disposable … They are cannon fodder," in describing a shift toward operatives for hire.

In parallel, the Boابة نيوز account said the International Centre for Counterterrorism (ICCT), based in the Netherlands, warned of an imminent and unprecedented wave of terrorist operations that could strike Europe and the United States.

That ICCT-linked report further cited data collected by researcher Matthew Levitt and said Iran uses criminal networks to target journalists, politicians, Kurdish dissidents, and Jewish communities.

More on Iran