Full story
Unknown strike in Hormuz
A vessel was struck by an “unknown projectile” while transiting outbound through the Strait of Hormuz, according to the UK Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) center, with the impact damaging the engine room and resulting in a crew casualty.
“The impact caused damage to the engine room and resulted in a crew casualty”
UKMTO said the remaining crew members were being assisted by the Omani Coast Guard and that no environmental impact had been reported, while authorities investigated the incident and the projectile involved.
The incident was reported early Tuesday, and UKMTO advised vessels transiting the Strait of Hormuz to exercise caution and report any suspicious activity.
The report came as shipping through the Strait of Hormuz remained severely disrupted, with daily vessel crossings in the single digits, down from more than 130 a day before the United States and Israel launched the war on Iran.
In a separate account, CNN Arabic said the UKMTO statement clarified that the ship was “on outbound voyage” and that the impact damaged the engine room and caused one crew member to be injured.
Iran, US, and navigation
The Times of Israel linked the UKMTO incident to Iran’s vow to keep the waterway shut until the US meets the terms of a June interim deal, citing Iranian state media that named Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf as telling lawmakers Tuesday that the strait would stay shut until the US meets conditions of the June memorandum of understanding.
The Times of Israel also said the incident came as shipping through the Strait of Hormuz remained severely disrupted, with vessel crossings still in the single digits, down from more than 130 on February 27, the day before Israel and the US launched the war on Iran.

Al Jazeera described the same UKMTO report that a vessel was struck by an “unknown projectile,” causing damage to the engine room and resulting in a crew casualty, with the remaining crew assisted by the Omani coastguard.
Al Jazeera added that the memorandum of understanding between the US and Iran aimed at easing hostilities and unblocking the waterway expired on Monday, while Iran and Oman continued separate talks on future navigation arrangements through the strait.
CNN Arabic further reported that UKMTO said the impact caused one crew member to be injured and that assistance was being provided to the rest of the crew by the Omani Coast Guard.
What’s at stake next
UKMTO’s guidance to vessels transiting the Strait of Hormuz to exercise caution and report any suspicious activity underscored the immediate operational risk after the engine-room damage and crew casualty reported in the UKMTO alert.
“raising fears of disruptions to shipping and global energy supplies”
The Times of Israel said the US responded to Iran’s closure of Hormuz with a blockade on Iran-linked shipping, and it described the June 17 memorandum of understanding as opening a 60-day window to negotiate a deal on Iran’s nuclear program.
The Times of Israel also reported that preliminary shipping data on Tuesday showed the previous day’s crossings in the Strait of Hormuz were still in single digits, and it cited Kpler shiptracking data for counts such as six commodity ships transiting on Monday.
In parallel, Anadolu Ajansı reported that the Strait of Hormuz has seen escalating tensions amid the US-Iran war, raising fears of disruptions to shipping and global energy supplies despite diplomatic efforts to consolidate understandings on freedom of navigation.
In the CNN Arabic account, UKMTO’s statement that the impact damaged the engine room and caused one crew member to be injured framed the incident as a continuing hazard during low navigation movement through the strait.


