Gideon Sa’ar Rejects UK Demand to Halt Israel’s E1 Settlement Project in West Bank
Image: SANA

Gideon Sa’ar Rejects UK Demand to Halt Israel’s E1 Settlement Project in West Bank

19 August, 2026.West Bank.12 sources

Developing · updated 1h ago · 12 outlets

Britain summoned Israel’s envoy and demanded halting the E1 tender for 1,200+ homes. Israel slammed the demand; Gideon Sa'ar engaged in responding to the UK stance.

2.7We read these line by lineYnetnews framed this story hardest. 4 of 12 sources analysed.See it →
12 outlets1 divide1 fact unevenly covered

Read them yourself

Do not take our word for it. Here is what they published.

All 12 outlets

Full story

E1 tender sparks row

Israel’s foreign minister Gideon Sa’ar rejected UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband’s demand to halt the E1 settlement project after Israeli authorities opened bidding for more than 1,200 homes in the occupied West Bank.

called the move "an unacceptable and destructive act"

France 24France 24

Miliband said the move was “an unacceptable and destructive act” and warned it would “endanger the viability of a two-state solution,” while the UK said it had summoned Israel’s chargé d’affaires and demanded the Israeli government halt E1 plans, retract the tender, and stop settlement expansion.

Image from Al Jazeera
Al JazeeraAl Jazeera

The E1 plan, green-lit by Israel last year, would further separate east Jerusalem, occupied and annexed by Israel and predominantly inhabited by Palestinians, from the West Bank, and the UN secretary general had said at the time that E1 posed an “existential threat” to a contiguous Palestinian state.

The latest tender covers more than 1,200 housing units, according to Israeli NGO Peace Now, with submissions due by October 19, one week before Israeli elections scheduled for October 27.

France 24 reported that Miliband delivered the message directly to his Israeli counterpart Gideon Saar and that Israel’s charge d'affaires was summoned to the foreign ministry.

SourcesFrance 24France 24

Sanctions threatened, rebuttal

The UK said it would prepare targeted sanctions against people involved in Israeli settlement expansion and other measures in response to the E1 project east of Jerusalem, and Miliband said the British government would announce a broader package of measures in the coming weeks.

Miliband told reporters, “Britain will not stand back and accept the destruction of the Two-State Solution,” while the Jerusalem Post said Israel moved forward with marketing of the first 1,400 housing units in E1 as part of a larger plan for 3,412 homes.

Image from Al-Jazeera Net
Al-Jazeera NetAl-Jazeera Net

Sa’ar responded by rejecting “outright” Miliband’s statement and wrote on X that “The Jewish people have the right to live throughout the Land of Israel, just as the British have the right to live in London and throughout the United Kingdom.”

Ynetnews described the UK’s position as “Unacceptable, destructive and endangering the two-state solution,” and said Miliband summoned Israel’s chargé d’affaires in Britain, Christian Cantor, for a reprimand.

The dispute unfolded as the E1 tender deadline for bids was set for October 19, about a week before the election date of October 27, according to Ynetnews.

Two-state stakes and fallout

The Palestinian Authority and the UK condemned the Israeli decision to issue a tender for more than 1,200 new housing units under Israel’s E1 settlement project, with the Colonization and Wall Resistance Commission warning that advancing the plans would confine Palestinians in the occupied West Bank to “disconnected enclaves surrounded by settlements.”

disconnected enclaves surrounded by settlements

Al JazeeraAl Jazeera

Al Jazeera reported that the plan approved by Israel last year aims to build more than 3,400 housing units on roughly 12 square kilometers of Palestinian land and would link thousands of settlements in occupied East Jerusalem to the Maale Adumim settlement bloc, effectively bisecting the West Bank.

Al Jazeera’s Nida Ibrahim said that if the E1 project were realized, it would be the “last nail in the coffin” of the two-state solution, adding that the E1 project had been delayed several times but was now “happening on the ground.”

Ir Amim said in a news release that even a “partial implementation would create irreversible facts on the ground,” fundamentally altering the geographic and strategic character of the area by severing the northern West Bank from the south and isolating East Jerusalem.

Peace Now accused the “Netanyahu-Smotrich government” of trying to bury the two-state solution through the project, and said implementing E1 and closing the area to Palestinians threatens to disconnect dozens of Bedouin communities, including Khan al-Ahmar, and lead to their expulsion from their land.

SourcesAl JazeeraAl Jazeera

Story read · 12 outlets · 1 disagreement · 1 fact unevenly covered

Coverage map

How each outlet frames it

Every outlet we compared, the headline it ran, and a link to the original article.

We scored these line by line

Our Watchdog read these 4 articles sentence by sentence. 0 means no framing found, 10 means severe. How we score.

Ynetnews
Ynetnews2.7 / 10

Anger and condemnation over E1: 'Retract the tender and stop all settlement expansion'

20 August, 2026

Arab News
Arab News2.5 / 10

European powers condemn Israeli settlement expansion plans in West Bank

20 August, 2026

The Jerusalem Post

UK threatens sanctions over Israel's E1 settlement expansion in West Bank

20 August, 2026

Al Jazeera
Al Jazeera2.0 / 10

Palestinians and the UK condemn Israel's destructive E1 settlement plan.

19 August, 2026

West Asian

Al-Jazeera Net
Al-Jazeera Net

700 hotspots and 1,200 assaults annually... 'gradual nibbling' is reshaping the settler outposts and redefining the geography of the West Bank

20 August, 2026

Al-Talfizzuwn Al-`Arabi
Al-Talfizzuwn Al-`Arabi

Escalation of settlement activity in the West Bank... injuries, land seizures, and expansion of settlements

19 August, 2026

Al-Najah Al-Ikhbari
Al-Najah Al-Ikhbari

The occupation seizes 25,000 dunams of the West Bank lands over 3 years

19 August, 2026

SANA
SANA

Israel announces seizure of 1,152 dunams of land in Ramallah and Nablus

19 August, 2026

Other

Demócrata
Demócrata

Netanyahu abre una carretera con su apellido en el asentamiento de Ariel en Cisjordania

19 August, 2026

Межа. Новини України.
Межа. Новини України.

Britain Plans New Sanctions Over Israeli Settlement Expansion in E1

20 August, 2026

Western Mainstream

France 24
France 24

Israel slams UK demand to halt West Bank settlement project

20 August, 2026

Western Alternative

Middle East Eye
Middle East Eye

UK condemns Israel's E1 settlement expansion in occupied West Bank

20 August, 2026

NewsCord Digest

Get every West Bank story like this one, in one email

Daily or weekly, only the topics you follow, each with the difference our analysis found across the outlets covering it.

Set up your digest

More on West Bank