Israeli Airstrikes Kill 11 in Southern Lebanon as Yoav Gallant Retracts Indefinite Presence Claims
Image: وكالة صدى نيوز

Israeli Airstrikes Kill 11 in Southern Lebanon as Yoav Gallant Retracts Indefinite Presence Claims

16 August, 2026.Lebanon.82 sources

Full story

Airstrikes and a backtrack

Israeli airstrikes on southern Lebanon killed 11 people and wounded 19 others in the towns of Ansar and Deir al-Zahrani, with a whole family of seven among the dead, according to Lebanese officials.

killing 11 people and wounding 19 others in the towns of Ansar and Deir al-Zahrani

Akhir khabarAkhir khabar

In parallel, Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant retracted earlier statements about Israel staying in southern Lebanon for an indefinite period, linking any withdrawal to Hezbollah’s disarmament and the removal of what he described as the group’s threat across Lebanon.

Image from Aajil
AajilAajil

Gallant said the occupation state “will not withdraw from the security zone in Lebanon unless Hezbollah is disarmed and the threat posed by the group across Lebanon is removed,” and he added that he issued instructions for the army to be ready for a prolonged presence.

The U.S. State Department official cited in the reporting said Israel’s permanent military presence in southern Lebanon does not align with the commitments in the U.S.-brokered agreement, which calls for a gradual Israeli withdrawal contingent on verification of Hezbollah’s disarmament.

The June 26 agreement described in the reporting ties the gradual withdrawal of Israeli forces from southern Lebanon to the Lebanese government’s verification of the disarmament of all non-state armed groups, while Hezbollah rejected disarmament because it was not a party to the agreement.

Accusations and competing narratives

Lebanon’s Prime Minister Najib Mikati’s government warned that the Israeli escalation since dawn was a “very dangerous” development that could undermine efforts to stabilize, and it stressed that the victims of the Ansar airstrike “are not military infrastructure.”

Hezbollah said the Israeli attacks “will be met with what is appropriate,” while Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu justified the strikes by saying the party violated the ceasefire and attacked Israeli soldiers in the south.

Image from Akhir khabar
Akhir khabarAkhir khabar

Lebanon’s President, General Michel Aoun, condemned the ongoing Israeli attacks on the south and “its repeated violations of the framework agreement (…) and international law protecting civilians,” according to a presidential statement.

In a separate thread of the dispute, Lebanon’s government accused Israel of deliberately destroying homes and civilian infrastructure across the country’s south, with Prime Minister Nawaf Salam saying Israel’s “attacks, incursions, demolitions and the systematic destruction of homes represent a serious violation” of international law.

A U.S. State Department official told Al Jazeera that Washington “expects all parties to act in a manner consistent with the framework they agreed to,” adding that Israel “has clearly stated that it has no territorial ambitions in Lebanon.”

Negotiations, verification, and what’s at risk

As the conditional truce framework continues, Reuters-cited reporting said Israel and Lebanon agreed on a short list of potential contributors to a proposed mechanism to verify the disarmament of Hezbollah during talks held in Rome last week under American auspices.

Permanent military presence in southern Lebanon does not fit the commitments in the framework

Al-Jazirah NetAl-Jazirah Net

The reporting described disagreements over inspections and international cover, including Israel’s push to broaden verification to private property and homes, while the Lebanese army resisted growing pressures over the past year to inspect private property.

A U.S. State Department official said Washington expects all parties to act in a manner consistent with the framework they agreed upon, adding: “Permanent military presence in southern Lebanon does not fit the commitments in the framework.”

In parallel, Al Jazeera reported that Israeli strikes hit the Nabatieh district of southern Lebanon just hours after the deadliest day of Israeli raids in Lebanon since a U.S.-brokered ceasefire, with at least 11 people killed and “hundreds of families fleeing for safety clogging roads to the north.”

The AP’s roundup also tied the 11 deaths to the fragile ceasefire environment, noting the strikes were among the deadliest since a shaky truce between Israel and Iran-backed Hezbollah went into effect on June 20.

Story read · 82 outlets · 2 disagreements · 2 facts unevenly covered

Coverage map

How each outlet frames it

Every outlet we compared, the headline it ran, and a link to the original article.

We scored these line by line

Our Watchdog read these 8 articles sentence by sentence. 0 means no framing found, 10 means severe. How we score.

The Jerusalem Post

Hezbollah disarmament 'integral' to Lebanon-Israel security process, US official tells 'Post'

16 August, 2026

The Jerusalem Post

Gulf states may be fed up with Trump's handling of the Middle East

17 August, 2026

Anadolu Ajansı

Israeli army prepares for possible days-long escalation in Lebanon: Report

16 August, 2026

Anadolu Ajansı

Israeli army claims it killed senior Hezbollah commander in southern Lebanon

16 August, 2026

The New York Times

Israeli Strikes in Lebanon Kill 11, Health Officials Say

15 August, 2026

Al Jazeera
Al Jazeera2.1 / 10

Why has Israel escalated attacks in southern Lebanon despite ceasefire?

16 August, 2026

The Jerusalem Post

IDF kills 11 in southern Lebanon after three Israeli soldiers seriously wounded in Hezbollah attack

16 August, 2026

The Guardian
The Guardian1.2 / 10

Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon kill 11 in worst toll since June truce

16 August, 2026

West Asian

Aajil
Aajil

After American criticisms… Gallant retracts his statements about Israel staying in southern Lebanon.

13 August, 2026

Akhir khabar
Akhir khabar

11 dead in Israeli airstrikes on southern Lebanon, and Hezbollah vows to respond.

15 August, 2026

Al Jazeera
Al Jazeera

Israeli strikes in south Lebanon a ‘violation of international law’: PM

13 August, 2026

Al Jazeera
Al Jazeera

Israel strikes south Lebanon again as families flee north | Israel attacks Lebanon News

16 August, 2026

Al Jazeera
Al Jazeera

Erdogan says Israeli attacks on Lebanon are a serious concern for Türkiye | Israel attacks Lebanon

17 August, 2026

Al-Jazirah Net
Al-Jazirah Net

Under American sponsorship… four countries have been nominated to deploy their troops in southern Lebanon.

13 August, 2026

Al-Jazirah Net
Al-Jazirah Net

Israeli media: the army is preparing for several days of fighting in Lebanon

17 August, 2026

Al-Jumhuriya Al-Khaleej
Al-Jumhuriya Al-Khaleej

Israel vows to strike southern Lebanon again

16 August, 2026

Al-Manar TV Lebanon
Al-Manar TV Lebanon

Israeli occupation forces fire atillery shells at Bani Hayyan town, South Lebanon: Al-Manar reporter

16 August, 2026

Al-Manar TV Lebanon
Al-Manar TV Lebanon

Crews Extinguish Fires Caused by Israeli Attacks on Western Bekaa

10 August, 2026

Al-Manar TV Lebanon
Al-Manar TV Lebanon

Al-Manar correspondent in South Lebanon: Zionist artillery targets Ali Al-Taher area

01 August, 2026

Al-Manar TV Lebanon
Al-Manar TV Lebanon

Zionist enemy carries out a new bombing in Bani Hayyan town, South Lebanon: Al-Manar reporter

12 August, 2026

Al-Manar TV Lebanon
Al-Manar TV Lebanon

Israeli enemy carries out a new bombing in Bani Hayyan town, South Lebanon: Al-Manar reporter

12 August, 2026

Al-Manar TV Lebanon
Al-Manar TV Lebanon

Israeli Enemy Steps up Attacks, Demolitions in Southern Lebanon

14 August, 2026

Al-Taliyfizyun Al-Arabi
Al-Taliyfizyun Al-Arabi

Uncertainty surrounds Tehran-Washington negotiations... Israeli escalation in Lebanon, Gaza, and the West Bank.

15 August, 2026

Annahar
Annahar

A message from Hezbollah to Britain and Azerbaijan: send your soldiers to Lebanon is forbidden!

17 August, 2026

CNN Arabic
CNN Arabic

Nawaf Salam reposts a statement about "Israeli attacks" in the south

13 August, 2026

CNN Arabic
CNN Arabic

Israel announces the killing of a senior Hezbollah leader in a strike on southern Lebanon.

16 August, 2026

Daily Sabah
Daily Sabah

Israeli strikes kill 11 in Lebanon as Hezbollah vows response

15 August, 2026

Ici Beyrouth
Ici Beyrouth

South Lebanon: eleven dead in Israeli strikes, hundreds of civilians flee Nabatieh

15 August, 2026

Ilke Haber Ajansi
Ilke Haber Ajansi

The occupation forces target southern Lebanon with internationally prohibited phosphorus bombs despite the ceasefire

12 August, 2026

Kurdistan24
Kurdistan24

Hezbollah Warns of ‘Appropriate’ Response After Deadly Israeli Strikes in Lebanon

15 August, 2026

L'Orient Today
L'Orient Today

Israeli forces detonate homes in Zawtar Sharqieh, set fires in Bekaa as south Lebanon escalation continues

09 August, 2026

Madar Nyooz
Madar Nyooz

In response to the occupation's violations: Hezbollah targets a D9 bulldozer and a Merkava tank in southern Lebanon.

01 August, 2026

Mehr News Agency
Mehr News Agency

Israeli regime intensifies strikes on south Lebanon

03 August, 2026

Monte Carlo Internationale
Monte Carlo Internationale

Explosions and Fires in South Lebanon.. Israel Accused of Burning the Region

14 August, 2026

MTV Lebanon
MTV Lebanon

Western Bekaa Fire Rages On, Civil Defense Battles to Contain It

09 August, 2026

Naharnet
Naharnet

Airstrikes, shelling and detonations continue in south Lebanon despite ceasefire

12 August, 2026

Naharnet
Naharnet

11 killed, 19 hurt in Israeli strikes on southern towns as Israel says Hezbollah attacked troops in Ali al-Taher

15 August, 2026

PressTV
PressTV

Heavy clashes reported as Israel targets south Lebanon with airstrikes, artillery, phosphorous shelling

16 August, 2026

Shabakat Yafa Al-Ikhbariyya
Shabakat Yafa Al-Ikhbariyya

Israel shells and blows up towns in southern Lebanon

14 August, 2026

Shafaqna al-‘Arabī
Shafaqna al-‘Arabī

11 Lebanese were killed by occupation airstrikes, and 3 Israeli soldiers were wounded.

15 August, 2026

Sky News Arabia
Sky News Arabia

South Lebanon is burning after the ceasefire, with accusations against Israel of inflaming it.

13 August, 2026

Tatbiq Nabd
Tatbiq Nabd

tayyar.org - A large fire sweeps western Beqaa.. and Balan appeals to the army to save the citizens

09 August, 2026

TRT World
TRT World

Israeli forces strike southern Lebanon as defence minister vows no withdrawal

13 August, 2026

TRT World
TRT World

Israeli army prepares for days-long fighting in Lebanon, plans further Hezbollah strikes: Report

17 August, 2026

Türkiye Today
Türkiye Today

Israel targets southern Lebanon as military reportedly readies new attacks

17 August, 2026

شفق نيوز
شفق نيوز

Israeli army blasts echo across south Lebanon - Shafaq News | Latest breaking news in Iraq and the world

02 August, 2026

وكالة صدى نيوز
وكالة صدى نيوز

Report: The Israeli Army Prepares for Possible Escalation in Lebanon for Several Days

16 August, 2026

Western Mainstream

AP News
AP News

Iran claims Qatar is holding pilots, Israeli strikes kill 11 in Lebanon, and other Middle East news

15 August, 2026

BBC
BBC

Eleven killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon, authorities say

15 August, 2026

CBS News
CBS News

Iran War Updates: Iran strikes another ship in Strait of Hormuz as Israel steps up Lebanon attacks

16 August, 2026

Euronews
Euronews

"Contrary to the framework agreement"... An American official: Washington rejects permanent Israeli forces in southern Lebanon

13 August, 2026

Euronews
Euronews

Israeli strikes that killed 11 send 'clear message', says Lebanon

15 August, 2026

France 24
France 24

Israel wants 'more serious' talks with Lebanon after deadly strikes

15 August, 2026

Reuters
Reuters

After US criticism, Israel ties Lebanon withdrawal to Hezbollah disarmament

13 August, 2026

RFI
RFI

War in the Middle East: Israel announces it has killed several Hezbollah members in southern Lebanon

01 August, 2026

The Guardian
The Guardian

Israel deliberately starting wildfires in southern Lebanon, firefighters say

12 August, 2026

Today
Today

Israeli escalation continues; Issa says 'everything will stop' if Hezbollah disarms - L'Orient Today

14 August, 2026

Other

ASHARQ AL-AWSAT English
ASHARQ AL-AWSAT English

Israel Expands Lebanon Campaign by Setting Fires to Forested Areas

10 August, 2026

Bloomberg Línea
Bloomberg Línea

Israel Attacks Lebanon as the U.S. Prepares a New Round of Sanctions on Iran

16 August, 2026

Daily Beirut
Daily Beirut

Two-week mission in Ali Taha: Hizballah prepares

15 August, 2026

خبرگزاری بین المللی قدس
خبرگزاری بین المللی قدس

Heavy clashes reported as Israel targets south Lebanon with airstrikes, artillery, phosphorous shelling

17 August, 2026

Western Alternative

Democracy Now!
Democracy Now!

Firefighters Accuse Israeli Forces of Deliberately Starting Wildfires in Southern Lebanon

13 August, 2026

International Business Times
International Business Times

Hezbollah Drone Wounds Three Israeli Troops, Triggering Strikes That Killed 11 in Lebanon

17 August, 2026

Middle East Eye
Middle East Eye

UN mission in Lebanon criticises Israeli incursions

01 August, 2026

Middle East Monitor
Middle East Monitor

Israeli army attacks southern Lebanon, demolishes buildings despite framework deal

14 August, 2026

Palestine Chronicle
Palestine Chronicle

Qassem Rejects ‘Humiliating’ Israel Talks as Attacks Continue across Lebanon

15 August, 2026

Israeli

Haaretz
Haaretz

Opinion | How did the IDF become the army of wimpish condemnations?

13 August, 2026

Haaretz
Haaretz

Analysis • Israel is playing into Hezbollah's hands by impeding a breakthrough in Lebanon

17 August, 2026

Haaretz
Haaretz

Israel Braces for Hezbollah Response as Militants Remain Trapped Underground in Lebanon

16 August, 2026

Haaretz
Haaretz

Did Israel's most expensive war deliver the security it promised?

16 August, 2026

i24NEWS
i24NEWS

After 26 years.. Lebanon opens the door for the return of South Lebanon Army family members from Israel

12 August, 2026

The Jerusalem Post
The Jerusalem Post

IDF preventing Lebanese Army from protecting pilot zones, LAF claims

12 August, 2026

The Times of Israel
The Times of Israel

Netanyahu’s takedown of Barkat: Chronicle of a political elimination foretold

14 August, 2026

The Times of Israel
The Times of Israel

Israeli strikes reported in south Lebanon as Defense Minister Katz vows to ‘settle scores’

16 August, 2026

The Times of Israel
The Times of Israel

Israeli strikes kill 11 in south Lebanon after Hezbollah wounds 3 IDF soldiers in attack

16 August, 2026

The Times of Israel
The Times of Israel

UK, US both said probing alleged ties between China and an anti-Israel protest group

16 August, 2026

Ynetnews
Ynetnews

Kushner meets Hamas, heads to Netanyahu to close Gaza deal as Washington loses patience

16 August, 2026

Ynetnews
Ynetnews

Four generations in uniform: The Arab Muslim family that made policing a tradition

17 August, 2026

Asian

NDTV
NDTV

Video | Israel Bombs South Lebanon, 'Massive' Strikes Reported By State Media

12 August, 2026

South China Morning Post
South China Morning Post

Israeli air strikes on Lebanon kill 11 people in another test to truce

16 August, 2026

Vietnam.vn
Vietnam.vn

Israel attacks the south of Lebanon again despite the framework agreement.

14 August, 2026

Local Western

www.taghribnews
www.taghribnews

Israel launches a new attack in South Lebanon despite the ceasefire

10 August, 2026

NewsCord Digest

Get every Lebanon story like this one, in one email

Daily or weekly, only the topics you follow, each with the difference our analysis found across the outlets covering it.

Set up your digest

More on Lebanon