Masked Gunman Opens Fire at Brooklyn’s Coney Island Fourth of July Barbecue, Wounding 8
Image: The Jerusalem Post

Masked Gunman Opens Fire at Brooklyn’s Coney Island Fourth of July Barbecue, Wounding 8

05 July, 2026.Crime.11 sources

Eight people, including four children, were shot during July 4 celebrations in Coney Island. Masked gunman wearing black ski mask opened fire on a family gathering.

11 outlets4 divides5 facts unevenly coveredseverity 2/10

Beat 1 · The verdict

Al Jazeera and ABC vary in location detail; amNewYork broadens to other city shootings.

Read them yourself

Do not take our word for it. Here is what they published.

All 11 outlets

Full story

Coney Island barbecue attack

A masked gunman opened fire during a Fourth of July family barbecue in Brooklyn’s Coney Island late Saturday night, wounding eight people including four children, New York Police Department Commissioner Jessica Tisch said.

Eight people, including four children, were shot during a Fourth of July family barbecue

ABC NewsABC News

ABC News reported that the shooting happened around 10:37 p.m. in the courtyard of a residence at West 30th and Surf Avenue, where a masked gunman fled on foot and remained at large.

Image from @globaltimesnews
@globaltimesnews@globaltimesnews

Tisch said the preliminary investigation found no indication that an argument or altercation involving the suspect occurred at the barbecue before the shooting, and police recovered a TEC-9-style firearm equipped with an extended magazine at the scene.

The victims included a 21-year-old woman shot in the chest who is hospitalized in critical condition, while seven others were described as having non-life-threatening gunshot wounds or being in stable condition, according to ABC News and NYPD reporting.

SourcesABC NewsABC News

Mayor and police responses

At a Sunday news conference, New York City Mayor Zohran Mamdani said, “There is no place for this kind of violence in our city. We will not tolerate it. We will fight it with every single tool at our disposal,” as Tisch described the attack.

Tisch told reporters that the preliminary investigation indicates “a family barbecue was taking place in the courtyard when an unknown male dressed in all black and wearing a black ski mask approached the fence line along Surf Avenue and fired multiple rounds into the courtyard,” before fleeing.

Image from ABC News
ABC NewsABC News

ABC News said detectives were working to identify the suspect, who fled on foot and remains at large, and the police recovered 10 discharged shell casings along with the firearm.

The Hill also reported that “EMS responded and transported all eight victims to local area hospitals,” with seven victims listed in stable condition and the 21-year-old female listed in critical condition.

Investigation and broader crime

Police said they were investigating whether the Coney Island shooting is connected to a gang-related homicide that occurred earlier this week on the same block, with Tisch telling ABC News, “We are looking into whether there is a nexus between the two incidents.”

“We are looking into whether there is a nexus between the two incidents,” Tisch said.

ABC NewsABC News

CNN reported that authorities had not released the names of the victims or confirmed a motive, and Tisch said there was no indication of any argument or altercation at the barbecue before the shooting.

Beyond the Brooklyn incident, amNewYork said twelve people were shot across three boroughs on July 4-5, with the worst incident in Coney Island at 2929 West 31st St. near Surf Avenue just before 10:40 p.m. on July 4.

The Hill added that no arrests had been made, though police said a firearm was recovered, while ABC News said no arrests have been made and the investigation is ongoing.

Story read · 11 outlets · 4 disagreements · 5 facts unevenly covered

Coverage map

Western Mainstream (7)

West Asian (1)

Local Western (1)

How each outlet frames it

Every outlet we compared, the headline it ran, and a link to the original article.

Asian

@globaltimesnews
@globaltimesnews

8 shot in New York on Fourth of July - Global Times

05 July, 2026

Western Mainstream

ABC News
ABC News

Masked suspect sought in shooting that left 8 people, including 4 children, wounded in Brooklyn's Coney's Island: NYPD

05 July, 2026

CNN
CNN

Coney Island shooting: Gunman opens fire at July 4 barbecue in Brooklyn, wounding 8, including 4 children

05 July, 2026

NBC News
NBC News

Deadly Fourth of July: At least 6 killed in shootings, explosions that wound dozens across the country

05 July, 2026

People
People

8 People Injured, Including 4 Children, in Mass Shooting During Fourth of July Celebrations at Coney Island

05 July, 2026

TF1 Info
TF1 Info

New York: a shooter kills four people in a skyscraper before being found dead.

05 July, 2026

The Guardian
The Guardian

At least eight shot, including four children, in New York’s Coney Island

05 July, 2026

The Hill
The Hill

At least 8 people shot, including 4 children, in New York’s Coney Island on July 4: Reports

05 July, 2026

West Asian

Al Jazeera
Al Jazeera

8 injured, including 4 children, in New York City Fourth of July shooting

05 July, 2026

Local Western

amNewYork
amNewYork

GUN VIOLENCE IN NYC: 12 shot across July 4 celebrations, including several children in Brooklyn mass shooting

05 July, 2026

Israeli

The Jerusalem Post
The Jerusalem Post

At least eight shot, including four children, during New York Fourth of July celebrations

05 July, 2026

NewsCord Digest

Get every Crime story like this one, in one email

Daily or weekly, only the topics you follow, each with the difference our analysis found across the outlets covering it.

Set up your digest

More on Crime