Student Live-Streams School Shooting at Ateneo de Zamboanga University, Kills Classmate
Image: Vietnam.vn

Student Live-Streams School Shooting at Ateneo de Zamboanga University, Kills Classmate

18 August, 2026.Crime.21 sources

Developing · updated 1h ago · 21 outlets

Student livestreamed attack at Ateneo de Zamboanga University, killed a classmate, then committed suicide. Two people died in the incident, one student victim and the gunman.

21 outlets3 divides1 fact unevenly coveredseverity 2/10

Read them yourself

Do not take our word for it. Here is what they published.

All 21 outlets

Full story

Zamboanga livestream attack

A student live-streamed himself shooting and killing another student in a classroom at a school attached to Ateneo de Zamboanga University in the city of Zamboanga on Tuesday, then took his own life, an official said.

A student live-streamed himself shooting and killing another student

ReutersReuters

Reuters reported that the gunman brought a pistol and a rifle onto the school campus and fired at students inside the classroom, and that the video showed him entering one classroom, opening fire, changing weapons, and firing more rounds in a second classroom.

Image from 20Minutos
20Minutos20Minutos

The New York Times said the shooting took place around 8 a.m. local time at the junior high school of Ateneo de Zamboanga University, where the mayor of Zamboanga City, Khymer Olaso, said the boy shot and killed a male schoolmate before turning the gun on himself.

Reuters said the victim was a male grade 10 student and the gunman was a grade 9 student, with two others wounded, and that the victim was found on the fourth floor while the gunman was later found dead on the fifth floor.

The New York Times reported that Rev. Guillrey Anthony Andal, the president of Ateneo de Zamboanga University, said all other students had been evacuated safely and that classes at all levels of the university were suspended on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Officials, livestream, and counts

Mayor Khymer Adan Olaso told DZBB radio that authorities confirmed the gunman live-streamed the attack through a body-worn camera, and Reuters verified a live-stream video showing him entering classrooms and opening fire.

Al Jazeera reported that university president Ernald Andal confirmed there was no longer an active shooting and said there were no additional deaths or reported injuries, adding, "As of now, we confirm that there are two fatalities."

Image from ABC
ABCABC

The New York Times described a livestream clip verified by the paper in which the gunman walks down a hallway, stops at the door of a classroom, aims his weapon at a teacher, and then fires at students in a second classroom.

Reuters said the motive was not immediately clear, but a senior customs official told reporters that the shooter used a .40-caliber pistol issued by the Bureau of Customs to the student's father, and that a second weapon recovered was a licensed personal firearm also owned by the shooter's father.

Al Jazeera said police spokeswoman Shella Chang told AFP the investigation was ongoing and that authorities were still trying to identify the motive, while also reporting that the alleged attacker was a ninth-grade student who brought a "pistol and rifle" inside the school campus.

Investigation and school safety

Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr ordered law enforcement agencies to investigate and determine measures to be taken to prevent violence in schools, and Reuters quoted him saying, "Our schools are where we entrust our children to learn, to grow and to dream about the lives ahead of them."

"Our schools are where we entrust our children to learn

ReutersReuters

The Guardian said the university president, Ernald Andal, confirmed there was no longer an active shooting and no additional fatalities or reported injuries, and it quoted Andal saying, "We do not want any of these things to happen. We wish to prioritise the safety of all our students,".

Reuters said the incident came in the second school attack in the country in less than two months, following an attack in June at a public high school in Tacloban City where at least three students were killed and about 20 others injured.

The Guardian reported that in response to the June Tacloban attack, the government banned an online game, Gorebox, after it was discovered at least one of the alleged shooters regularly played it, and it said the department of education told a Senate committee last month that more support was needed to prevent a "copycat phenomenon".

DW reported that police asked the public to "refrain from sharing unconfirmed reports, photos, or videos that may cause unnecessary concern," while also saying police said the situation was under control and that classes at the university were suspended.

Story read · 21 outlets · 3 disagreements · 1 fact unevenly covered

Coverage map

How each outlet frames it

Every outlet we compared, the headline it ran, and a link to the original article.

Western Mainstream

20Minutos
20Minutos

Dos muertos en un tiroteo en un instituto del sur de Filipinas

18 August, 2026

ABC
ABC

Al menos dos muertos en un tiroteo en un instituto en Filipinas

18 August, 2026

BBC
BBC

Philippines: School shooting in Zamboanga leaves student dead

18 August, 2026

CNN
CNN

Student killed in Philippines school shooting

18 August, 2026

DW
DW

Philippines: Student livestreams school shooting

18 August, 2026

El Confidencial
El Confidencial

Dos estudiantes muertos y dos heridos en un tiroteo en un instituto del sur de Filipinas

18 August, 2026

El Periódico
El Periódico

Two students die in a shooting at a Catholic school in the Philippines.

18 August, 2026

Le Figaro
Le Figaro

Philippines: a high school student shot dead in a Catholic campus; the shooter commits suicide

18 August, 2026

NBC News
NBC News

Two students dead in Philippines school shooting including gunman, officials say

18 August, 2026

Reuters
Reuters

Philippine student live-streamed fatal school shooting before taking own life, official say

18 August, 2026

Sud Ouest
Sud Ouest

Shooting at a high school in the Philippines, a student killed and the shooter dead by suicide

18 August, 2026

The Guardian
The Guardian

Two dead including gunman in school shooting in southern Philippines

18 August, 2026

The New York Times
The New York Times

1 Dead After Student Livestreams School Shooting in the Philippines

18 August, 2026

West Asian

Al Jazeera
Al Jazeera

Two students killed in Philippine school shooting

18 August, 2026

Independent en Español
Independent en Español

A student fatally shot a classmate and then killed himself in the Philippines, according to the mayor.

18 August, 2026

Other

Antena 3 Noticias
Antena 3 Noticias

Nuevo tiroteo en Filipinas: un estudiante entra armado a un instituto en Zamboanga y abre fuego matando a una persona

18 August, 2026

Clarin
Clarin

Gunfire at a Philippine high school: two dead, including the student who opened fire and livestreamed the attack.

18 August, 2026

La Región
La Región

Sucesos: Al menos dos menores muertos en un nuevo tiroteo en un instituto en Filipinas

18 August, 2026

Telecinco
Telecinco

A student shoots a classmate dead before taking his own life at a Philippine high school: he wore a body camera to broadcast the attack

18 August, 2026

Asian

Bangkok Post
Bangkok Post

Two killed in school shooting in southern Philippines

18 August, 2026

Vietnam.vn
Vietnam.vn

Shooting at a school in the Philippines: the shooter is a 7th-grade student.

18 August, 2026

NewsCord Digest

Get every Crime story like this one, in one email

Daily or weekly, only the topics you follow, each with the difference our analysis found across the outlets covering it.

Set up your digest

More on Crime