
Three Sisters From Uxbridge Identified After Deaths in Sea Off Brighton Beach
Key Takeaways
- Three sisters from Uxbridge, London, died after bodies recovered near Brighton Beach on May 13.
- Sussex Police identified the victims as Jane Adetoro, Christina Walters, and Rebecca Walters.
- Discovered near Black Rock car park off Madeira Drive at 5:45am.
Sisters Found in Sea
Three sisters from the Uxbridge area of London—Jane Adetoro, 36, Christina Walters, 32, and Rebecca Walters, 31—were found dead in the sea off Brighton beach, with emergency services called at about 05:45 BST to a report of a person in the water near Black Rock car park in Madeira Drive.
Sussex Police said an investigation into how the three came to be in the water was ongoing and added, "There is no evidence to suggest third-party involvement or criminality, but specialist detectives are working hard to gather the full facts and circumstances of their deaths."

Their father, Joseph, described the loss as "unbearable grief" after his three "beloved" daughters died in a "terrible tragedy" on 13 May, and he said, "No words can truly describe the pain of losing three daughters in the prime of their lives."
Police said one line of inquiry being explored was that the women may have gone into the sea from the beach and got into difficulty, and it was understood they were first spotted at Brighton Palace Pier before drifting towards Brighton Marina.
Sussex Police said it had reviewed hundreds of hours of CCTV and made enquiries around the beach area to try to trace the women’s last movements, while also appealing for anyone with information to come forward.
Police Probe and Privacy
Chief Superintendent Adam Hays told reporters the force would "leave no stone unturned" in its investigation, while urging people to respect the family's privacy as they "come to terms with this terrible tragedy".
The BBC reported that Sussex Police said the probe includes a number of hypotheses about how the women came to be in the water, and that police had reviewed hundreds of hours of CCTV and made enquiries around the beach area to try to trace the women’s last movements.

In a separate account, the London Evening Standard said emergency services were called at around 5.45am last Wednesday near Black Rock car park off Madeira Drive, and it quoted the sisters’ father Joseph describing them as "unique and precious in your own special way."
The London Evening Standard also reported that police have reviewed CCTV and were taking CCTV from nightclubs, while officers appealed for anyone who saw the sisters around the Madeira Drive area between 10pm on 12 May and 5.30am on 13 May to come forward.
Sussex Police said the women’s next of kin were being supported by specialist officers "during this incredibly difficult time," and it said the investigation was ongoing to understand how the three came to be in the water.
Ongoing Investigation Stakes
Sussex Police said there is currently no evidence to suggest third-party involvement or criminality, but specialist detectives are working to gather the full facts and circumstances of the sisters’ deaths.
The Guardian said hundreds of hours of CCTV footage had been reviewed and inquiries made to businesses and properties around the beach area to try to track the sisters’ last movements, and it quoted Ch Supt Adam Hays saying, "This investigation will continue in earnest, with Jane, Christina and Rebecca’s family at its centre."
The Guardian also reported that anyone with information is asked to come forward, particularly anyone who saw the sisters around the Madeira Drive area between 10pm on 12 May and 5.30am on 13 May.
In the BBC’s account, Sussex Police said it had reviewed hundreds of hours of CCTV and made enquiries around the beach area, and it added that specialist detectives were working hard to gather the full facts and circumstances of the deaths.
The stakes for the investigation, as framed by police, include tracing the women’s last movements and determining how they came to be in the water, while the family’s next of kin are being supported by specialist officers during the ongoing process.
More on Crime
Three Die in Mountainair After First Responders Exposed to Unidentified Substance
12 sources compared

Portugal Police Arrest Mother and Stepfather After Two French Boys Found Alone Near Alcacer do Sal
13 sources compared

U.S. Indicts Raúl Castro Over 1996 Brothers To The Rescue Shoot-Down Killing Four Americans
17 sources compared

U.S. Charges Raúl Castro With Murder Over 1996 Brothers To The Rescue Shootdown
29 sources compared