Trump Orders Pentagon To Substantially Reduce Ulchi Freedom Shield Drills With South Korea
Image: 조선일보

Trump Orders Pentagon To Substantially Reduce Ulchi Freedom Shield Drills With South Korea

17 August, 2026.USA.10 sources

Developing · updated 1h ago · 10 outlets

Trump instructed the Pentagon to substantially reduce joint military exercises with South Korea. Seoul declined to participate in Iran denuclearization efforts, cited by Trump.

10 outlets1 divide1 fact unevenly coveredseverity 2/10

Full story

Exercises scaled back

U.S. President Donald Trump ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” joint military exercises with South Korea, directing Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth to scale down the training set to begin this week.

directed the Defense Department to scale down joint military exercises with South Korea

NBC NewsNBC News

Trump said the drills were costly and “send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile” to North Korea, citing his “very good relationship” with Kim Jong Un.

Image from BBC
BBCBBC

The exercises were scheduled to run as part of Ulchi Freedom Shield, with about 18,000 South Korean soldiers participating, and were described as including operations to counter drones, disrupt GPS signals and cyberattacks.

Reuters reported the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield joint military exercises were scheduled to run from August 17 to 27, while Trump said it was “too late to cancel” entirely hours before the start.

Iran refusal and North Korea

Trump linked the decision to South Korea’s refusal to join U.S. efforts to denuclearize Iran, writing, “While somewhat unrelated (?), I recently asked the President of South Korea if they would like to join us in the Denuclearization of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and they said, ‘No thanks!’”.

NBC News said Trump cited South Korea’s refusal to join the war in Iran and his “very good” relationship with North Korea’s Kim Jong Un as reasons for the scale-back.

Image from CBS News
CBS NewsCBS News

North Korea last week called the drills a “war rehearsal” and threatened to retaliate, and the BBC said Pyongyang had not yet commented on Trump’s announcement.

The BBC also reported that Seoul said the drills with the US would proceed “as scheduled,” even as Trump said he had instructed Hegseth to “substantially reduce” them.

What happens next

The scale-back was set to take effect immediately, with NBC News saying the training was set to start Monday only hours after Trump’s announcement, and Reuters describing the drills as expected to include operations to counter drones, disrupt GPS signals and cyberattacks.

The command was set to carry out the Ulchi Freedom Shield training Monday

NBC NewsNBC News

The BBC said the 11-day event was due to start Monday and would be similar in scale to previous years, with about 18,000 South Korean soldiers participating, while Reuters said the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises were scheduled to run from August 17 to 27.

NBC News reported that South Korea’s embassy in Washington and U.S. Forces Korea did not immediately respond to requests for comment, and it described U.S. Forces Korea as the sub-unified command tasked with carrying out the exercises.

The Reuters account also placed the decision against recent missile activity, saying North Korea last Wednesday fired a ballistic missile from its eastern coast towards the Sea of Japan, six days after a similar launch on August 6.

Story read · 10 outlets · 1 disagreement · 1 fact unevenly covered

Coverage map

How each outlet frames it

Every outlet we compared, the headline it ran, and a link to the original article.

Western Mainstream

BBC
BBC

Trump says US to scale back military drills with South Korea after it stayed out of Iran war

16 August, 2026

CBS News
CBS News

Trump orders scale-back of military exercises with South Korea after refusal to help with Iran's denuclearization

16 August, 2026

CNN
CNN

Trump says US will reduce military exercises with South Korea, citing lack of help with Iran

16 August, 2026

NBC News
NBC News

Trump orders military to ‘substantially reduce’ joint exercises with South Korea

16 August, 2026

Reuters
Reuters

Trump instructs Pentagon to reduce military exercises with South Korea

16 August, 2026

Other

MarketScreener España
MarketScreener España

Trump orders the Pentagon to reduce military drills with South Korea

16 August, 2026

Asian

South China Morning Post
South China Morning Post

Trump orders Pentagon to scale back joint military exercises with South Korea

17 August, 2026

조선일보
조선일보

Trump Orders Major Cut to South Korea-U.S. Joint Drills

17 August, 2026

Local Western

Star Beacon
Star Beacon

Trump orders Pentagon to scale back joint exercises with South Korea

16 August, 2026

WJLA
WJLA

Trump orders Pentagon to scale back on planned joint military exercises with South Korea

16 August, 2026

NewsCord Digest

Get every USA story like this one, in one email

Daily or weekly, only the topics you follow, each with the difference our analysis found across the outlets covering it.

Set up your digest

More on USA